Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lookinf for Freeware Radio recorder to mp3 file. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t228998-lookinf-for-freeware-radio-recorder-to-mp3-file.html)

lbbss 08-27-2005 11:52 PM

Lookinf for Freeware Radio recorder to mp3 file.

I would like to record radio shows and music to my pc. Any freeware
software to do that. Also, let me know if they are any good. I
heard that realplayer can do that, but I don't relly like realplayer,
because it loads on startup automatically. the only way to take it off
the startup list is to uninstall it. thanks.

lbbss 08-27-2005 11:55 PM

Re: Lookinf for Freeware Radio recorder to mp3 file.

Just to clarify, I want to record radio show from the web, not from my
radio.

Toolman Tim 08-27-2005 11:57 PM

lbbss wrote:
> I would like to record radio shows and music to my pc. Any freeware
> software to do that. Also, let me know if they are any good. I
> heard that realplayer can do that, but I don't relly like realplayer,
> because it loads on startup automatically. the only way to take it
> off the startup list is to uninstall it. thanks.

You can stop it from loading startup without uninstalling it. Who told you
that? I have lot's of things on my PC that wanted to autoload (Quicktime,
Musicmatch, MS Office, etc.) but none of them do.

--
Indecision is the key to flexibility.

lbbss 08-28-2005 12:07 AM

Re: Lookinf for Freeware Radio recorder to mp3 file.

it was a while ago, but I remember using startman software that allowed
me to have a custom startup list, . But when I took realplayer off the
list, next time it was back on startup by itself. I have not tried
that lately.

Toolman Tim 08-28-2005 12:23 AM

lbbss wrote:
> it was a while ago, but I remember using startman software that
> allowed me to have a custom startup list, . But when I took
> realplayer off the list, next time it was back on startup by itself.
> I have not tried that lately.

Why not just remove it from the registry? Should work. Unless they wrote
code into the new version that puts it back in, which nothing else I've used
has done that.

--
Indecision is the key to flexibility.

trout 08-28-2005 12:39 AM

lbbss wrote:

> I would like to record radio shows and music to my pc. Any freeware
> software to do that. Also, let me know if they are any good. I
> heard that realplayer can do that, but I don't relly like realplayer,
> because it loads on startup automatically. the only way to take it
> off the startup list is to uninstall it. thanks.

I've found that Staionripper works well:
http://www.stationripper.com/index.htm

The only small problem I encountered was that the connection to
recording software is sometimes blocked by the station. The program
anticipates this, and allows you to easily change the 'apparent
client' -to something like Winamp, for example. You will need some kind
of player installed if you want to listen live to what you're recording.
I *do* use (an old version of) Winamp for this.
--
Freeware.

Render Me 08-28-2005 01:24 AM

"trout" <trout_24hrs@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:431107da$0$37980$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfr eenews.net...
> lbbss wrote:
>
>> I would like to record radio shows and music to my pc. Any freeware
>> software to do that. Also, let me know if they are any good. I
>> heard that realplayer can do that, but I don't relly like realplayer,
>> because it loads on startup automatically. the only way to take it
>> off the startup list is to uninstall it. thanks.

> I've found that Staionripper works well:
> http://www.stationripper.com/index.htm
>
> The only small problem I encountered was

...knowing how to spell..............

trout 08-28-2005 02:00 AM

trout wrote:

> I've found that Staionripper works well:
> http://www.stationripper.com/index.htm

Here's the missing "t" for the typo-laming trolls.
--
And other poster-children for the Tragically Pointless.

Render Me 08-28-2005 02:42 AM

Re: Lookinf for Freeware Radio recorder to mp3 file.

STRIKE!!!!

news:43111ab1$0$25279$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfr eenews.net...

whatevernevermind 08-28-2005 07:47 AM

Re: Lookinf for Freeware Radio recorder to mp3 file.

"lbbss" <labicff@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1125186768.728164.49990
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> I would like to record radio shows and music to my pc. Any freeware
> software to do that. Also, let me know if they are any good. I
> heard that realplayer can do that, but I don't relly like realplayer,
> because it loads on startup automatically. the only way to take it off
> the startup list is to uninstall it. thanks.

Steer clear of the bloatware.
Get the "free" and excellent Audacity.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Get the zip version. There is no installer. Just put it somewhere, create a shortcut, and run it.
Put the LameENC.dll in the same folder. The first time you make mp3 it will ask what encoder. Just
point it to that. To record "what you hear", mute your microphone or you will just get your voice.

Cheers!
Open source all the way @ http://sourceforge.net/