Velocity Reviews

-   -   Computer Halts During Boot... Hard Drive Light is solid and screen goes into "standby mode" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t225415-computer-halts-during-boot-hard-drive-light-is-solid-and-screen-goes-into-standby-mode.html)

a@a.com 06-15-2005 11:52 PM

Computer Halts During Boot... Hard Drive Light is solid and screen goes into "standby mode"

All,

1st thanks for the help beogre I recieve any!!!

My problem...

computer specs..
P4 1.5G/P4SBM Suport Micro Mobo
512 PC133 Micron memory 2 sticks
WD300BB WDC Drive 30GB
Sony CRX-160E CD-Burner
Rage Pro 8MB Video

When the computer boots into windows After the splash screen
and the blue progress indicator goes away, the machine locks up..
The Hard Drive LED is solid and the Monitor states "no signal" and
goes into standby mode.

How this problem Started..

My Mother was working on the computer and a tree limb feel on the
power lines outside.. However This computer was on a 800VA Battery
UPS..

I removed the sound card, 1 stick of memory, cdrom, nic, modem and
swapped out the video card. The machine still has the symptoms
stated above..

Is the Mobo fried?..

I running WDC Drive utils on the system now and everything so far is
checking out OK..

NOTE: I tried to reinstall Windows 2K pro and upon "hardware
detection" the same result occurs.. I tried XP Pro and same result.
I loaded Arch Linux and same result.. However it likes dos...??

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Thanks,

Joe

Toolman Tim 06-15-2005 11:55 PM

Re: Computer Halts During Boot... Hard Drive Light is solid and screen goes into "standby mode"

<a@a.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> 1st thanks for the help beogre I recieve any!!!
>
> My problem...
>
> computer specs..
> P4 1.5G/P4SBM Suport Micro Mobo
> 512 PC133 Micron memory 2 sticks
> WD300BB WDC Drive 30GB
> Sony CRX-160E CD-Burner
> Rage Pro 8MB Video
>
> When the computer boots into windows After the splash screen
> and the blue progress indicator goes away, the machine locks up..
> The Hard Drive LED is solid and the Monitor states "no signal" and
> goes into standby mode.
>
> How this problem Started..
>
> My Mother was working on the computer and a tree limb feel on the
> power lines outside.. However This computer was on a 800VA Battery
> UPS..
>
> I removed the sound card, 1 stick of memory, cdrom, nic, modem and
> swapped out the video card. The machine still has the symptoms
> stated above..
>

> Is the Mobo fried?..
>
> I running WDC Drive utils on the system now and everything so far is
> checking out OK..
>
> NOTE: I tried to reinstall Windows 2K pro and upon "hardware
> detection" the same result occurs.. I tried XP Pro and same result.
> I loaded Arch Linux and same result.. However it likes dos...??
>
> Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

What I'd try is chkdsk - get out your XP setup CD, boot the computer from
that. When you get to the Welcome screen, type R for "Recovery Console".
When you get the C: prompt type chkdsk.

a@a.com 06-16-2005 12:03 AM

Re: Computer Halts During Boot... Hard Drive Light is solid and screen goes into "standby mode"

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:55:56 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote:

><a@a.com> wrote in message
>news:0ef1b1peps5n7rppihapg71rd1i6589n5t@4ax.com.. .
>> All,
>>
>> 1st thanks for the help beogre I recieve any!!!
>>
>> My problem...
>>
>> computer specs..
>> P4 1.5G/P4SBM Suport Micro Mobo
>> 512 PC133 Micron memory 2 sticks
>> WD300BB WDC Drive 30GB
>> Sony CRX-160E CD-Burner
>> Rage Pro 8MB Video
>>
>> When the computer boots into windows After the splash screen
>> and the blue progress indicator goes away, the machine locks up..
>> The Hard Drive LED is solid and the Monitor states "no signal" and
>> goes into standby mode.
>>
>> How this problem Started..
>>
>> My Mother was working on the computer and a tree limb feel on the
>> power lines outside.. However This computer was on a 800VA Battery
>> UPS..
>>
>> I removed the sound card, 1 stick of memory, cdrom, nic, modem and
>> swapped out the video card. The machine still has the symptoms
>> stated above..
>>

>> Is the Mobo fried?..
>>
>> I running WDC Drive utils on the system now and everything so far is
>> checking out OK..
>>
>> NOTE: I tried to reinstall Windows 2K pro and upon "hardware
>> detection" the same result occurs.. I tried XP Pro and same result.
>> I loaded Arch Linux and same result.. However it likes dos...??
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced the same thing?
>>

>What I'd try is chkdsk - get out your XP setup CD, boot the computer from
>that. When you get to the Welcome screen, type R for "Recovery Console".
>When you get the C: prompt type chkdsk.

