Velocity Reviews

-   -   Western Digital USB drive help please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t223869-western-digital-usb-drive-help-please.html)

cotehill@gmail.com 05-17-2005 06:57 PM

Western Digital USB drive help please

5 months out of warranty and now cannot access. Any tips or hints to
try and get it working again please? Running XP SP2 on a Toshiba
Laptop.

Thanks Neil

Ghostrider 05-17-2005 07:10 PM

Re: Western Digital USB drive help please

cotehill@gmail.com wrote:
> 5 months out of warranty and now cannot access. Any tips or hints to
> try and get it working again please? Running XP SP2 on a Toshiba
> Laptop.
>
> Thanks Neil

When plugged into the computer, is the WD USB drive seen
in Disk Management? What about by another computer?

old jon 05-17-2005 07:16 PM

Re: Western Digital USB drive help please

What Gr says applies. If you can try the unit in another computer, you prove
whether its a laptop software problem or the USB unit. (we assume the power
is OK on the USB ?. So like Gr says, check in Admin Tools\Disk management to
see whether it shows up. The secret to success is to try to narrow down the
fault. best wishes..J

news:1116356267.883596.72490@o13g2000cwo.googlegro ups.com...

cotehill@gmail.com 05-18-2005 09:33 AM

old jon wrote:
> What Gr says applies. If you can try the unit in another computer,

you prove
> whether its a laptop software problem or the USB unit. (we assume the

power
> is OK on the USB ?. So like Gr says, check in Admin Tools\Disk

management to
> see whether it shows up. The secret to success is to try to narrow

down the
> fault. best wishes..J
>
> <cotehill@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1116356267.883596.72490@o13g2000cwo.googlegro ups.com...
> >5 months out of warranty and now cannot access. Any tips or hints to
> > try and get it working again please? Running XP SP2 on a Toshiba
> > Laptop.
> >
> > Thanks Neil

Thanks for the replies. Drive does not show up in Disk Management. Also
tried it connected to my other laptop but no success. The power and
data leds are on constantly but no access.

old jon 05-18-2005 01:48 PM

Re: Western Digital USB drive help please

<cotehill@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1116356267.883596.72490@o13g2000cwo.googlegro ups.com...
>5 months out of warranty and now cannot access. Any tips or hints to
> try and get it working again please? Running XP SP2 on a Toshiba
> Laptop.
>
> Thanks Neil

Hi Neil. next step. Download hard drive test tools from WD. Make floppy
disk, or CD if it is an option. You`ve then got to get the drive out of it`s
USB and install into a PC, Install in place of existing HD and run the tests
on it. I offer this as a suggestion only, `cos I don`t think the tools will
even find the USB unit. I hope someone knows better `cos that`s the best I
can offer. My best wishes..J