Velocity Reviews

-   -   Have lost ALL MS Office Apps by messing with Registry - Help Please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t223641-have-lost-all-ms-office-apps-by-messing-with-registry-help-please.html)

Fred-C- 05-14-2005 12:58 AM

Have lost ALL MS Office Apps by messing with Registry - Help Please

I tried to get rid of a program out of the ADD/Remove programs in that
specific list.. I didn't think i had 'Office Premium' so i went to the
registry and deleted the data in the 'uninstall' string.
NOW I cannot accesss ANY of the following: FRONTPAGE,WORD,EXCEL, etc...

When i run them i get an errorr message that says ''This Application needs
to be installed to run...install it from the original location from where
you got the App''

The thing is, i have a upgrade winME Disk i used to put WinME on my Comp.

ANY IDEAS PLEASE GUYS AND GALS, Much Appreciated..really!!
Can i find some really early registry back-ups somewhere, and if
so....where?
ALL THE BEST - FRED - MORPH

Toolman Tim 05-14-2005 01:00 AM

Re: Have lost ALL MS Office Apps by messing with Registry - Help Please

"Fred-C-" <fred-C@nospam> wrote in message
>I tried to get rid of a program out of the ADD/Remove programs in that
> specific list.. I didn't think i had 'Office Premium' so i went to the
> registry and deleted the data in the 'uninstall' string.
> NOW I cannot accesss ANY of the following: FRONTPAGE,WORD,EXCEL, etc...
>
> When i run them i get an errorr message that says ''This Application needs
> to be installed to run...install it from the original location from where
> you got the App''
>
> The thing is, i have a upgrade winME Disk i used to put WinME on my Comp.
>
> ANY IDEAS PLEASE GUYS AND GALS, Much Appreciated..really!!
> Can i find some really early registry back-ups somewhere, and if
> so....where?
> ALL THE BEST - FRED - MORPH

Your WinME disk has nothing whatsover to do with your Microsoft Office
software - it's an entirely different program, disk set, CD Key, etc. If you
don't have the Office setup CD and the proper key, you're screwed.

So STAY THE BLOODY HELL OUT of your registry, moron!

philo 05-14-2005 01:11 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:00:51 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

> "Fred-C-" <fred-C@nospam> wrote in message
>>I tried to get rid of a program out of the ADD/Remove programs in that
>> specific list.. I didn't think i had 'Office Premium' so i went to the
>> registry and deleted the data in the 'uninstall' string.
>> NOW I cannot accesss ANY of the following: FRONTPAGE,WORD,EXCEL, etc...
>>
>> When i run them i get an errorr message that says ''This Application needs
>> to be installed to run...install it from the original location from where
>> you got the App''
>>
>> The thing is, i have a upgrade winME Disk i used to put WinME on my Comp.
>>
>> ANY IDEAS PLEASE GUYS AND GALS, Much Appreciated..really!!
>> Can i find some really early registry back-ups somewhere, and if
>> so....where?
>> ALL THE BEST - FRED - MORPH
>>

> Your WinME disk has nothing whatsover to do with your Microsoft Office
> software - it's an entirely different program, disk set, CD Key, etc. If you
> don't have the Office setup CD and the proper key, you're screwed.

Possibly, however you may be able to restore the registry or perform a
system restore...to the point prior to your registry editing

doS 05-14-2005 01:29 AM

Re: Have lost ALL MS Office Apps by messing with Registry - Help Please

Reinstall the apps.

nos1eep 05-14-2005 02:15 AM

Re: Have lost ALL MS Office Apps by messing with Registry - Help Please

"Fred-C-" <fred-C@nospam> wrote in message
>I tried to get rid of a program out of the ADD/Remove programs in that
> specific list.. I didn't think i had 'Office Premium' so i went to the
> registry and deleted the data in the 'uninstall' string.
> NOW I cannot accesss ANY of the following: FRONTPAGE,WORD,EXCEL, etc...
>
> When i run them i get an errorr message that says ''This Application needs
> to be installed to run...install it from the original location from where
> you got the App''
>
> The thing is, i have a upgrade winME Disk i used to put WinME on my Comp.
>
> ANY IDEAS PLEASE GUYS AND GALS, Much Appreciated..really!!
> Can i find some really early registry back-ups somewhere, and if
> so....where?
> ALL THE BEST - FRED - MORPH

Go to Control Panel, Add and Remove Program, select Microsoft Office, select
Change and then select repair.

