Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   File Sharing XP Pro (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t229983-file-sharing-xp-pro.html)

Star@*.* 09-16-2005 10:55 AM

File Sharing XP Pro
 
Strange problem??
Two computers on local network both XPPro+SP2
Computer (1) 3 HDDs,
HDD1 (IDE) Partitions C:=OS, D:=Data, E:=Install/Update F:=Shared Files.
HDD2 (SATA) Partition G:=Video
HDD3 (SATA) Partition H:=Music
Computer (2) 1 HDD
Partitions C:=OS, D:=Data, E:=Install/Update, F:=Shared Files
Using simple file sharing.
Computer (1) can see and access all shared Folders/Files on Computer 2.
Computer (2) can see and access all shared Folders/Files on Computer 1
with the exception of any shared Folder/Files on Computer 1 F:partition.

If I copy the folder to another partition or open up a new share on any
other partition the contents of the folder are available.
Looked at everything and all looks ok. Even tried deleting the partition
and recreating it and made no difference.
The problem is related to this partition only as I have created new
shared folders on this partition and they show up as shared and in my
network places but am still unable to access the folder/files.

Error message
\\XPTEST\DedupedFiles is not accessible You might not have permission
to use this network resource, Contact the administrator of this server
to fing out if you have access rights.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command.



Brett Michaels From Poison 09-16-2005 12:49 PM

Re: File Sharing XP Pro
 
this sounds really stupid but it works.
After you share the folders, you need to first enable simple file
sharing(tools->folder options->Offline files).

For me to get it to work in a workgroup setting, i also had to drop a
shortcut to the folders in the "offline files folder" which will appear
in My Computer if simple file sharing is enabled.


Brett Michaels From Poison 09-16-2005 12:50 PM

Re: File Sharing XP Pro
 

Brett Michaels From Poison wrote:
> this sounds really stupid but it works.
> After you share the folders, you need to first enable simple file
> sharing(tools->folder options->Offline files).
>
> For me to get it to work in a workgroup setting, i also had to drop a
> shortcut to the folders in the "offline files folder" which will appear
> in My Computer if simple file sharing is enabled.


and if its not in my computer you can make it show on your desktop via
checkbox in tools->folder options->Offline files


why? 09-16-2005 01:41 PM

Re: File Sharing XP Pro
 

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:55:04 GMT, Star@*.* wrote:

star a star , lensman?

>Strange problem??
>Two computers on local network both XPPro+SP2


<long story snipped>

>Error message
> \\XPTEST\DedupedFiles is not accessible You might not have permission
>to use this network resource, Contact the administrator of this server
>to fing out if you have access rights.
>
>Not enough server storage is available to process this command.


That's your big clue(s) the error text, add the 2nd part of the message
to 'XP file share' and www.google.com


Web Results 1 - 10 of about 416,000 English pages for

xp file share Not enough server storage is available to process this
command

..(0.26 seconds)

The 1st hit contains the message you have, both parts.

Me

Duane Arnold 09-16-2005 02:30 PM

Re: File Sharing XP Pro
 
Star@*.* wrote in news:74smi19pqjjrojkpu007pnb0i5m1ba5uj4@4ax.com:

> Strange problem??
> Two computers on local network both XPPro+SP2
> Computer (1) 3 HDDs,
> HDD1 (IDE) Partitions C:=OS, D:=Data, E:=Install/Update F:=Shared

Files.
> HDD2 (SATA) Partition G:=Video
> HDD3 (SATA) Partition H:=Music
> Computer (2) 1 HDD
> Partitions C:=OS, D:=Data, E:=Install/Update, F:=Shared Files
> Using simple file sharing.
> Computer (1) can see and access all shared Folders/Files on Computer 2.
> Computer (2) can see and access all shared Folders/Files on Computer 1
> with the exception of any shared Folder/Files on Computer 1

F:partition.
>
> If I copy the folder to another partition or open up a new share on any
> other partition the contents of the folder are available.
> Looked at everything and all looks ok. Even tried deleting the

partition
> and recreating it and made no difference.
> The problem is related to this partition only as I have created new
> shared folders on this partition and they show up as shared and in my
> network places but am still unable to access the folder/files.
>
> Error message
> \\XPTEST\DedupedFiles is not accessible You might not have permission
> to use this network resource, Contact the administrator of this server
> to fing out if you have access rights.
>
> Not enough server storage is available to process this command.
>
>


You should disable Simple File Sharing on XP pro. *WHY* telling you
correct and it's also possible that you don't have the proper user
permissions on the share. With Simple File Sharing disabled on XP Pro,
you can go look at the Sharing by right clicking the Share and going to
Sharing & Security and look at the *permission* on the share. I was
getting that access denied message, because the Everyone account was
overriding permissions on the Share and it didn't have the permissions.

The link talks about Everyone and Authenticated user Groups on shares.

Duane :)

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

Brett Michaels From Poison 09-16-2005 04:22 PM

Re: File Sharing XP Pro
 
Yeah..actually simple file sharing is insecure but for a home
environment with low criticality of data and behind a firewall, it's
OK to use.

If youre running winXP home systems you have no choice to use this.
Most people call NOT IT to pay MS 200 for pro just for their home PCs


Duane Arnold 09-16-2005 05:17 PM

Re: File Sharing XP Pro
 
"Brett Michaels From Poison" <jms504@gmail.com> wrote in
news:1126887753.751586.205270@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com:

> Yeah..actually simple file sharing is insecure but for a home
> environment with low criticality of data and behind a firewall, it's
> OK to use.


I never said it wasn't.

>
> If youre running winXP home systems you have no choice to use this.
> Most people call NOT IT to pay MS 200 for pro just for their home PCs
>


I believe the OP is using XP Pro and it all depends on the home user's
NEEDS whether or not one uses XP Pro or Home. One gets what one pays for as
the old saying goes. I have no need for XP Home as it doesn't meet my
requirements and it may not meet other home users requirements either, such
as no IIS and 5 concurrent connects limitations to the machine.


Duane :)


Brett Michaels From Poison 09-16-2005 05:58 PM

Re: File Sharing XP Pro
 
You're exactly right Duane.
Speaking of flavors of windows, i'm reading that Vista is going to have
at least five different versions with more differences than WinXp's
differences. It's going to suck to have to shell out even more to get
steps of functionality..but such is life in Redmond.


Duane Arnold 09-16-2005 07:03 PM

Re: File Sharing XP Pro
 
"Brett Michaels From Poison" <jms504@gmail.com> wrote in
news:1126893535.024587.10140@o13g2000cwo.googlegro ups.com:

> You're exactly right Duane.
> Speaking of flavors of windows, i'm reading that Vista is going to have
> at least five different versions with more differences than WinXp's
> differences. It's going to suck to have to shell out even more to get
> steps of functionality..but such is life in Redmond.
>


I also use Linux. MS is my money maker and I have to keep pace. But there
is nothing stopping me from using Suse Linux and there needs to be more
competition to help drive MS cost down and keep them in check, for what
it's wroth. :)

Duane :)

why? 09-16-2005 07:19 PM

Re: File Sharing XP Pro
 

On 16 Sep 2005 10:58:55 -0700, Brett Michaels From Poison wrote:

>You're exactly right Duane.
>Speaking of flavors of windows, i'm reading that Vista is going to have


I wonder which one I have? It arrived yesterday and I haven't opened it.
I guess it's Beta 1, I hope there is a 64bit version.

<snip>

Me


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.