Velocity Reviews

-   -   AVG and hotmail account (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t229144-avg-and-hotmail-account.html)

LAH 08-30-2005 07:59 PM

AVG and hotmail account

I've have had a hotmail account for many years that is set up so I can check
it through OE 6. It's my understanding that sometime ago MSN decided to
drop this service. However, they notified my that since my account is one
of long standing I could continue to access it through OE as I always have.

Recently I dropped Norton antivirus and started using AVG Free Edition. I'm
having problems setting it up so it will automatically scan the emails from
my hotmail account when OE is downloading them. I've tried visiting the
forum at AVG but have had no luck in finding the answer to my problem. They
have a great post about web mail scanning using a third party application
but I guess that is not exactly what I have. Can someone help me set this
up or can it be set up?

I have:
Windows 98SE
OE 6
The mail server for my hotmail account is:
http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp

Thanks for any help you can send my way!

Plato 08-30-2005 08:01 PM

Re: AVG and hotmail account

LAH wrote:

> Recently I dropped Norton antivirus and started using AVG Free Edition. I'm
> having problems setting it up so it will automatically scan the emails from
> my hotmail account when OE is downloading them. I've tried visiting the

Which is good. One should NEVER enable email scanning, either in or out.
You will only lose messages and data if you do so, even if there are
never any viruses in such.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

LAH 08-30-2005 09:21 PM

Re: AVG and hotmail account

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> LAH wrote:
> >
> > Recently I dropped Norton antivirus and started using AVG Free Edition.

I'm
> > having problems setting it up so it will automatically scan the emails

from
> > my hotmail account when OE is downloading them. I've tried visiting the

> Which is good. One should NEVER enable email scanning, either in or out.
> You will only lose messages and data if you do so, even if there are
> never any viruses in such.
>
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

Please tell me how you manage your emails? Do you scan them after
downloading but before opening, open them and hope the anti virus program
catches the bad bugs before they do any damage or what? I'm open to any
reasonable suggestions. Thanks

trout 08-30-2005 10:03 PM

Re: AVG and hotmail account

LAH wrote:

> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
>> LAH wrote:
>>>
>>> Recently I dropped Norton antivirus and started using AVG Free
>>> Edition. I'm having problems setting it up so it will automatically
>>> scan the emails from my hotmail account when OE is downloading
>>> them. I've tried visiting the

>> Which is good. One should NEVER enable email scanning, either in or
>> out. You will only lose messages and data if you do so, even if
>> there are never any viruses in such.
>>
>> http://www.bootdisk.com/

> Please tell me how you manage your emails? Do you scan them after
> downloading but before opening, open them and hope the anti virus
> program catches the bad bugs before they do any damage or what? I'm
> open to any reasonable suggestions. Thanks

There are several easy precautions you can take with OE. First and
foremost, would be to read all messages in Plain Text (Tools; Options;
Read tab.) That will stop nasties from being automatically executed when
opening the mail. If there is something you *want* to see, you can use
an 'on-demand' scan, and then change the view if it's safe.
You should also read mail from a suspicious source (what I'd
consider anything from Hotmail) with the Preview Pane turned off (View;
Layout), so that you can review, and delete headers, without opening the
mail. You can add a button to your toolbar to toggle this on and off,
for convenience.
Finally, *never* open spam.
--
Never, ever, for any reason.

Plato 08-31-2005 11:25 AM

Re: AVG and hotmail account

LAH wrote:

> > Which is good. One should NEVER enable email scanning, either in or out.
> > You will only lose messages and data if you do so, even if there are
> > never any viruses in such.

> Please tell me how you manage your emails? Do you scan them after
> downloading but before opening, open them and hope the anti virus program
> catches the bad bugs before they do any damage or what? I'm open to any
> reasonable suggestions. Thanks

The first step is to delete any mail from unknown senders that have
attachments and not even bother to open it or save it. If however, I am
expecting an attachment, then I save it to a folder and scan it then.
Personally I dont have a virus scanner working 24/7.

However, if you do have your anti-virus working 24/7 without the special
emaill function, and go and try to open the attachemnt, then at THAT
time it will scan the file.

Plato 08-31-2005 11:25 AM

Re: AVG and hotmail account

Also read trouts suggestion to set your email for plain text only. Very
important.

additional article
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/234.htm#5