Velocity Reviews

-   -   Computer freezes during shutdown (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t228033-computer-freezes-during-shutdown.html)

Filomena 08-08-2005 04:00 PM

Computer freezes during shutdown

I┤m running Windows Xp and my computer freezes during shutdown. It doesn┤t
happen every time it shuts down. Only occassionally. And then I have to shut
it down manually.
Thanks in advance,

Filo

why? 08-08-2005 05:06 PM

Re: Computer freezes during shutdown

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 18:00:26 +0200, Filomena wrote:

>I┤m running Windows Xp and my computer freezes during shutdown. It doesn┤t
>happen every time it shuts down. Only occassionally. And then I have to shut
>it down manually.
>Thanks in advance,

A fairly popular question, if you search for past posts in this group
24hoursupport.helpdesk using
search for - xp shutdown

Me

vbmark 08-08-2005 05:10 PM

Re: Computer freezes during shutdown

"Filomena" <Filomena@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:42f781c5$0$12539$ba620dc5@text.nova.planet.nl :

> I┤m running Windows Xp and my computer freezes during shutdown. It
> doesn┤t happen every time it shuts down. Only occassionally. And then
> I have to shut it down manually.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Filo

There is probably some program that is not "letting go" on shutdown.
Before you shut down make a note of what programs are running. If you
find that the computer hangs when a certain app is running then you can
go to the next step of figure out what that program is misbehaving.

--
---------------------------
http://www.vbmark.com

Miles Ahead 08-08-2005 07:20 PM

Re: Computer freezes during shutdown

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 18:00:26 +0200, "Filomena" <Filomena@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I┤m running Windows Xp and my computer freezes during shutdown. It doesn┤t
>happen every time it shuts down. Only occassionally. And then I have to shut
>it down manually.

You should check for shutdown issues as other posters suggested.
But I'd also recommend getting this freeware while it's still
available for download(development has ceased on it but I'm using
it on XP Home SP1 and SP2 systems without problems.)

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-14972.html

It's TuneXP 1.5 and it's great for system optimization. I had the
ocassional download hang as you describe but after tuning with
this app my bootups and shutdowns were quicker and smoother
and I don't recall getting anymore shutdown hangs(not without a
"xxx is not responding" message anyway.)

This freeware was recommended on The Screen Savers show
which is how I heard about it. The only proviso is in the Hardware
Menu if you check "Enable UDMA-66" you'll get an error dialog
simply because TuneXP was written before there was faster
than 66 MHZ UDMA. It doesn't hurt anything, just produces an
error dialog.

Anyway, here's what helped me with smooth boots and shutdowns.
Under the "Memory and file system" Menu, click on "Faster Shutdown".
Also I'd recommend you set "Defrag Boot Files" and "Ultra-Fast
Booting" once. This will create a long defrag session so if you are
low on HD free space you might pass on those because defrag
will take forever. But if you have 50% free space or greater you
should do it. You only need to do it once as regular defrag after
that will tend to keep those files where they are.

I'm also using "Optimize prefetch" in the same Menu. But, the
one that will make your XP system fly if running NTFS is "Increase
NTFS performance". This shuts off the "last accessed" file time
stamp. Just enabling this optimization you should be able to actually
see your system run faster and smoother! Unless you are running
some file tracking app that has to have a file access time stamp from
the system there's no real useful purpose to all those file time stamp
API calls. Just slows things down!

I've never had a problem using TuneXP but with any system tweaker
it's a good idea to save your Registry before using just to be safe.
So either create a System Restore Point, or use a util like ERUNT
to save your Registry, or both.

You can get ERUNT freeware here:

Good luck. :)

Unk 08-08-2005 08:26 PM

Re: Computer freezes during shutdown

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 18:00:26 +0200, "Filomena" <Filomena@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I┬┤m running Windows Xp and my computer freezes during shutdown. It doesn┬┤t
>happen every time it shuts down. Only occassionally. And then I have to shut
>it down manually.
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Filo

Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm

"Windows Shutdown & Restart Center Troubleshooting in 15 Steps"
http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

"It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" Error Message When You Try
to Shut Down Your WinXP, Win2000 Computer.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903

Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311806

Windows XP restarts unexpectedly or restarts when you shut down the computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320299

Windows XP logon screen does not appear and the computer continuously restarts
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310396

You cannot log off, restart, or shut down your Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831431

Windows stops responding during Windows XP shut down
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307274

You May Not Be Able to Shut Down Your Windows XP Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320008