Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is there a way to disable printing on one account? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t227978-is-there-a-way-to-disable-printing-on-one-account.html)

M.L. 08-07-2005 01:07 AM

Is there a way to disable printing on one account?

Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
account? Thanks in advance.

Toolman Tim 08-07-2005 01:11 AM

Re: Is there a way to disable printing on one account?

"M.L." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
> one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
> account? Thanks in advance.

Sure. Who's in charge there? Tell the kids to stop printing.

Mike Easter 08-07-2005 02:39 AM

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "M.L."

>> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
>> one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
>> account? Thanks in advance.
>>

> Sure. Who's in charge there? Tell the kids to stop printing.

Aww. Kids think printing things is a lot of fun. Give them a printing
'budget'. It will be good to teach some restraint that might be useful
about money and a lot cheaper lesson.

Tell them they can only print x number of pages per y.

Or else you'll remove their printing privileges. Who controls the
paper?

If you don't control the paper, they'll hide their printouts.

Maybe you should disable the printing.

--
Mike Easter

M.L. 08-07-2005 04:37 AM

Re: Is there a way to disable printing on one account?

>>> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
>>> one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
>>> account? Thanks in advance.

>> Sure. Who's in charge there? Tell the kids to stop printing.

I can't be around them all the time. In fact, they never print
anything when I'm around. What do I do if they print even after being
told not to?

>Aww. Kids think printing things is a lot of fun. Give them a printing
>'budget'. It will be good to teach some restraint that might be useful
>about money and a lot cheaper lesson.
>
>Tell them they can only print x number of pages per y.

What do I do if they disobey such a command?

>Or else you'll remove their printing privileges. Who controls the
>paper?

It is impractical to keep the paper under lock and key. They know how
to replenish paper. Two of them have enough money to buy their own
paper.

>If you don't control the paper, they'll hide their printouts.

They don't bother hiding their printouts.

>Maybe you should disable the printing.

That's exactly why I posted here. I want the printer to be available
to other adult visitors when I'm not around. Is there a software
program that can password protect a printer?

Don 08-07-2005 06:25 AM

> >> Sure. Who's in charge there? Tell the kids to stop printing.

> I can't be around them all the time. In fact, they never print
> anything when I'm around. What do I do if they print even after being
> told not to?
>
> >Aww. Kids think printing things is a lot of fun. Give them a printing
> >'budget'. It will be good to teach some restraint that might be useful
> >about money and a lot cheaper lesson.
> >
> >Tell them they can only print x number of pages per y.

> What do I do if they disobey such a command?
>
> >Or else you'll remove their printing privileges. Who controls the
> >paper?

> It is impractical to keep the paper under lock and key. They know how
> to replenish paper. Two of them have enough money to buy their own
> paper.
>
> >If you don't control the paper, they'll hide their printouts.

> They don't bother hiding their printouts.
>
> >Maybe you should disable the printing.

> That's exactly why I posted here. I want the printer to be available
> to other adult visitors when I'm not around. Is there a software
> program that can password protect a printer?

I assume you are concerned about the high ink refill costs. Then remove the
inkjet cartridge or the expensive color one(s).

Binky 08-07-2005 09:30 AM

Re: Is there a way to disable printing on one account?

"M.L." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
> one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
> account? Thanks in advance.

This might do what you want. I haven't tried it myself and it sounds as
though it is directed at networks rather than user accounts. I don't know if
it's time limited either.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U..._Download.html

Dave Lear 08-07-2005 11:29 AM

Re: Is there a way to disable printing on one account?

"M.L." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for
> the adults and one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing
> on the kid's account? Thanks in advance.

Assuming your account is a member of Power Users or Administrators and your
kids accounts aren't...

Start

Printers and Faxes

Right-click on the printer

From the pop-up choose Properties

Security tab

Select Everyone and remove the tick for Print permission

OK

M.L. 08-07-2005 08:34 PM

Re: Is there a way to disable printing on one account?

>> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
>> one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
>> account? Thanks in advance.

>This might do what you want. I haven't tried it myself and it sounds as
>though it is directed at networks rather than user accounts. I don't know if
>it's time limited either.
>
>http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U..._Download.html

The app above is meant for networked printers (which does not apply to
me). It is also somewhat difficult to configure. Thanks for your
reply, and I'd also like to thank the others who replied.

M.L. 08-07-2005 08:37 PM

Re: Is there a way to disable printing on one account?

<snip>

>> That's exactly why I posted here. I want the printer to be available
>> to other adult visitors when I'm not around. Is there a software
>> program that can password protect a printer?
>>

>I assume you are concerned about the high ink refill costs. Then remove the
>inkjet cartridge or the expensive color one(s).

That's too much trouble considering that most of the users are not
hardware savvy. Such frequent removals might eventually damage the
cartridge anyway, Thanks for the advice.

Top (retired) 08-07-2005 09:10 PM

> <snip>
>
>>> That's exactly why I posted here. I want the printer to be
>>> available to other adult visitors when I'm not around. Is there
>>> a software program that can password protect a printer?
>>>

>>I assume you are concerned about the high ink refill costs. Then
>>remove the inkjet cartridge or the expensive color one(s).

> That's too much trouble considering that most of the users are not
> hardware savvy. Such frequent removals might eventually damage the
> cartridge anyway, Thanks for the advice.

Then almost anything else is going to be too much trouble anyway. It
seems to be too much trouble to do any research yourself so why would I
want to do it.

Top

--
Freedom is never free....