Velocity Reviews

-   -   system crashes - help! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t224514-system-crashes-help.html)

David 05-29-2005 04:56 PM

system crashes - help!

Every hour or so, my HP laptop crashes and reboots automatically for no
apparent reason. I noticed this behavior after I installed the Mozilla
Firefox browser. When it crashes, the screen goes black and a blue box with
about 60 lines of small white text appears briefly, then disappears and the
reboot starts. The text is so small and disappears so fast, that it's
nearly impossible to read what it says. I think it says something about
running a driver, but I haven't yet been able to read it fully before the
screen disappears.

I have uninstalled Firefox, run a virus check, did an Adaware scan, and
cleaned up my system registry, yet the problem still occurs.

Anybody have any clue what's going on or how I can fix this annoying
behavior?

Thanks in advance.
David

MrGrumpy 05-29-2005 05:02 PM

Re: system crashes - help!

Check Startup and Recovery options, in system, untick 'auto'
You may now be able to read err.msg

Toolman Tim 05-29-2005 05:04 PM

Re: system crashes - help!

"David" <n4wwl@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Every hour or so, my HP laptop crashes and reboots automatically for no
> apparent reason. I noticed this behavior after I installed the Mozilla
> Firefox browser. When it crashes, the screen goes black and a blue box
> with
> about 60 lines of small white text appears briefly, then disappears and
> the
> reboot starts. The text is so small and disappears so fast, that it's
> nearly impossible to read what it says. I think it says something about
> running a driver, but I haven't yet been able to read it fully before the
> screen disappears.
>
> I have uninstalled Firefox, run a virus check, did an Adaware scan, and
> cleaned up my system registry, yet the problem still occurs.
>
> Anybody have any clue what's going on or how I can fix this annoying
> behavior?

First, as soon as you restart next time, turn off the automatic reboot:

Right-click "My Computer" select "Properties" click the "Advanced" tab. At
the bottom (Startup and recovery) click on "Settings". Under "System
Failure" unckeck "Automatically restart".

Now when it crashes you can write down the error messages and post them
here. Include as much information as possible.

Actually, you might still have that info available in the event log.
Right-click "My Computer", select "Manage" find System Tools, Event Viewer,
System.

David 05-29-2005 05:21 PM

Re: system crashes - help!

Thanks. Here is one of the error messages from the system event log:

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c5
(0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8053e059). A dump was saved in
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini052905-02.dmp."

Any clue what this means?

Toolman Tim 05-29-2005 05:35 PM

Re: system crashes - help!

Windows 2000?

David 05-29-2005 05:42 PM

Re: system crashes - help!

Windows XP Home Edition.

Toolman Tim 05-29-2005 06:01 PM

Re: system crashes - help!

The following information is from Microsoft:
==========
The hexadecimal number following the word "STOP" is called the bug check
code or Stop code. This is the most important item on the screen.

Each bug check code has four associated parameters. They will always appear
sequentially. If fewer than four parameters appear, the remaining parameters
can be assumed to be zero.

The remainder of the text on the blue screen gives additional information.
For some bug checks, this may be an explanation of what happened or
suggestions for how you can deal with the problem.

General Troubleshooting Tips:

If you recently added hardware to the system, try removing or replacing it.
Or check with the manufacturer to see if any patches are available.

You can try running the hardware diagnostics supplied by the system
manufacturer.

Check with the manufacturer to see if an updated system BIOS or firmware is
available.

Make sure that any expansion board is properly seated and all cables are
completely connected.

Confirm that any new hardware is listed on the Windows Hardware
Compatibility List (HCL).

If new device drivers or system services have been added recently, try
removing or updating them.
(Important: Use Safe Mode when removing or disabling components. Using Safe
Mode loads only the minimum required drivers and system services during the
Windows startup. To enter Safe Mode, restart your computer, and press F8 at
the character-mode menu that displays the operating system choices. At the
resulting Windows Advanced Options menu, choose Safe Mode.)

