Velocity Reviews

-   -   Using two PCs each with a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t227768-using-two-pcs-each-with-a-microsoft-wireless-optical-desktop.html)

Keith Archer 08-02-2005 07:24 PM

Using two PCs each with a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop

I have just found a problem after having tried to set up a third PC with
another MS Wireless Optical Desktop.

Having connected up the new one (all three are the older 1.0A versions), I
got interference from the new keyboard to one of the other two PCs.

Now I find that both of the other PCs' keyboards are interfering with each
other. No matter what I've tried, re-connecting, pressing the
connect/channel button on each in various combinations, every time I get one
keyboard to work, the input also appears on the other.

I've removed the third one completely and disconnected the USB transciever
device, but the keyboard problem on both of these is still happening,
strangely though, the mice are fine!

Any tips or ideas? Is this a know problem? Why all of a sudden has it
started to happen after more than a year of working fine together?

Puzzled,

Keith

Remove NOSPAM- to reply direct if you want to.

Unk 08-02-2005 07:54 PM

Re: Using two PCs each with a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:24:28 GMT, "Keith Archer" <keith-a@NOSPAM-ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I have just found a problem after having tried to set up a third PC with
>another MS Wireless Optical Desktop.
>
>Having connected up the new one (all three are the older 1.0A versions), I
>got interference from the new keyboard to one of the other two PCs.
>
>Now I find that both of the other PCs' keyboards are interfering with each
>other. No matter what I've tried, re-connecting, pressing the
>connect/channel button on each in various combinations, every time I get one
>keyboard to work, the input also appears on the other.
>
>I've removed the third one completely and disconnected the USB transciever
>device, but the keyboard problem on both of these is still happening,
>strangely though, the mice are fine!
>
>Any tips or ideas? Is this a know problem? Why all of a sudden has it
>started to happen after more than a year of working fine together?
>
>Puzzled,
>
>Keith
>
>Remove NOSPAM- to reply direct if you want to.

PC #1
Make sure the batteries are fresh, then press the sync button on the receiver. While the
receiver is blinking, press the connect channel button in the bottom of the keyboard to sync it.
Repeat for the mouse. This PC was easy to do and is done.

PC #2
Repeat the above steps until the keyboard & mouse aren't activiting PC #1. This PC could take
several tries before you get the keyboard & mouse on their own channel.

PC #3
Repeat the above steps until the keyboard & mouse aren't activiting PC #1 or PC #2. This PC
could take quite a while before you get the keyboard & mouse on their own channel.

Keith Archer 08-02-2005 10:25 PM

Re: Using two PCs each with a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop

I just spen the last hour and a half doing what you suggested.

I can get one system working fine, mouse and keyboard OK, but the other
system's keyboard stops.

If I change channel, it works again, only to stop the first one. I change
channel, and now one keyboard operate both systems at the same time.

Reconnecting the first works OK, but the second stops working. I change
channel and now this keyboard controls both PCs.

If I reconnect the second, it works, the first stops. I tried reconnecting
again, the first still not working, over and over and over.

I tried the reverse too - using the second as the working system. Same
results.

I go back to the first and reconnect - it works, but the second one stops. I
change channel and I get one keyboard controlling both. I reconnect either
one, and the other keyboard stops again. I reconnect a further few times and
I go back to where one works OK, the other not. Reconnecting the other stops
the first again, and so on.

I'm getting combinations of both PCs taking input from one keyboard, and one
keyboard working, the other not (and often one working, and the other
producing odd results as a key is pressed).

I'm stuck.

I've had to fit one PC with a PS/2 keyboard and uninstall the HID device
from the device manager. This took two goes, as the first HID devicelisted
was the mouse and the second one the keyboard. If I reconnect, I'm sure the
HID device reappeared, and I'm back to square one, with both PC's taking
inputs again from one keyboard.

I use Logitech wireless devices at the office, and I'm just about to replace
these MS ones with the logitech after the frustrating evening. I just can't
understand what I've done to upset the status quo from a perfectly good
working system this morning, and wish I could jet get back to it.

Any other input gratefully received.