Velocity Reviews

-   -   need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool kit to buy (physical tool kits, not software kits/suites) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t224277-need-recommendations-on-what-brand-specific-computer-tool-kit-to-buy-physical-tool-kits-not-software-kits-suites.html)

Trevor Smithson 05-25-2005 12:28 AM

need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool kit to buy (physical tool kits, not software kits/suites)

Hello

I'm looking for recommendation on what brands and specific tool kits
to buy. I had a cheap, about 10-piece kit, but it got lost in a
recent move. It had some regular screwdrivers, a few mini-style
screwdrivers, a chip extractor, tweezers, a screw/connector/jumper/
box, and came in a crummy zipper case. Got that one at a trade show a
few years back as a freebie.

Whatever I get, in addition to the above I'd like the kit to have a
wire stripper/cutter, a soldering iron, needle-nose pliers and a
ratchet driver with standard/phlips/torx/square bits. A small
flashlight would be nice.

Amazon has a Belkin 55-piece kit for $34.98:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

Buy.com has a Fellowes 55-peice kit for $33.88:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...01&hdwt=0&sp=1

No soldering iron with the Fellowes, it does have a voltage tester.

Both have free shipping available, and both are priced about 40% off.
None of local stores have much available but the cheap 8-to-20 piece
kits, or very expensive kits with LAN and/or electrical tools.

Anyone have/used either of these? Are the tools of good quality?

Any other brands or specific kits I should consider? I don't need a
nice case or anything, as I plan to put all the tools I get into a
small tollbox that I have. I'd like to keep the price below $50.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 05-25-2005 01:01 AM

Re: need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool kitto buy (physical tool kits, not software kits/suites)

Trevor Smithson wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm looking for recommendation on what brands and specific tool kits
> to buy. I had a cheap, about 10-piece kit, but it got lost in a
> recent move. It had some regular screwdrivers, a few mini-style
> screwdrivers, a chip extractor, tweezers, a screw/connector/jumper/
> box, and came in a crummy zipper case. Got that one at a trade show a
> few years back as a freebie.
>
> Whatever I get, in addition to the above I'd like the kit to have a
> wire stripper/cutter, a soldering iron, needle-nose pliers and a
> ratchet driver with standard/phlips/torx/square bits. A small
> flashlight would be nice.
>
> Amazon has a Belkin 55-piece kit for $34.98:
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846
>
> Buy.com has a Fellowes 55-peice kit for $33.88:
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...01&hdwt=0&sp=1
>
> No soldering iron with the Fellowes, it does have a voltage tester.
>
> Both have free shipping available, and both are priced about 40% off.
> None of local stores have much available but the cheap 8-to-20 piece
> kits, or very expensive kits with LAN and/or electrical tools.
>
> Anyone have/used either of these? Are the tools of good quality?
>
> Any other brands or specific kits I should consider? I don't need a
> nice case or anything, as I plan to put all the tools I get into a
> small tollbox that I have. I'd like to keep the price below $50.

I usually get by with a Philips screwdriver and the occasional
pocketknife or needlenose pliers. Sometimes even my old multimeter. But
you might want to look over:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2622632B

Plato 05-25-2005 06:30 AM

Trevor Smithson wrote:

> I'm looking for recommendation on what brands and specific tool kits
> to buy. I had a cheap, about 10-piece kit, but it got lost in a

Over the years I've seen those pc toolkits and such and often they come
with tools that are either too cheaply made or tools you dont need.
Personally, I've always found it best to get the ones I need
individually, even tho it costs more.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Jeroen Wijnands 05-25-2005 08:01 AM

Re: need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool kit to buy (physical tool kits, not software kits/suites)

Both belkin and fellows are mediocre quality. I'd say go to a decent
hardware store and pick out what you need.

My kit consists of both regular and philips screwdrivers in size 1, 2
and 3. A set of extra-small instrument maker screwdrivers. Some tiny
pliers and a tiny wirecutter, a cable stripper and an RJ45 crimp tool.
I'm meaning to get me a set of torx screwdrivers as well.

Jeroen

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 05-25-2005 05:18 PM

Jeroen Wijnands wrote:

> Both belkin and fellows are mediocre quality. I'd say go to a decent
> hardware store and pick out what you need.
>
> My kit consists of both regular and philips screwdrivers in size 1, 2
> and 3. A set of extra-small instrument maker screwdrivers. Some tiny
> pliers and a tiny wirecutter, a cable stripper and an RJ45 crimp tool.
> I'm meaning to get me a set of torx screwdrivers as well.

I've actually got a small fortune tied up in tools from crimpers to cat5
testing to 18v cordless drills, saws and nibblers and hacksaws and ...
but like I posted, most of the time when I'm working on a single PC it's
a Philips screwdriver from the local dollar store (means el-cheapo) and
sometimes a pair of needlenose pliers getting most of the work.

Blinky the Shark 05-25-2005 07:48 PM

Rgr wrote:

> I've actually got a small fortune tied up in tools from crimpers to
> cat5 testing to 18v cordless drills, saws and nibblers and hacksaws
> and ... but like I posted, most of the time when I'm working on a
> single PC it's a Philips screwdriver from the local dollar store
> (means el-cheapo) and sometimes a pair of needlenose pliers getting
> most of the work.

Don't you be comin' around *here* with that hacksaw, Mister. :)

When I put the case-side fan in my machine, I used a nibbler for the
first time. What a nifty little tool for not much money! I haven't
needed it since, but it was WELL worth the twelve bucks or whatever I
paid for it, for that job alone. It did a bee-yootiful job.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263