Velocity Reviews

-   -   Blocking a website (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t224730-blocking-a-website.html)

Danny 06-02-2005 09:02 PM

Blocking a website

Is there any way that I can allow Internet Explorer to operate, but disable
a particulat website? I've got Norton Anti-Virus and Firewall. I'm sure it
must be able to be done, but despite checking the manuals and doing a bit of
"fiddling", still can't find the solution.

Evan Platt 06-02-2005 09:15 PM

Re: Blocking a website

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:02:22 +0100, "Danny" <Danny@nospam.com> wrote:

>Is there any way that I can allow Internet Explorer to operate, but disable
>a particulat website? I've got Norton Anti-Virus and Firewall. I'm sure it
>must be able to be done, but despite checking the manuals and doing a bit of
>"fiddling", still can't find the solution.

Assuming you're running Windows of some sort -

A hosts file entry.

http://accs-net.com/hosts/how_to_use_hosts.html

Danny 06-02-2005 09:26 PM

Re: Blocking a website

Thanks Evan. That looks like just the job.

Francis 06-02-2005 09:46 PM

Re: Blocking a website

Excuse my top posting, but though You supply little detail,
am I correct in assuming you are suffering from homepage
hi-jack? Pop-ups? etc?
If so:
Type "spybot search and destroy" into reliable google,
download and install this invaluble piece of freeware.
Problem solved.
Note: via the google search you will be able to read all
there is to know on this issue.

Miggsee 06-02-2005 11:18 PM

Re: Blocking a website

Sorry to seem contrary, but...
What makes you think that pop-ups or hijacking are his problem? Granted,
more info, or the web page he wants to block, would be helpful.
What makes you think that top posting requires an apology in this news
group? If you are going through the efforts of typing an apology, why not
just bottom post? Don't you think it would be just as helpful to give the
poster Spybot's address?

Miggsee 06-02-2005 11:23 PM

Re: Blocking a website

Why not enable Content Advisor in IE (Tools> Internet Options> Content), and
enter the web address of the site you want to block, and click "Never"?

Francis 06-03-2005 12:11 AM

Re: Blocking a website

"Miggsee" <Miggsee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry to seem contrary, but...
> What makes you think that pop-ups or hijacking are his problem? Granted,
> more info, or the web page he wants to block, would be helpful.
> What makes you think that top posting requires an apology in this news
> group? If you are going through the efforts of typing an apology, why not
> just bottom post? Don't you think it would be just as helpful to give the
> poster Spybot's address?

Be quiet you dickhead!
Nothing of substance to contribute, you're just a smart ass
with nothing better to do, now get to the canal with kad man.

Mara 06-03-2005 01:06 AM

Re: Blocking a website

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 00:11:15 +0000 (UTC), "Francis" <witheld@unbalanced.net>
wrote:

>"Miggsee" <Miggsee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry to seem contrary, but...
>> What makes you think that pop-ups or hijacking are his problem? Granted,
>> more info, or the web page he wants to block, would be helpful.
>> What makes you think that top posting requires an apology in this news
>> group? If you are going through the efforts of typing an apology, why not
>> just bottom post? Don't you think it would be just as helpful to give the
>> poster Spybot's address?
>>

>Be quiet you dickhead!
>Nothing of substance to contribute, you're just a smart ass
>with nothing better to do, now get to the canal with kad man.

You first. :)

AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
--glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

Francis 06-03-2005 01:12 AM

Re: Blocking a website

"Mara" <go@awaynow.becauseIsaidso.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 00:11:15 +0000 (UTC), "Francis"
> <witheld@unbalanced.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"Miggsee" <Miggsee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Sorry to seem contrary, but...
>>> What makes you think that pop-ups or hijacking are his problem? Granted,
>>> more info, or the web page he wants to block, would be helpful.
>>> What makes you think that top posting requires an apology in this news
>>> group? If you are going through the efforts of typing an apology, why
>>> not
>>> just bottom post? Don't you think it would be just as helpful to give
>>> the
>>> poster Spybot's address?
>>>

>>Be quiet you dickhead!
>>Nothing of substance to contribute, you're just a smart ass
>>with nothing better to do, now get to the canal with kad man.

> You first. :)

- Another braindead dickhead!

> --
> "No lusers were harmed in the creation of this usenet article.
> AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
> --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

Try growing another braincell, the one you've got must be lonely!

Miggsee 06-03-2005 01:40 AM

Re: Blocking a website

"Mara" <go@awaynow.becauseIsaidso.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 00:11:15 +0000 (UTC), "Francis"
> <witheld@unbalanced.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"Miggsee" <Miggsee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Sorry to seem contrary, but...
>>> What makes you think that pop-ups or hijacking are his problem? Granted,
>>> more info, or the web page he wants to block, would be helpful.
>>> What makes you think that top posting requires an apology in this news
>>> group? If you are going through the efforts of typing an apology, why
>>> not
>>> just bottom post? Don't you think it would be just as helpful to give
>>> the
>>> poster Spybot's address?
>>>

>>Be quiet you dickhead!
>>Nothing of substance to contribute, you're just a smart ass
>>with nothing better to do, now get to the canal with kad man.

> You first. :)
>
> --
> "No lusers were harmed in the creation of this usenet article.
> AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
> --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

Hmm, I don't think I've ever been called a di**head before! Whoopee! :)