Velocity Reviews

-   -   Q: Whats the best way to take pictures of paintings? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t226124-q-whats-the-best-way-to-take-pictures-of-paintings.html)

Scratch 06-30-2005 04:45 AM

Q: Whats the best way to take pictures of paintings?

Hi,

Im trying to setup a web site for my collection of oil paintings. I
tried digital cmera but not impressed by the result. A little shaky
and the quality is not good. Im thinking to take pictures using a
regular camera with a stand, and then scan them.

Is there any other way to take pictures of paintings like pro?

THX for ur time
Scratch

Gray Ghost 06-30-2005 05:07 AM

Re: Q: Whats the best way to take pictures of paintings?

Why not take pictures of them with a digital camera that's on a tripod?

Parko 06-30-2005 06:06 AM

Scratch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im trying to setup a web site for my collection of oil paintings. I
> tried digital cmera but not impressed by the result. A little shaky
> and the quality is not good. Im thinking to take pictures using a
> regular camera with a stand, and then scan them.
>
> Is there any other way to take pictures of paintings like pro?
>
> THX for ur time
> Scratch

Use a large format film camera ie: 120mm, not 35mm, a tripod, and indirect
lighting. Never use a flash, you'll get flare. Scan the prints. I *am* an
artist. No website though. Maybe one day.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Oxford Systems 06-30-2005 07:42 AM

Re: Whats the best way to take pictures of paintings?

"Scratch" <scratch@akc.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Im trying to setup a web site for my collection of oil paintings. I
> tried digital cmera

What kind of digicam? What resolution? What lighting?

> but not impressed by the result. A little shaky...

Shaky? Try a tripod.

> and the quality is not good.

Again, what kind of digicam? You'll get about the same sort of results from
a cheap digicam as you'll get from a cheap Kodak Instamatic camera.

> Im thinking to take pictures using a
> regular camera with a stand, and then scan them.

What kind of camera?

> Is there any other way to take pictures of paintings like pro?

Sure. Do what pros do. Pay attention to lighting, stability (tripod mount)
and quality of optics. And take lots and lots of pics at different
exposures, ISO speeds and apertures. Pick out the good ones and discard the
rest...or Photoshop 'em to get a usable result.

Oxford Systems 06-30-2005 07:43 AM

"Parko" <looselips@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Scratch wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Im trying to setup a web site for my collection of oil paintings. I
>> tried digital cmera but not impressed by the result. A little shaky
>> and the quality is not good. Im thinking to take pictures using a
>> regular camera with a stand, and then scan them.
>>
>> Is there any other way to take pictures of paintings like pro?
>>
>> THX for ur time
>> Scratch

> Use a large format film camera ie: 120mm, not 35mm

[snip]

Tell 'em what this is gonna cost.

EricP 06-30-2005 10:39 AM

Re: Q: Whats the best way to take pictures of paintings?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:45:03 +0900, Scratch <scratch@akc.com> babbled
like a waterfall and said:

>Hi,
>
>Im trying to setup a web site for my collection of oil paintings. I
>tried digital cmera but not impressed by the result. A little shaky
>and the quality is not good. Im thinking to take pictures using a
>regular camera with a stand, and then scan them.
>
>Is there any other way to take pictures of paintings like pro?
>
>THX for ur time
>Scratch

You will need a cheap tripod for the camera. The only other problem is
lighting the picture. Easiest way is sunlight filtered through a net
curtain, so you avoid reflections and light the picture evenly.

A professional would have an easel for the subject with filtered
lights mounted at 45 degrees to the surface of the subject on either
side of it.

HTH

joevan 06-30-2005 11:09 AM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:45:03 +0900, Scratch <scratch@akc.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Im trying to setup a web site for my collection of oil paintings. I
>tried digital cmera but not impressed by the result. A little shaky
>and the quality is not good. Im thinking to take pictures using a
>regular camera with a stand, and then scan them.
>
>Is there any other way to take pictures of paintings like pro?
>
>THX for ur time
>Scratch

Like pro or cheap kinda like pro. Make up your mind.
I have been taking pictures of paintings for 30 years.
Camera on tripod, painting on easel or slantboard.
500 watt 3200 kelvin bulbs (ECT) at either side of the painting so as
not to cause reflection or glare. That can be a problem if there are
raised areas of the paint. Then you need polar filters over each light
and one on you lens. You can always try google for how to photograph.
You might luck out and hit on some good tips.
The pros use strobes, 4x5 cameras with color transparencies.
If you want to get serious go to school, learn then 6 thousand or so
bucks might get you started.

and for the same reason."

Evan Platt 06-30-2005 04:00 PM

Re: Q: Whats the best way to take pictures of paintings?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:09:54 GMT, joevan <joevanudity@joevanudity.com>
wrote:

>Like pro or cheap kinda like pro. Make up your mind.

Where did the OP ever mention 'cheap' or 'kinda cheap' or any mention
of price for that matter?

joevan 06-30-2005 05:13 PM

Re: Q: Whats the best way to take pictures of paintings?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:00:10 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:09:54 GMT, joevan <joevanudity@joevanudity.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Like pro or cheap kinda like pro. Make up your mind.

>Where did the OP ever mention 'cheap' or 'kinda cheap' or any mention
>of price for that matter?

I didn't mean to suggest that he did. I was just trying to get to the
bottom of the matter. Sorry if it sounded harsh. I was leading I
guess.

and for the same reason."

Rick Merrill 06-30-2005 06:22 PM

joevan wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:45:03 +0900, Scratch <scratch@akc.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Im trying to setup a web site for my collection of oil paintings. I
>>tried digital cmera but not impressed by the result. A little shaky
>>and the quality is not good. Im thinking to take pictures using a
>>regular camera with a stand, and then scan them.
>>
>>Is there any other way to take pictures of paintings like pro?
>>
>>THX for ur time
>>Scratch

> Like pro or cheap kinda like pro. Make up your mind.
> I have been taking pictures of paintings for 30 years.
> Camera on tripod, painting on easel or slantboard.
> 500 watt 3200 kelvin bulbs (ECT) at either side of the painting so as
> not to cause reflection or glare. That can be a problem if there are
> raised areas of the paint. Then you need polar filters over each light
> and one on you lens. You can always try google for how to photograph.
> You might luck out and hit on some good tips.
> The pros use strobes, 4x5 cameras with color transparencies.
> If you want to get serious go to school, learn then 6 thousand or so
> bucks might get you started.

Can you recommend a source of Polarized filters?

(yeah, cheap would be goot :-) )