Velocity Reviews

-   -   Widescreen Monitor Question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t229385-widescreen-monitor-question.html)

sharonf 09-04-2005 05:13 AM

Widescreen Monitor Question

I am looking at two 20 inch monitors. One is a wide screen. My question
is this: What kind of display considerations should I be aware of with
the wide screen? Would graphics display correctly or would I have bars
on the sides like with a wide screen TV?

Sharon

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 09-04-2005 06:57 AM

Re: Widescreen Monitor Question

sharonf wrote:
> I am looking at two 20 inch monitors. One is a wide screen. My question
> is this: What kind of display considerations should I be aware of with
> the wide screen? Would graphics display correctly or would I have bars
> on the sides like with a wide screen TV?

No, but your image would be somewhat distorted if you don't choose a
resolution to match the screen aspect ratio. For instance instead of
1024x768 you could choose 1280x768.

sharonf 09-04-2005 07:15 PM

Rgr wrote:
> sharonf wrote:
>
>> I am looking at two 20 inch monitors. One is a wide screen. My
>> question is this: What kind of display considerations should I be
>> aware of with the wide screen? Would graphics display correctly or
>> would I have bars on the sides like with a wide screen TV?

> No, but your image would be somewhat distorted if you don't choose a
> resolution to match the screen aspect ratio. For instance instead of
> 1024x768 you could choose 1280x768.

Thanks for the reply. Would the type of video card I use be a
consideration too?

Sharon

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 09-04-2005 09:13 PM

sharonf wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>
>> sharonf wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking at two 20 inch monitors. One is a wide screen. My
>>> question is this: What kind of display considerations should I be
>>> aware of with the wide screen? Would graphics display correctly or
>>> would I have bars on the sides like with a wide screen TV?

>> No, but your image would be somewhat distorted if you don't choose a
>> resolution to match the screen aspect ratio. For instance instead of
>> 1024x768 you could choose 1280x768.

> Thanks for the reply. Would the type of video card I use be a
> consideration too?

Yes, not all cards have the wide aspect resolutions as choices. Most of
the more recent ones do, especially if they're a decent brand name.