Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problems with external USB drive - resolved! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t229326-problems-with-external-usb-drive-resolved.html)

Rustiferion 09-03-2005 06:39 AM

Problems with external USB drive - resolved!

Some of you may remember the problem I had some time ago with the USB driver
failing for an AcomData external 80G drive - the driver caused bootup pauses
and failures, and access was denied by Windows due to an unexplained "Code
10" error, although Windows (eventually) continued to boot completion,
albeit without the ext. drive appearing in Win Explorer. Many helpful
people suggested driver fixes, sadly without success. I eventually shut off
the drive and hoped I would someday find a way to recover the data. You
might be interested to hear what the solution was.

I was simultaneously having problems with my email clients (Thunderbird and
OE6) having timeout problems with all of my servers. This finally worked
out to be an unresolvable issue with a recent upgrade to ZoneAlarmPro
version 6. I wound up deleting the entire ZoneAlarm package from my machine
(not an easy task) and reinstalling version 4.5, then upgrading to v5.5. Lo
and behold, not only did the email problems disappear, but I could suddenly
see the external drive again!

Go figure. I don't have any explanation, but it worked for me, and it might
work for you. The ZoneAlarm forums are rife with irate posts from
disgruntled users of version 6, and I believe the issues may reside in their
"True Vector Service" app (vsmon.exe). It's not an easy service to delete
or stop, but it works well if you roll it back to pre-6.0 strength.

regards
~RL

philo 09-03-2005 08:27 AM

Re: Problems with external USB drive - resolved!

<snip>

> Go figure. I don't have any explanation, but it worked for me, and it might
> work for you. The ZoneAlarm forums are rife with irate posts from
> disgruntled users of version 6, and I believe the issues may reside in their
> "True Vector Service" app (vsmon.exe). It's not an easy service to delete
> or stop, but it works well if you roll it back to pre-6.0 strength.

thanks for posting back.
on one of mt XP machines i also had *severe* problems after updating zone
alarm...
i had to "roll back" to a previous version