Velocity Reviews

-   -   Scheduled Tasks (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t226058-scheduled-tasks.html)

Ian Welch 06-29-2005 04:01 AM

Scheduled Tasks

I currently have Win XP. I would like to schedule a defrag and then the
shut the computer down all while I'm sleeping at night. In previous
versions of Windows you could do this. But for some reason I'm missing
something very simple and can't seem to make it work.

When I use the scheduled tasks wizard it doesn't offer defrag as an
optioned program. When I browse for it and schedule it that way, that
doesn't work either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Ian Welch

Duane Arnold 06-29-2005 12:01 PM

Re: Scheduled Tasks

Ian Welch wrote:

> I currently have Win XP. I would like to schedule a defrag and then the
> shut the computer down all while I'm sleeping at night. In previous
> versions of Windows you could do this. But for some reason I'm missing
> something very simple and can't seem to make it work.
>
> When I use the scheduled tasks wizard it doesn't offer defrag as an
> optioned program. When I browse for it and schedule it that way, that
> doesn't work either.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ian Welch

I tried to do it on one of may XP pro machine and was able to make a
Scheduled Task and point to the defrag.exe. I then I ran the task. All
defrag.exe did was flash a DOS box and that was it. Defrag when ran through
Administrative Tools wants a response from the user to either Analize or
Defrag and you may not be able to schedule it. You may have to look into
some 3rd party defrag tool and see if it can run in batch mode.

Duane :)

old jon 06-29-2005 12:59 PM

Re: Scheduled Tasks

"Ian Welch" <ianbwelch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I currently have Win XP. I would like to schedule a defrag and then the
>shut the computer down all while I'm sleeping at night. In previous
>versions of Windows you could do this. But for some reason I'm missing
>something very simple and can't seem to make it work.
>
> When I use the scheduled tasks wizard it doesn't offer defrag as an
> optioned program. When I browse for it and schedule it that way, that
> doesn't work either.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ian Welch

Hi Ian you will have to create a VBS script, and then point the scheduler to
it.
Go to Google, and type in schedule + defrag.
www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_defrag.htm
seems to have the answer for you.
best wishes..OJ

ellis_jay 06-29-2005 03:34 PM

Re: Scheduled Tasks

Ian Welch wrote:
> I currently have Win XP. I would like to schedule a defrag and then
> the shut the computer down all while I'm sleeping at night. In
> previous versions of Windows you could do this. But for some reason
> I'm missing something very simple and can't seem to make it work.
>
> When I use the scheduled tasks wizard it doesn't offer defrag as an
> optioned program. When I browse for it and schedule it that way, that
> doesn't work either.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ian Welch

I guess you know what you wanna do, but XP dos not often need defragging, at
least in my world.

Ellis_jay

Ian Welch 06-29-2005 04:48 PM

Thanks Old Jon

Thanks for your help. Everything worked.