Velocity Reviews

-   -   System Restore doesn't monitor my c drive?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t228455-system-restore-doesnt-monitor-my-c-drive.html)

DrDan 08-17-2005 03:27 AM

System Restore doesn't monitor my c drive??

I ran across this problem a long time ago and was unable to
resolve it at that time. I just figured I'd post another try
to find the answer.

When I open the system properties window and click on the
system restore tab it shows under Status the comment "Second
Disk [D:] Monitoring". There is no mention of my C drive.

As I said it's been about a year or more since I found this
problem, but I am pretty sure I can't create a restore point
for my c drive. That probably how I found the problem.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for trying.

Ms Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 service pack 2
P4 2.2 gig northwood
512 mb rambus
c drive maxtor 250 gig diamond max (I think) with 16 mg cache
d drive maxtor 120gig something max with 8 meg cache
-Niether one of these are original to the system. Original
drive was cloned over to the 120 gig first and then the 120
was cloned over to the 250 when I got that one. The original
drive is in the desk drawer waiting reassingment. I used
power quest drive image 2002 to clone the drives. The
operations went reletively painlessly.

The rest of the stuff probably doesn't affect the problem, but
what the heck
ATI 9600 video card
Dual 19 inch monitors
Sony DVD RW DRU-710A
Lite On DVD rom
Santa Cruz Turtle Beach sound card
And I have my old 275 mhz p1 sitting right next to this one,
but I haven't turned it on in quite a while.

Unk 08-17-2005 04:37 AM

Re: System Restore doesn't monitor my c drive??

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:27:44 -0500, DrDan <DrDan@nospam.com> wrote:

>I ran across this problem a long time ago and was unable to
>resolve it at that time. I just figured I'd post another try
>to find the answer.
>
>When I open the system properties window and click on the
>system restore tab it shows under Status the comment "Second
>Disk [D:] Monitoring". There is no mention of my C drive.
>
>As I said it's been about a year or more since I found this
>problem, but I am pretty sure I can't create a restore point
>for my c drive. That probably how I found the problem.
>
>Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for trying.
>
>Ms Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 service pack 2
>P4 2.2 gig northwood
>512 mb rambus
>c drive maxtor 250 gig diamond max (I think) with 16 mg cache
>d drive maxtor 120gig something max with 8 meg cache
>-Niether one of these are original to the system. Original
>drive was cloned over to the 120 gig first and then the 120
>was cloned over to the 250 when I got that one. The original
>drive is in the desk drawer waiting reassingment. I used
>power quest drive image 2002 to clone the drives. The
>operations went reletively painlessly.
>
>The rest of the stuff probably doesn't affect the problem, but
>what the heck
>ATI 9600 video card
>Dual 19 inch monitors
>Sony DVD RW DRU-710A
>Lite On DVD rom
>Santa Cruz Turtle Beach sound card
>And I have my old 275 mhz p1 sitting right next to this one,
>but I haven't turned it on in quite a while.

You can reinstall System Restore with these two steps:

First Step - Delete the System Restore Folder as it may be damaged:
Disable system restore, delete the System Restore folder "System Volume Information",
reboot, then re-enable System Restore. The folder will be re-created automatically.
It's located in the root directory of Drive C:\ . It may be hidden...
Open any folder, click "Tools", "Folder Options", and the "View" tab.
Check the box, "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types",
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files", Click "Apply", "OK"

To disable System Restore, Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore,
System Restore Settings, "System Restore" tab, and check the box. "Turn Off System Restore on
all drives", click "Apply" and "OK".

Now go to Drive C:\System Volume Information\ and delete it.

Second Step - Reinstall System Restore:
1. Click Start, Run, In the Run box, type "C:\windows\inf" without the quotes and press enter.
2. Look for SR.INF and RightClick on it, then select "Install"

Follow the prompts, Reboot, and System Restore will be ready to use.
NOTE: If it asks for the Windows CD, point it to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

System Restore Resources:

Blank System Restore Calendar
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_...tore_blank.htm

How to FIX the rstrui.exe entry point not found error...
http://www.updatexp.com/rstrui-exe-e...not-found.html

System Restore Information, Issues and Tweaks
Select S and scroll to System Restore (Near the bottom of the page)

How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302796

Troubleshoot System Restore Restore Point Failures” in Windows XP
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

How to Restore a Windows XP system to a previous State using System Restore
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

How to Disable System Restore in Windows ME or Windows XP
http://www.pchell.com/virus/systemrestore.shtml

System Restore Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com.../faqsrwxp.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...store_faq.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...store_faq.mspx

DrDan 08-17-2005 10:43 PM

Re: System Restore doesn't monitor my c drive??

Unk <not@aol.com> wrote in

> [...]

> Blank System Restore Calendar
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_...tore_blank.htm
>
> How to FIX the rstrui.exe entry point not found error...
> http://www.updatexp.com/rstrui-exe-e...-not-found.htm
>
> System Restore Information, Issues and Tweaks
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> Select S and scroll to System Restore (Near the bottom
> of the page)
>
> How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302796
>
> Troubleshoot System Restore Restore Point Failures” in
> Windows XP http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
> How to Restore a Windows XP system to a previous State
> using System Restore http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
>
> How to Disable System Restore in Windows ME or Windows XP
> http://www.pchell.com/virus/systemrestore.shtml
>
> System Restore Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Windows

Looks deceptivly simple. I'll give it a go tommorow when I
have more time for the inevitable problem or two.
Thanks, I appreciate the time and effort.

janet.johns 08-18-2005 11:39 AM

DrDan 08-18-2005 08:02 PM

Re: System Restore doesn't monitor my c drive??

