Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows claims Floppy is write protected but its not (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t223996-windows-claims-floppy-is-write-protected-but-its-not.html)

Billh 05-20-2005 12:52 AM

Windows claims Floppy is write protected but its not

I have an older computer at work that will not write to the A drive
claims it is write protected. Which it is not. I tried a few disks and
then changed out the drive with a new one and no joy. Reading is no
problem.

I Googled up some advice to check the bios for setting that makes the
drive read only and to put a new cable on. I will try this when I get
back on Monday. Any other ideas?

doS 05-20-2005 12:55 AM

Re: Windows claims Floppy is write protected but its not

yes, make sure the disk "clicks" into the drive,had an issue like that and
the floppy was not fully inserted.

news:428d3368$0$6602$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com ...

blablabla 05-20-2005 01:45 AM

Re: Windows claims Floppy is write protected but its not

"Billh" <menot@home.com> wrote in message
news:428d3368$0$6602$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com ...
>I have an older computer at work that will not write to the A drive claims
>it is write protected.

Windows makes a lot of unsubstantiated claims. And this suprises you why
exactly?

Franklin 05-20-2005 01:46 AM

Billh wrote:
> I have an older computer at work that will not write to the A drive
> claims it is write protected. Which it is not. I tried a few disks and
> then changed out the drive with a new one and no joy. Reading is no
> problem.
>
> I Googled up some advice to check the bios for setting that makes the
> drive read only and to put a new cable on. I will try this when I get
> back on Monday. Any other ideas?

Hi,
On the back of the disk is a like a button just push it down or pull it up.
HTH

Billh 05-20-2005 08:30 PM

Franklin wrote:
> Billh wrote:
>
>> I have an older computer at work that will not write to the A drive
>> claims it is write protected. Which it is not. I tried a few disks
>> and then changed out the drive with a new one and no joy. Reading is
>> no problem.
>>
>> I Googled up some advice to check the bios for setting that makes the
>> drive read only and to put a new cable on. I will try this when I get
>> back on Monday. Any other ideas?

> Hi,
> On the back of the disk is a like a button just push it down or pull it up.
> HTH

Thanks that was the first thing I checked.

Richard Webb 05-21-2005 01:21 PM

Re: Windows claims Floppy is write protected but its not

Hi

It is just possible there is a fault in your floppy drive.

Seems to me it is not sensing the position of the protect slider on the
inserted Floppy.

If you are keen, it may be worth opening it up & having a look, perhaps some
dust getting in the way?

Good luck,

Richard

news:428e479b$0$6656$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com ...

Billh 05-22-2005 11:53 PM

Re: Windows claims Floppy is write protected but its not

That was the second thing I tried was putting a new drive in and that
did not help.

Billh 05-26-2005 02:48 AM

Billh wrote:
> I have an older computer at work that will not write to the A drive
> claims it is write protected. Which it is not. I tried a few disks and
> then changed out the drive with a new one and no joy. Reading is no
> problem.
>
> I Googled up some advice to check the bios for setting that makes the
> drive read only and to put a new cable on. I will try this when I get
> back on Monday. Any other ideas?

BTW it was the bios setting.