Velocity Reviews

-   -   Assigning drive letters (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t225787-assigning-drive-letters.html)

Blaze 06-23-2005 12:14 PM

Assigning drive letters

I am currently using a Western Digital 20gig hard drive and I'm upgrading to
a Western Digital 80 gig. I run XP Pro. I have installed a zip drive, a cd
burner, a cd rom, and floppy. These devices are assigned their appropriate
drive letter with the hard drive being local c as it should. I unplug the 20
gig, plug in the 80 gig using the the same jumper settings and window OS,
and it finds the hard drive as local h, and the others mixed. How do I fix
this?
Thanks,

old jon 06-23-2005 12:52 PM

Re: Assigning drive letters

"Blaze" <mgctoona@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I am currently using a Western Digital 20gig hard drive and I'm upgrading
>to a Western Digital 80 gig. I run XP Pro. I have installed a zip drive, a
>cd burner, a cd rom, and floppy. These devices are assigned their
>appropriate drive letter with the hard drive being local c as it should. I
>unplug the 20 gig, plug in the 80 gig using the the same jumper settings
>and window OS, and it finds the hard drive as local h, and the others
>mixed. How do I fix this?
> Thanks,

Rt click on my computer, Manage\Disc management and reassign drive letters
to what you want. If the 80 is your new C: you might have to move one of the
others out of the way (reassign it`s drive letter). Bear in mind these
changes are recorded in the registry.
best wishes..J

Blaze 06-23-2005 07:18 PM

Re: Assigning drive letters

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try.

Walter Mautner 06-23-2005 08:25 PM

Re: Assigning drive letters

Blaze wrote:

> I am currently using a Western Digital 20gig hard drive and I'm upgrading
> to a Western Digital 80 gig. I run XP Pro. I have installed a zip drive, a
> cd burner, a cd rom, and floppy. These devices are assigned their
> appropriate drive letter with the hard drive being local c as it should. I
> unplug the 20 gig, plug in the 80 gig using the the same jumper settings
> and window OS, and it finds the hard drive as local h, and the others
> mixed. How do I fix this?

You cannot transfer a running OS to another harddrive. Use ghost, driveimage
or a knoppix cd and "dd", later on windows drive manager to partition the
remainder of your drive.
If you just want to add the drive, you can as well use the drive management
tool to assign your drive letters (rightclick on a partition/device and
chose the obvious).

*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Capt Morgan 10-31-2012 05:10 AM

Assigning Drive Letters Using Command Prompt / DOS

Open Command Prompt.

Type:

diskpart

At the DISKPART prompt, type:

list volume

Make note of the number of the volume whose drive letter you want to assign or change

At the next DISKPART prompt, type:

select volume X

Substitute the drive letter you want to assign or change for X

At the next DISKPART prompt, type one of the following:

assign letter=Y

Where Y is the new drive letter you want to assign or change.