I knew it wasn't going to be that easy. I turned off sys
restore and attempted to delete the system volume information
folder, as advised. Windows will not allow the delete. Error
message says that change.log is in use by another program, etc.
I reboot and try again- same thing. I check sys restore and
it's back on after the reboot. I have admin rights so I don't
know why it wasn't off. I turn it off again, go right back to
that window and it looks like it's still on.
I thought about rebooting to dos to delete the folder, and then
to continue with the reinstall of sys restore. I figured
I would ask first see what you guys say-
1. How do I check to make sure I have admin rights in windows.
2. Should I go to dos to delete the folder? What dos commands
do I need? What is it, F8 to boot to dos?
3. How do I check to see if sys restore is off?

Thanks again for your help.

Unk 08-19-2005 05:15 AM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:02:53 -0500, DrDan <DrDan@nospam.com> wrote:

>I knew it wasn't going to be that easy. I turned off sys
>restore and attempted to delete the system volume information
>folder, as advised. Windows will not allow the delete. Error
>message says that change.log is in use by another program, etc.
>I reboot and try again- same thing. I check sys restore and
>it's back on after the reboot. I have admin rights so I don't
>know why it wasn't off. I turn it off again, go right back to
>that window and it looks like it's still on.
>I thought about rebooting to dos to delete the folder, and then
>to continue with the reinstall of sys restore. I figured
>I would ask first see what you guys say-
>1. How do I check to make sure I have admin rights in windows.
>2. Should I go to dos to delete the folder? What dos commands
>do I need? What is it, F8 to boot to dos?
>3. How do I check to see if sys restore is off?
>
>Thanks again for your help.

It should have been that easy. Once you turned off System Restore, you should have been able to
delete the folder. The fact that you couldn't, means something other than System Restore is
also using that folder. Try starting up in the Safe Mode and repeat the instructions from
there. Also check for a virus... This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus
named Stinger. It will scan your system for 54 known viruses and trojans and repair them.
You don't need McAfee anti-virus installed on your computer... this is a stand alone program.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ or http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger
Direct Download: http://download.nai.com/products/mca...rt/stinger.exe

Microsoft provides free anti-virus software that can be used for 1 year.
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

spiderrman 08-20-2005 04:44 AM

Re: System Restore doesn't monitor my c drive??

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:27:44 -0500, DrDan <DrDan@nospam.com> wrote:

>I ran across this problem a long time ago and was unable to
>resolve it at that time. I just figured I'd post another try
>to find the answer.
>
>When I open the system properties window and click on the
>system restore tab it shows under Status the comment "Second
>Disk [D:] Monitoring". There is no mention of my C drive.

Snip

Have you tried logging in as Administrator? I've noticed even though I
have admin rights, somethings just don't work as advertised.

Unk 08-20-2005 04:58 AM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:42:10 -0500, DrDan <DrDan@nospam.com> wrote:

>There is one thing I forgot to mention. I am running a promise
>controller card and both hard drives are connected to it. It's
>listed in device manager under scsi and raid controllers as
>"windows xp maxtor ultra ata 133 ide controller". Each drive is
>on it's own ide channel. My 2 optical drives are on the primary
>and secondary motherboard ide channels. In my opening post as I
>was describing the system, I knew there was something else I
>should have put down. But couldn't think of what it was.
>
>I tried the safe mode, no good. Same error message, in use by
>some other program. Then I tried to reinstall sys restore as
>per your directions, but I didn't do it. It started and ran
>like you said, up to the inf file then I aborted. I figured I'd
>wait a bit and do some more checking.
>
>I had just installed ca's ez antivirus program a few days ago
>and the system was clean, not to mention all the times I have
>run nortons av in the past and had a clean system. In all my
>years on the computor I have only had one infection, a trojan
>that stole my aol log on. That was a few years back. Anyway,
>stinger is checking my system right now, but I am sure it will
>come up clean.
>
>My thoughts are now along these lines- I can just reinstall as
>per your instructions. I don't know what would happen, thats
>why I stopped doing it. I could try to rename the sys vol info
>folder. In fact I tried this but windows wouold not let me. In
>use by some program you know. Maybe in dos? What are the
>commands to rename? I was never that fluent in dos. I would
>prefer to rename so I could keep the folder just in case.
>Or, is there some way to check what program may be using
>change.log?
>
>The other thing I have to check on is whether windows is
>actually turning off sys restore. After I check the check box
>and click yes, I really want to turn off sys restore, and then
>go right back to the sys restore settings window, it looks like
>it's still on. In the status window it says monitoring drive D
>just like before. I even tried rebooting and it still looks
>like its on. Maybe I can't turn sys restore off? Yes, I have
>admin rights.
>
>Hey Unk, you have been great. Thanks for helping me with this.
>I hope forgetting to tell you about the controller card did't
>screw it up too bad.

System Restore will not reinstall while it's files are in use. Besides, even if it did, it
would still leave a possibly corrupt folder intact.
What you could do is shutdown and unplug the power from all the hard drives except the C: drive.
When you reboot in the safe mode again, you should be able to disable system restore and delete
the folder.

windstrings 05-05-2008 07:54 PM

It worked for me too... however I did have to browse to the location mentioned, then it also asked me for the file "srframe.mmf" and I had to browse to C:\windows\system32\restore