Tim,

Thanks for the quick reply..

I have already check for errors on the drive..

The drive is clean with no lost clusters or missing links..

I'm zeroing the drive right now for reassurance...

Thanks,
Joe

Scoolio 06-16-2005 01:35 PM

<a@a.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:55:56 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote:
>

>><a@a.com> wrote in message
>>news:0ef1b1peps5n7rppihapg71rd1i6589n5t@4ax.com. ..
>>> All,
>>>
>>> 1st thanks for the help beogre I recieve any!!!
>>>
>>> My problem...
>>>
>>> computer specs..
>>> P4 1.5G/P4SBM Suport Micro Mobo
>>> 512 PC133 Micron memory 2 sticks
>>> WD300BB WDC Drive 30GB
>>> Sony CRX-160E CD-Burner
>>> Rage Pro 8MB Video
>>>
>>> When the computer boots into windows After the splash screen
>>> and the blue progress indicator goes away, the machine locks up..
>>> The Hard Drive LED is solid and the Monitor states "no signal" and
>>> goes into standby mode.
>>>
>>> How this problem Started..
>>>
>>> My Mother was working on the computer and a tree limb feel on the
>>> power lines outside.. However This computer was on a 800VA Battery
>>> UPS..
>>>
>>> I removed the sound card, 1 stick of memory, cdrom, nic, modem and
>>> swapped out the video card. The machine still has the symptoms
>>> stated above..
>>>

>>> Is the Mobo fried?..
>>>
>>> I running WDC Drive utils on the system now and everything so far is
>>> checking out OK..
>>>
>>> NOTE: I tried to reinstall Windows 2K pro and upon "hardware
>>> detection" the same result occurs.. I tried XP Pro and same result.
>>> I loaded Arch Linux and same result.. However it likes dos...??
>>>
>>> Has anyone else experienced the same thing?
>>>

>>What I'd try is chkdsk - get out your XP setup CD, boot the computer from
>>that. When you get to the Welcome screen, type R for "Recovery Console".
>>When you get the C: prompt type chkdsk.
>>

> Tim,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply..
>
> I have already check for errors on the drive..
>
> The drive is clean with no lost clusters or missing links..
>
> I'm zeroing the drive right now for reassurance...
>

> Thanks,
> Joe

I would pull every unneeded PCI or AGP device in use and try to boot with
just the bare necessities. If the mobo has onboard VGA and you can reset
your bios to the factory defaults then you should at least get far enough to
get past the "no signal" message. If you still get no signal I'd try the
following.

1) Try a known good PCI or AGP card (both preferably) since you don't know
if your AGP or PCI slot has gone south.

2) Try to boot off a live linux cd like knoppix. If you can get an X window
session up then you know your hardware is good.

3) Try a different monitor or monitor cable (if your monitor allows for a
new cable).

I think it's one of three things.

1) VGA adaptor (most likely)

2) Your Monitor (maybe but that's easy to test)

3) Your Monitor Cable/Pins (doubt it but can't rule it out)

Good Luck.

Jeff Estes of www.jeffestes.com

a@a.com 06-16-2005 10:28 PM

Re: Computer Halts During Boot... Hard Drive Light is solid and screen goes into "standby mode"

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:35:07 -0500, "Scoolio"
<jeffery_estes@hotmail.com> wrote:

><a@a.com> wrote in message
>news:ebg1b15a9r3gmhitdb1fn4m8a9ecnsnkep@4ax.com.. .
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:55:56 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
>> <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>><a@a.com> wrote in message
>>>news:0ef1b1peps5n7rppihapg71rd1i6589n5t@4ax.com ...

>>>What I'd try is chkdsk - get out your XP setup CD, boot the computer from
>>>that. When you get to the Welcome screen, type R for "Recovery Console".
>>>When you get the C: prompt type chkdsk.
>>>

>> Tim,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick reply..
>>
>> I have already check for errors on the drive..
>>
>> The drive is clean with no lost clusters or missing links..
>>
>> I'm zeroing the drive right now for reassurance...
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Joe
>>

>I would pull every unneeded PCI or AGP device in use and try to boot with
>just the bare necessities. If the mobo has onboard VGA and you can reset
>your bios to the factory defaults then you should at least get far enough to
>get past the "no signal" message. If you still get no signal I'd try the
>following.
>
>1) Try a known good PCI or AGP card (both preferably) since you don't know
>if your AGP or PCI slot has gone south.

