Velocity Reviews

-   -   Unable to delete file (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t229130-unable-to-delete-file.html)

Tappy Lappy 08-30-2005 08:48 AM

Unable to delete file

I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
TIA

WormWood 08-30-2005 09:08 AM

Re: Unable to delete file

"Tappy Lappy" <Tappy wrote:
>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
> I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
> TIA

Where is this file and how did you know about it and that it should be
deleted? Any other relevant information?

old jon 08-30-2005 10:30 AM

Re: Unable to delete file

"Tappy Lappy" <Tappy Lappy@nufc.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
> I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
> TIA

Right click on the icon, to see what program it points to. It appears to be
a program that finds Prime numbers ?.
best wishes..OJ

Harrison 08-30-2005 10:35 AM

Re: Unable to delete file

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
Lappy@nufc.com> wrote:

>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
>I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
>TIA

Reboot to safe mode into the Administrator's account and delete from there.

Tappy Lappy 08-30-2005 11:45 AM

Re: Unable to delete file

"WormWood" <eapoe@midnightdreary.Boo> wrote in message

> "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy wrote:
>>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
>>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
>>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
>> I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
>> TIA
>>

> Where is this file and how did you know about it and that it should be
> deleted? Any other relevant information?

I have it on my back up drive and was just doing a bit of tidying up. I used
the remove
programmes option via control panel, but there is still an icon for
"prime.exe" in the folder showing as
an application with a size of 1041 kb.

If you right click on the icon, within properties it shows a size of "0" and
disk space "0".

Left clicking gets the error message "windows cannot find the file
.......\prime.exe. Make sure you typed the correct name and try again".

Tappy Lappy 08-30-2005 11:47 AM

Re: Unable to delete file

<Harrison> wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
> Lappy@nufc.com> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
>>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
>>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
>>I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
>>TIA

> Reboot to safe mode into the Administrator's account and delete from
> there.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I have just tried and it comes up with the same
error message.

TNKEV 08-30-2005 12:15 PM

Re: Unable to delete file

As long as we are on the subject.

I have 2 files on my pc I can't delete I get a message that says "file
name is too long cannot delete file,I have tried "rename"but as soon
as I hit OK it says the same thing "file name too long cannot delete"
any ideas?

Brian 08-30-2005 12:21 PM

Re: Unable to delete file

"Tappy Lappy" <Tappy Lappy@nufc.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> <Harrison> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
> > Lappy@nufc.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
> >>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
> >>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
> >>I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
> >>TIA

> > Reboot to safe mode into the Administrator's account and delete from
> > there.

> Hi, thanks for the advice. I have just tried and it comes up with the same
> error message.

try:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm

Tappy Lappy 08-30-2005 02:03 PM

Re: Unable to delete file

"Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote in message news:43144ed9$1_1@x-privat.org...

> "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy Lappy@nufc.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> <Harrison> wrote in message

>> > Reboot to safe mode into the Administrator's account and delete from
>> > there.

>> Hi, thanks for the advice. I have just tried and it comes up with the
>> same
>> error message.
>>

> try:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm

Thanks Brian, tried that but even in DOS if you do a DIR on the folder the
file
is held in it listed it as follows:

06/06/2005 17:50 <dir> .
06/06/2005 17:50 <dir> ..
04/06/2005 21:46 1,065,696 prime.exe
1 file<s> 1,065,696 bytes
2 dir<s> 20,199,997,440 bytes free

When you try the del, or erase command on prime.exe, you get "Cannot find
the file specified".
Del on the folder it is in, gets the prompt do you want to delete y or n.
Even when you choose "y" the
folder fails to delete.

old jon 08-30-2005 02:23 PM

Re: Unable to delete file

"Tappy Lappy" <Tappy Lappy@nufc.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
> I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
> TIA

Had a file like this once. Admittedly it was on a CD-RW (it`s still media).
Checked to see if the file was read-only (no). So I copied All the data off
it, to a hard drive, and tried to reformat it. sadly the disk was Scrap.
I`d suggest, if you can, copy the stuff off the drive. then run the hard
drive manufacturers disc tools on it. It might be on it`s way out.
That would be all your stuff gone.
best wishes..OJ