Run a virus detection program. Viruses can infect all types of hard disks
formatted for Windows, and resulting disk corruption can generate system bug
check codes. Make sure the virus detection program checks the Master Boot
Record for infections.

Verify that the system has the latest Service Pack installed. To detect
which Service Pack, if any, is installed on your system, click Start, click
Run, type winver, and then press ENTER. The About Windows dialog box
displays the Windows version number and the version number of the Service
Pack, if one has been installed.

Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Check the System Log and Application Log in Event Viewer to see if any
additional error messages have been logged recently. These might pinpoint
the cause of the error.

Specific info on Stop 0xC5:

Bug Check 0xC5: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

The DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL bug check has a value of 0x000000C5. This
indicates that the system attempted to
access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.
ParameterDescription
1 Memory referenced
2 IRQL at time of reference
3 0: Read
1: Write
4 Address that referenced memory

Cause
The kernel attempted to access pageable memory (or perhaps completely
invalid memory) when the IRQL was too high. The ultimate cause of this
problem is almost certainly a driver that has corrupted the system pool.

In most cases, this bug check results if a driver corrupts a small
allocation (less than PAGE_SIZE). Larger allocations result in bug check
0xD0 (DRIVER_CORRUPTED_MMPOOL).

Resolving the Problem

If you have recently installed any new software, check to see if it is
properly installed. Check for updated drivers on the manufacturer's website.

To debug this error, use the special pool option of Driver Verifier. If this
fails to reveal the driver that caused the error, use the Global Flags
utility to enable the special pool by pool tag.

For information about the special pool, consult the Driver Verifier section
of the Windows DDK.
==============

So basically, I'd start by removing the latest software you installed - try
that in safe mode. Obviously in a laptop you haven't been adding new
internal hardware. Also check to see of there are any diagnostics from HP on
your laptop. On my desktop, it's Start/All Programs/Hewlett Packard/PC Help
& Tools.

David 05-29-2005 06:35 PM

Re: system crashes - help!

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Much of the MS info is Greek to me,
but I am assuming installation of Firefox caused the problem. Unistalling
it was a problem, because miscellaneous components were left in the system
and had to be deleted manually. Even so, the problem still exists.

I ran an HP system diagnostics check and everything checked out fine. I'll
have to research the Driver Verifier and Global Flags utilities.

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

David 05-29-2005 08:16 PM

Re: system crashes - help!

Wow! Running Driver Verifier was scary! It identified an error, but
wouldn't let me reboot the system because of it. I was lucky enough to get
into the registry editor and remove the running of the driver verifier
program so the computer would reboot. Safe Mode wouldn't come up as an
option for some reason when I tried the F8 key.

Meantime, the error mesages are:

"IO system verification error in PCANDIS5.SYS (WDM DRIVER ERROR 226)
[PCANDIS5.SYS +22a2 st F77342A2]"

Another error message was:

"Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL....

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x82A5D003, 0x00000002, 0xF8D88D7E)

FILTNT.SYS - Address F8D88D73 base at F8D87000, DateStamp 3do9df6b"

I recognize these as problems, but I don't know how to resolve them.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Toolman Tim 05-29-2005 08:40 PM

Re: system crashes - help!

Timing on the F8 key is often difficult, especially on faster machines. You
can force Safe Mode on a reboot using msconfig.exe. Start/Run, type msconfig
and press enter. Click on the boot.ini tab, then click the safeboot button.
Close the program, reboot. You will need to re-run msconfig to turn off the
safeboot option or it will always do that.

I searched Google for PCANDIS5.SYS and it may be related to Linksys WMP11
wireless software. If you use Linksys hardware, download the most recent
drivers, and check for firmware updates. Then uninstall the drivers, power
down the computer, remove the hardware, and restart (for me, it seems to
help clear the system if it's run once without the hardware.) Power off,
re-install the hardware using the new drivers.

FILTNT.SYS appears to be part of Outpost firewall. If you have that
installed, you might want to check for updates, or uninstall/reinstall the
software.