Velocity Reviews

-   -   What percentage of the PC using population use Windows 98? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t224405-what-percentage-of-the-pc-using-population-use-windows-98-a.html)

News 05-27-2005 01:54 AM

What percentage of the PC using population use Windows 98?

Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I just
wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?

Any thoughts?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 05-27-2005 01:57 AM

Re: What percentage of the PC using population use Windows 98?

On "News" <someone@someone.com> wrote:

|>Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I just
|>wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?

I still use it, but I also dual boot to XP; does that count?

--
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

Old Gringo 05-27-2005 01:58 AM

News wrote:
> Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I just
> wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
>
> Any thoughts?

A lot, which I am one. Win95 is still ticking out there also.

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

News 05-27-2005 02:03 AM

<Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
> On "News" <someone@someone.com> wrote:
>
> |>Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I
> just
> |>wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
>
> I still use it, but I also dual boot to XP; does that count?
>
> --
> http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

Well I just wondered really, also it is really a question which asks how
useful is older PC's and are they able to be still relevant for much use or
has windows xp and the faster pc made them somewhat obsolte for all intense
purposes.

News 05-27-2005 02:04 AM

"Old Gringo" <oldgringo-invalid-@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:U8vle.4113$TJ2.3358@newssvr11.news.prodigy.co m...
> News wrote:
>> Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I
>> just wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
>>
>> Any thoughts?

> A lot, which I am one. Win95 is still ticking out there also.

Windows 95? I thought the issues were that windows 95 just does not work
with much anything anymore? Could you still use it to surf the web properly?
Would the latest browsers work on it?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 05-27-2005 02:21 AM

Re: What percentage of the PC using population use Windows 98?

On "News" <someone@someone.com> wrote:

|><Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
|>news:9ivc9115pkqcqaujc9kq4ls2ch6pfrfio5@4ax.com. ..

|>> just
|>>
|>> I still use it, but I also dual boot to XP; does that count?

|>Well I just wondered really, also it is really a question which asks how
|>useful is older PC's and are they able to be still relevant for much use or
|>has windows xp and the faster pc made them somewhat obsolte for all intense
|>purposes.

In no way obsolete, Win2000 runs just fine on an older machine and
it's basically XP without the bells and whistles. Linux is also a good
choice for an older machine.

Nothing wrong with Win98 either, I still play the old DOS games
http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php and it's just easier on 98.

--
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

Old Gringo 05-27-2005 02:39 AM

News wrote:
> "Old Gringo" <oldgringo-invalid-@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:U8vle.4113$TJ2.3358@newssvr11.news.prodigy.co m...
>
>>News wrote:
>>
>>>Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I
>>>just wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
>>>
>>>Any thoughts?

>>A lot, which I am one. Win95 is still ticking out there also.

> Windows 95? I thought the issues were that windows 95 just does not work
> with much anything anymore? Could you still use it to surf the web properly?
> Would the latest browsers work on it?
>
>>--
>>Old Gringo George
>>Magic Weaver Of Life
>>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
>>Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

Not sure about what will work on Win95 anymore but I know I am
running out of choices. Going to try and make it another year until
Longhorn comes out.

News 05-27-2005 02:44 AM

news:2Mvle.1398$4N2.1083@newssvr30.news.prodigy.co m...
> News wrote:
>> "Old Gringo" <oldgringo-invalid-@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:U8vle.4113$TJ2.3358@newssvr11.news.prodigy.co m...

>>>A lot, which I am one. Win95 is still ticking out there also.

>> Windows 95? I thought the issues were that windows 95 just does not work
>> with much anything anymore? Could you still use it to surf the web
>> properly? Would the latest browsers work on it?
>>
>>>--
>>>Old Gringo George
>>>Magic Weaver Of Life
>>>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
>>>Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

> Not sure about what will work on Win95 anymore but I know I am running out
> of choices. Going to try and make it another year until Longhorn comes
> out.

I actually used to think why bother waiting, in fact I can clearly remember
someone telling me that windows xp was nothing special compared to 98 except
for few fancy bells and whiltles, but in fact since having xp I realise the
huge difference. For me its the stability factor, plus xp was combined with
a bigger pc which might help.

Its just so stable! No crashes. From what I have read, it is basically the
NT system/ or file system (not exactly sure) but its similar to windows 2000
and not very similar to the 98 family and much improved reliability.

I have not worked with linux, but I gather that linux is having this
"reliablity" thing. The windows 98 used to irk me so much because things
were allways going wrong, just lots of little annoying things, like this or
that was allways not functioning correctly or so it seemed.

Blinky the Shark 05-27-2005 03:39 AM

News wrote:

><Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message

>> just

>> I still use it, but I also dual boot to XP; does that count?

>> --
>> http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

> Well I just wondered really, also it is really a question which asks how
> useful is older PC's and are they able to be still relevant for much use or
> has windows xp and the faster pc made them somewhat obsolte for all intense
> purposes.

What purposes do you consider intense?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Blinky the Shark 05-27-2005 03:47 AM

News wrote:

> I actually used to think why bother waiting, in fact I can clearly
> remember someone telling me that windows xp was nothing special
> compared to 98 except for few fancy bells and whiltles, but in fact
> since having xp I realise the huge difference. For me its the
> stability factor, plus xp was combined with a bigger pc which might
> help.

Mine (and I don't use XP) is 18" x 16" x 8" (46cm x 41cm x 20cm).

How big is yours?

--
Blinky T. "38 liters / 10 gallons" Shark