Done... Same Issue

>2) Try to boot off a live linux cd like knoppix. If you can get an X window
>session up then you know your hardware is good.

Done.. Sleuth Linux Started Perfectly.. Ran for 10 mins..

>3) Try a different monitor or monitor cable (if your monitor allows for a
>new cable).

Done.. No different

>I think it's one of three things.
>
>1) VGA adaptor (most likely)
>
>2) Your Monitor (maybe but that's easy to test)
>
>3) Your Monitor Cable/Pins (doubt it but can't rule it out)
>
>Good Luck.

I am running a diag tool called "PC Diag '95".

It stated the Mobo failed the "RTC Counting Test"
RTC is Real Time Clock.

Also the Memory failed @ the last 8K 524288KB -> 524296KB..

I removed both sticks and the error still results on a good stick..
And always @ the end of the memory space..

I'm confused.. I've seen some interesting Hardware go south
but nothing like this.. It almost seems that something was shocked
by ESD just enough to emit bogus results...

Any Ideas?

Joe

J-McC 06-17-2005 02:33 AM

Re: Computer Halts During Boot... Hard Drive Light is solid and screen goes into "standby mode"

I would try 128mb of ram or 256mb certainley not 512mb to confirm that
memory circuitry on the mainboard is decoding the addresses properly.
I have recently had several p/cs with fried mainboards from power
surges. I repair p/cs for a living. I feel that if the diagnostic
came up with RTC errors then the mainboard may be damaged.
Some of the cooked boards that I have seen had little hot spots in the
epoxy on the larger i/cs on the mainboard, you can see them or feel
them with a little finger. The problem allways get worse as often the
latest mainboards will not the same formfacter memory or the main CPU.
Good luck
jmccardl@bigpond.net.au

Ben Myers 06-17-2005 01:25 PM

Re: Computer Halts During Boot... Hard Drive Light is solid and screen goes into "standby mode"

Go into the BIOS setup and reset it to the default settings.
Be sure to save the changes when exiting.

Ben

a@a.com 06-17-2005 10:47 PM

Re: Computer Halts During Boot... Hard Drive Light is solid and screen goes into "standby mode"

All,

Update...

I am convinced the mobo is shot.. After the tests the problem
is still intermiddent..

From the Solution that "J-McC" stated I am more solid in my decision..

The original mobo is a "Supermicro P4SBM" mATX..
However they do not make this mobo anymore..

I found a D845GLLY ($72 from pricewatch), by intel that supports my
168-pin DIMM and pga478 P4 1.5ghz..

I let you all know the outcome...

Thanks

Joe

a@a.com 06-17-2005 10:56 PM

Re: Computer Halts During Boot... Hard Drive Light is solid and screen goes into "standby mode"

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:33:11 GMT, jmccardl@bigpond.net.au (J-McC)
wrote:

>I would try 128mb of ram or 256mb certainley not 512mb to confirm that
>memory circuitry on the mainboard is decoding the addresses properly.
>I have recently had several p/cs with fried mainboards from power
>surges.

I can understand... This machine was on a 500va APC UPS..
I have seen some interesting things from lighting to Telecom/PC
components.. Melting Plastic and black Streaks always leave
images burned into the mind..

> I repair p/cs for a living. I feel that if the diagnostic
>came up with RTC errors then the mainboard may be damaged.
>Some of the cooked boards that I have seen had little hot spots in the
>epoxy on the larger i/cs on the mainboard, you can see them or feel
>them with a little finger.

Didn't notice the issues.. I looked over the board with a 10X Mag and
a Mag-light..

>The problem allways get worse as often the
>latest mainboards will not the same formfacter memory or the main CPU.

Ain't that the truth

>Good luck

Thanks

a@a.com 06-17-2005 10:56 PM

Re: Computer Halts During Boot... Hard Drive Light is solid and screen goes into "standby mode"

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:25:27 GMT, "Ben Myers"
<benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote:

>Go into the BIOS setup and reset it to the default settings.
>Be sure to save the changes when exiting.

done it.. No correction....