Velocity Reviews

-   -   Remote powerdown of network pc's from one PC UPS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t225199-remote-powerdown-of-network-pcs-from-one-pc-ups.html)

heruti 06-11-2005 11:56 PM

Remote powerdown of network pc's from one PC UPS

Hi,

I have several PC's and UPS's, only one is a late model with auto-power
down and USB connection. (APC Back-ups cs500)
I'd like that Powerchute personal edition software that came with it to
power down all other PC's in the network as well.
how can I find out which system event fires up upon a blackout,
and then make it run a batch file
(I don't think the personal edition can run scripts without a hack of
some sort, its a very rudimentary version)

thanks

why? 06-12-2005 06:36 AM

Re: Remote powerdown of network pc's from one PC UPS

On 11 Jun 2005 16:56:03 -0700, heruti wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I have several PC's and UPS's, only one is a late model with auto-power
>down and USB connection. (APC Back-ups cs500)
>I'd like that Powerchute personal edition software that came with it to
>power down all other PC's in the network as well.

Get the power bar , with the master socket. If the equipment in the
master socket is turned off it powers down the rest of the sockets.

http://www.maplin.co.uk
search for part - L01AQ

Try other places like Belkin as well.

>how can I find out which system event fires up upon a blackout,
>and then make it run a batch file

To make the stuff shutdown?

Assuming all Windows based PCs,

Monitor the event log of the PC with the APC software, when a power loss
happens run the remote psshutdown , www.sysinternals.com , utility.

heruti 06-13-2005 12:04 AM

Re: Remote powerdown of network pc's from one PC UPS

> Get the power bar , with the master socket. If the equipment in the
> master socket is turned off it powers down the rest of the sockets.

ah yes, that would only power off the machines; I want them shut down
orderly through windows, remotely, with the psShutdown command, before
their UPS batteries run out and they are abruptly shut off. (only one
UPS in our network is new and has USB port with software shut down
feature)

also regarding the power bar, its for UK plugs, is there a model for
European mainland plugs? (round ones) I couldn't find one

Thanks all the same

why? 06-13-2005 01:26 AM

On 12 Jun 2005 17:04:41 -0700, heruti wrote:

>> Get the power bar , with the master socket. If the equipment in the
>> master socket is turned off it powers down the rest of the sockets.

>ah yes, that would only power off the machines; I want them shut down
>orderly through windows, remotely, with the psShutdown command, before

I know. Windows is getting better at that, you can't have everything.

>their UPS batteries run out and they are abruptly shut off. (only one
>UPS in our network is new and has USB port with software shut down
>feature)

That's back to 1 PC detecting the power down event and running a
shutdown script.

>also regarding the power bar, its for UK plugs, is there a model for
>European mainland plugs? (round ones) I couldn't find one

Not a surprise, you can only Google for other suppliers of the same item
to fit your requirements. It would be odd not to find other versions.

Me