Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help .. Computer Hiccups? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t226118-help-computer-hiccups.html)

Charlie G 06-30-2005 02:19 AM

Help .. Computer Hiccups?

Have an annoying problem with my computer: Dell 1.8G, 512mg Ram, Win XP SP2 all updated.

Every 31 seconds everything freezes for 1 sec, on a 'clock' schedule. My screen saver Starfield will just stop moving, playing solitaire, the dealing of cards just stops, and etc. I used a stopwatch to time the movements in Starfield and came up with the iintervals.

I don't have any idea where to start looking for a solution, so ANY suggestions will be appreciated.

Much thanks in advance!

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 06-30-2005 03:06 AM

Re: Help .. Computer Hiccups?

On "Charlie G" <cgentry5@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

|>Have an annoying problem with my computer: Dell 1.8G, 512mg Ram, Win XP SP2 all updated.
|>
|>Every 31 seconds everything freezes for 1 sec, on a 'clock' schedule. My screen saver Starfield will just stop moving, playing solitaire, the dealing of cards just stops, and etc. I used a stopwatch to time the movements in Starfield and came up with the iintervals.
|>
|>I don't have any idea where to start looking for a solution, so ANY suggestions will be appreciated.

Download and run Process Explorer
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html

In the menu under View select system info, and let it run, when you
get this hiccup go to the CPU usage history and run your mouse over
the green line at the far right, this will tell you what program more
than likely caused it (more so if it's peg'd).

It's a start.

--
The most popular hack, which works on most models, is the "Instant Walk." Three short clicks, followed by two long, one short, two long, and three short; turn any crosswalk signal from "don't walk" to "walk" with a matching change in the traffic signals. http://tinyurl.com/d6ftl

Charlie G 07-01-2005 10:48 PM

Re: Help .. Computer Hiccups?

Thanks! You're on the button ... It turns out to be 'Spy Sweeper' with the little green line spikes to 100% on the 30 second interval. Disabled 'Spy Sweeper', NO MORE HICCUPS.