Velocity Reviews

-   -   Excel 2003 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t226829-excel-2003-a.html)

Malcolm 07-16-2005 12:38 AM

Excel 2003

Hi Folks,

I use MS Office 2003 at work and none of our support people can solve
this problem. Some people use Excel and floppy disks to store their
weekly reports. When a person opens a file on their floppy disk and
does their work and then saves it on the floppy all is fine. However
the next time someone opens Excel, before Excel can open the program
it tries to open the floppy disk for 15 or 20 second before the Excel
will load. Sometimes it will not load and hangs up. The same terminal
is used by many different people. I have set all the options I can
find, such as, zero most recent documents, no automatic backup save. I
have checked all the shortcuts to see if the "Start In" location is My
Documents. If you open and close Excel three or four times and let it
search the floppy the problem goes away until the next time
someone works with a floppy. I think the answer is a hack in the
registry somewhere but I don't know where.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Malcolm
Later,
Malcolm

Toolman Tim 07-16-2005 12:42 AM

Re: Excel 2003

"Malcolm" <malcolm34465@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> I use MS Office 2003 at work and none of our support people can solve
> this problem. Some people use Excel and floppy disks to store their
> weekly reports. When a person opens a file on their floppy disk and
> does their work and then saves it on the floppy all is fine. However
> the next time someone opens Excel, before Excel can open the program
> it tries to open the floppy disk for 15 or 20 second before the Excel
> will load. Sometimes it will not load and hangs up. The same terminal
> is used by many different people. I have set all the options I can
> find, such as, zero most recent documents, no automatic backup save. I
> have checked all the shortcuts to see if the "Start In" location is My
> Documents. If you open and close Excel three or four times and let it
> search the floppy the problem goes away until the next time
> someone works with a floppy. I think the answer is a hack in the
> registry somewhere but I don't know where.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Malcolm
> Later,
> Malcolm

Your people trust *FLOPPY DISKS* for data storage? I hope it's not important
stuff. That is the most unreliable media available. We don't even buy floppy
disks at work anymore.

Malcolm 07-16-2005 01:09 AM

Re: Excel 2003

>Your people trust *FLOPPY DISKS* for data storage? I hope it's not important
>stuff. That is the most unreliable media available. We don't even buy floppy
>disks at work anymore.

Yes they work fine. This is a training thing. It took forever to teach
them how to save a file and they are stubborn and don't wan't to
change. The data can always be retrieved from another source but it
causes extra work.

Can you provide any help???????

Later,
Malcolm

brainfamine@yahoo.com 07-16-2005 03:59 AM

Re: Excel 2003

Malcolm wrote:

> >Your people trust *FLOPPY DISKS* for data storage? I hope it's not important
> >stuff. That is the most unreliable media available. We don't even buy floppy
> >disks at work anymore.
> >

> Yes they work fine. This is a training thing. It took forever to teach
> them how to save a file and they are stubborn and don't wan't to
> change. The data can always be retrieved from another source but it
> causes extra work.
>
> Can you provide any help???????
>

> Later,
> Malcolm