Velocity Reviews

-   -   Primary/Secondary (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t224144-primary-secondary.html)

Tappy Lappy 05-22-2005 07:48 PM

Primary/Secondary

How important is it that two HDDs should be primary master and slave, and
two CD/DVD drives should be
secondary master and slave.

Thanks to all who have answered my previous queruies, and to anyone who has
a look at this.

old jon 05-22-2005 07:54 PM

Re: Primary/Secondary

"Tappy Lappy" <Tappy Lappy@nufc.com> wrote in message
> How important is it that two HDDs should be primary master and slave, and
> two CD/DVD drives should be
> secondary master and slave.
>
> Thanks to all who have answered my previous queruies, and to anyone who
> has a look at this.

That`s the way windows likes it to be. Honest. best wishes..J

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 05-22-2005 11:56 PM

Re: Primary/Secondary

On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:48:53 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
Lappy@nufc.com> wrote:

|>How important is it that two HDDs should be primary master and slave, and
|>two CD/DVD drives should be
|>secondary master and slave.

Basic answer:
So the drive controller knows there are two, and where they are; so
when it's time to read or write to either one it knows where it's at.

Tappy Lappy 05-23-2005 06:33 AM

Re: Primary/Secondary

<Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:48:53 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
> Lappy@nufc.com> wrote:
>
> |>How important is it that two HDDs should be primary master and slave,
> and
> |>two CD/DVD drives should be
> |>secondary master and slave.
>
> Basic answer:
> So the drive controller knows there are two, and where they are; so
> when it's time to read or write to either one it knows where it's at.

Sorry to be a pain, but would this have something to do with my previous
problem of getting the Bsod when trying to burn CDs from my secondary
HD, but not from my primary if the drives were cabled wrongly?

Ron Martell 05-23-2005 07:20 AM

Re: Primary/Secondary

"Tappy Lappy" <Tappy Lappy@nufc.com> wrote:

>How important is it that two HDDs should be primary master and slave, and
>two CD/DVD drives should be
>secondary master and slave.
>
>Thanks to all who have answered my previous queruies, and to anyone who has
>a look at this.

Not really that important at all with regard to that specific
configuration.

The following things are important:

1. The boot drive should be the primary master.
2. If a hard drive and a CD/DVD are on the same IDE channel then the
hard drive should be the master and the CD/DVD the slave.

So your drives could also be configured with one hard drive as master
on the primary IDE and a CD/DVD as primary slave; and the second hard
drive as master on the secondary IDE with another CD/DVD as secondary
slave.

In the early days of IDE controllers it used to be that the speed of
the entire channel was determined by the slowest speed device on the
that channel. So putting a high speed (hard drive) and a low speed
(CD/DVD) on the same channel used to result in the hard drive being
slowed down to the speed of the CD/DVD in terms of data throughput.
That is no longer the case, and it hasn't been that way for at least
the past 10 years, but the legend still persists.

Hope this explains the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 05-23-2005 03:00 PM

Re: Primary/Secondary

On Mon, 23 May 2005 06:33:00 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
Lappy@nufc.com> wrote:

|><Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
|>news:4o62919eevk61fv82fnpn57lr6u50qqqs0@4ax.com. ..

|>> and
|>>
|>> Basic answer:
|>> So the drive controller knows there are two, and where they are; so
|>> when it's time to read or write to either one it knows where it's at.

|>Sorry to be a pain, but would this have something to do with my previous
|>problem of getting the Bsod when trying to burn CDs from my secondary
|>HD, but not from my primary if the drives were cabled wrongly?

You back? :)

If cable'd wrongly, yes you would have problems, but would be seen
anytime that drive was attempt'd to be accessed not just when burning
CD's.

If you can read and write to each drive they are set up correctly.

Try forceaspi, might help you out with your CD problems.
http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
-or might not-