Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Is it safe to run my laptop without batteries? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t229438-is-it-safe-to-run-my-laptop-without-batteries.html)

Toolman Tim 09-04-2005 11:52 PM

Is it safe to run my laptop without batteries?
 
I just took both batteries out of my laptop, and boy is that a load off my
...... ummm.... errr.....uh...never mind.

--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.



ITSO azionista 09-05-2005 12:02 AM

Re: Is it safe to run my laptop without batteries?
 
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:52:49 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

> I just took both batteries out of my laptop, and boy is that a load off my
> ..... ummm.... errr.....uh...never mind.


LOL! Thanks for the <g>

--
The only easy day was yesterday.


philo 09-05-2005 12:07 AM

Re: Is it safe to run my laptop without batteries?
 
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:52:49 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

> I just took both batteries out of my laptop, and boy is that a load off my
> ..... ummm.... errr.....uh...never mind.



I have an acer that ran ok off the supply (no batteries in the machine)
I guess you could try it and see.


Toolman Tim 09-05-2005 12:11 AM

Re: Is it safe to run my laptop without batteries?
 
ITSO azionista wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:52:49 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> I just took both batteries out of my laptop, and boy is that a load
>> off my ..... ummm.... errr.....uh...never mind.

>
> LOL! Thanks for the <g>


;o)

--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.



Blinky the Shark 09-05-2005 01:26 AM

Re: Is it safe to run my laptop without batteries?
 
Toolman Tim wrote:
> I just took both batteries out of my laptop, and boy is that a load off my
> ..... ummm.... errr.....uh...never mind.


So you're asking if it's safe for your laptop or safe for your lap? :)


--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html

Render Me 09-05-2005 01:55 AM

Re: Is it safe to run my laptop without batteries?
 
try Duralast from Autozone ;-)

"Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message
news:kNLSe.23946$1g2.12241@fe05.lga...
> I just took both batteries out of my laptop, and boy is that a load off my
> ..... ummm.... errr.....uh...never mind.
>
> --
> Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
>




Toolman Tim 09-05-2005 02:42 AM

Re: Is it safe to run my laptop without batteries?
 
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> I just took both batteries out of my laptop, and boy is that a load
>> off my ..... ummm.... errr.....uh...never mind.

>
> So you're asking if it's safe for your laptop or safe for your lap?
> :)


I'm at an age where I no longer worry much about the 'lap' issues <g>

--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.



Whiskers 09-05-2005 12:56 PM

Re: Is it safe to run my laptop without batteries?
 
On 2005-09-04, Toolman Tim <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote:
> I just took both batteries out of my laptop, and boy is that a load off my
> ..... ummm.... errr.....uh...never mind.


I did that with my HP for a while, and had no problems. I have heard that
some machines don't like it though. One problem might be the 'BIOS'
settings being forgotten if the data is stored on RAM that needs a voltage
to be present all the time and there isn't a back-up battery, or the
back-up battery fails.

Another problem is that the open screen unbalances the machine when the
batteries are removed, making it more likely to fall off your lap. Which
could prove expensive.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~

Toolman Tim 09-05-2005 02:36 PM

Re: Is it safe to run my laptop without batteries?
 
Whiskers wrote:
> On 2005-09-04, Toolman Tim <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid>
> wrote:
>> I just took both batteries out of my laptop, and boy is that a load
>> off my ..... ummm.... errr.....uh...never mind.

>
> I did that with my HP for a while, and had no problems. I have heard
> that some machines don't like it though. One problem might be the
> 'BIOS' settings being forgotten if the data is stored on RAM that
> needs a voltage to be present all the time and there isn't a back-up
> battery, or the back-up battery fails.
>
> Another problem is that the open screen unbalances the machine when
> the batteries are removed, making it more likely to fall off your
> lap. Which could prove expensive.


Yeah - done that once already. But it's not that off balance.

--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.



Toolman Tim 09-05-2005 02:36 PM

Re: Is it safe to run my laptop without batteries?
 
Toolman Tim wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>> On 2005-09-04, Toolman Tim <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>> I just took both batteries out of my laptop, and boy is that a load
>>> off my ..... ummm.... errr.....uh...never mind.

>>
>> I did that with my HP for a while, and had no problems. I have heard
>> that some machines don't like it though. One problem might be the
>> 'BIOS' settings being forgotten if the data is stored on RAM that
>> needs a voltage to be present all the time and there isn't a back-up
>> battery, or the back-up battery fails.
>>
>> Another problem is that the open screen unbalances the machine when
>> the batteries are removed, making it more likely to fall off your
>> lap. Which could prove expensive.

>
> Yeah - done that once already. But it's not that off balance.


Although the operator is another issue...

--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.