Velocity Reviews

-   -   Memorex Travel USB drive 256MB (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t228449-memorex-travel-usb-drive-256mb.html)

geothermal 08-16-2005 10:32 PM

Memorex Travel USB drive 256MB

My mom bought a USB necklace drive 256MB and we can't
get it to work. It keeps giving us a write protection error on my two
XP boxes and her XP box as well.

I don't see anywhere that it is write protected/ *shrug*
I right click on the G: USB drive icon and choose properties
and all looks good. XP recognizes the drive when I plug it in.

I have tried both hot swapping mode and safety modes of the USB drive.

One of my XP boxes has a slower USB port and the other one
has a high speed USB port.

I searched the Memorex FAQ company site, but nothing much there about
write protection.

I've tried drag and drop and I've tried Send To.

Any ideas on what to try next ?

geothermal

FML 08-16-2005 11:21 PM

Re: Memorex Travel USB drive 256MB

geothermal wrote:
> My mom bought a USB necklace drive 256MB and we can't
> get it to work. It keeps giving us a write protection error on my two
> XP boxes and her XP box as well.
>
> I don't see anywhere that it is write protected/ *shrug*
> I right click on the G: USB drive icon and choose properties
> and all looks good. XP recognizes the drive when I plug it in.
>
> I have tried both hot swapping mode and safety modes of the USB drive.
>
> One of my XP boxes has a slower USB port and the other one
> has a high speed USB port.
>
> I searched the Memorex FAQ company site, but nothing much there about
> write protection.
>
> I've tried drag and drop and I've tried Send To.
>
> Any ideas on what to try next ?
>
> geothermal

Have you tried flipping the "write-protect" switch on the drive.
When all fails, RTFM.

dworkin 08-16-2005 11:26 PM

geothermal wrote:

> My mom bought a USB necklace drive 256MB and we can't
> get it to work. It keeps giving us a write protection error on my two
> XP boxes and her XP box as well.
>
> I don't see anywhere that it is write protected/ *shrug*
> I right click on the G: USB drive icon and choose properties
> and all looks good. XP recognizes the drive when I plug it in.
>
> I have tried both hot swapping mode and safety modes of the USB drive.
>
> One of my XP boxes has a slower USB port and the other one
> has a high speed USB port.
>
> I searched the Memorex FAQ company site, but nothing much there about
> write protection.
>
> I've tried drag and drop and I've tried Send To.
>
> Any ideas on what to try next ?
>
> geothermal

There is a tiny slider that switches it from Read/Write to Read Only.
Look at your drive carefully.

http://www.memorexthumbdrive.com/pro...x_32507725.htm

Dworkin
--
"That'll be 10 quid."

sbb78247 08-17-2005 02:58 AM

or it is good old fashioned ****ed

geothermal 08-17-2005 09:32 AM

FML wrote:

> geothermal wrote:
>
>> My mom bought a USB necklace drive 256MB and we can't
>> get it to work. It keeps giving us a write protection error on my two
>> XP boxes and her XP box as well.
>>
>> I don't see anywhere that it is write protected/ *shrug*
>> I right click on the G: USB drive icon and choose properties
>> and all looks good. XP recognizes the drive when I plug it in.
>>
>> I have tried both hot swapping mode and safety modes of the USB drive.
>>
>> One of my XP boxes has a slower USB port and the other one
>> has a high speed USB port.
>>
>> I searched the Memorex FAQ company site, but nothing much there about
>> write protection.
>>
>> I've tried drag and drop and I've tried Send To.
>>
>> Any ideas on what to try next ?
>>
>> geothermal

> Have you tried flipping the "write-protect" switch on the drive.
> When all fails, RTFM.

Thanks FML !

I searched the manual pdf file for helpful words, but reading it cover
to cover should have hit my brain at some point. LOL I have helped
so many people with easy solutions on 24hour and other message boards
that it is good to have it happen in reverse. (^:

take care,

geothermal

FML 08-17-2005 05:06 PM

geothermal wrote:
> FML wrote:
>
>> geothermal wrote:
>>
>>> My mom bought a USB necklace drive 256MB and we can't
>>> get it to work. It keeps giving us a write protection error on my
>>> two XP boxes and her XP box as well.
>>>
>>> I don't see anywhere that it is write protected/ *shrug*
>>> I right click on the G: USB drive icon and choose properties
>>> and all looks good. XP recognizes the drive when I plug it in.
>>>
>>> I have tried both hot swapping mode and safety modes of the USB drive.
>>>
>>> One of my XP boxes has a slower USB port and the other one
>>> has a high speed USB port.
>>>
>>> I searched the Memorex FAQ company site, but nothing much there about
>>> write protection.
>>>
>>> I've tried drag and drop and I've tried Send To.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on what to try next ?
>>>
>>> geothermal

>> Have you tried flipping the "write-protect" switch on the drive.
>> When all fails, RTFM.

> Thanks FML !
>
> I searched the manual pdf file for helpful words, but reading it cover
> to cover should have hit my brain at some point. LOL I have helped so
> many people with easy solutions on 24hour and other message boards
> that it is good to have it happen in reverse. (^:
>
> take care,
>
> geothermal

I know what you mean. I remember back when 3.5" floppies first came out,
I actually replaced the floppy drive on a machine for pretty much the
same reason (somebody had gone thru a box of floppies and flipped the
tab to "write-protect" on all the disks). After I couldn't write to 3 or
4 of them, I determined that it was a bad drive. It wasn't until the new
one did the same thing that it dawned on me about the tabs being
flipped. LOL, you live you learn.