Sultan 05-14-2005 02:48 AM

Re: Have lost ALL MS Office Apps by messing with Registry - Help Please

"Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in

> "Fred-C-" <fred-C@nospam> wrote in message
>>I tried to get rid of a program out of the ADD/Remove programs in

that
>> specific list.. I didn't think i had 'Office Premium' so i went to
>> the registry and deleted the data in the 'uninstall' string.
>> NOW I cannot accesss ANY of the following: FRONTPAGE,WORD,EXCEL,
>> etc...
>>
>> When i run them i get an errorr message that says ''This

Application
>> needs to be installed to run...install it from the original

location
>> from where you got the App''
>>
>> The thing is, i have a upgrade winME Disk i used to put WinME on

my
>> Comp.
>>
>> ANY IDEAS PLEASE GUYS AND GALS, Much Appreciated..really!!
>> Can i find some really early registry back-ups somewhere, and if
>> so....where?
>> ALL THE BEST - FRED - MORPH
>>

> Your WinME disk has nothing whatsover to do with your Microsoft

Office
> software - it's an entirely different program, disk set, CD Key,

etc.
> If you don't have the Office setup CD and the proper key, you're
> screwed.
>
> So STAY THE BLOODY HELL OUT of your registry, moron!

If he has an pirated copy of Office then justice has been served.

--

Sultan

Toolman Tim 05-14-2005 03:05 AM

"Sultan" <sultanofcyber@mungedmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9655DE26CE62Asultanofcyberhotmail@204.153. 244.170...
> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in
>

>> "Fred-C-" <fred-C@nospam> wrote in message
>>>I tried to get rid of a program out of the ADD/Remove programs in

> that
>>> specific list.. I didn't think i had 'Office Premium' so i went to
>>> the registry and deleted the data in the 'uninstall' string.
>>> NOW I cannot accesss ANY of the following: FRONTPAGE,WORD,EXCEL,
>>> etc...
>>>
>>> When i run them i get an errorr message that says ''This

> Application
>>> needs to be installed to run...install it from the original

> location
>>> from where you got the App''
>>>
>>> The thing is, i have a upgrade winME Disk i used to put WinME on

> my
>>> Comp.
>>>
>>> ANY IDEAS PLEASE GUYS AND GALS, Much Appreciated..really!!
>>> Can i find some really early registry back-ups somewhere, and if
>>> so....where?
>>> ALL THE BEST - FRED - MORPH
>>>

>> Your WinME disk has nothing whatsover to do with your Microsoft

> Office
>> software - it's an entirely different program, disk set, CD Key,

> etc.
>> If you don't have the Office setup CD and the proper key, you're
>> screwed.
>>
>> So STAY THE BLOODY HELL OUT of your registry, moron!
>>

> If he has an pirated copy of Office then justice has been served.

Quite. I have no compassion for pirates. Nor for idiots, which this
particular Fred has proven himself to be many many times in the last year.
He did get his computer used, IIRC, and Office may have been already on it.
Lot's of people sell/give away used computers without regard for software
licensing, but that is certainly no excuse.

Paul - xxx 05-14-2005 07:38 AM

Re: Have lost ALL MS Office Apps by messing with Registry - Help Please

Fred-C- came up with the following;:

> When i run them i get an errorr message that says ''This Application needs
> to be installed to run...install it from the original location from where
> you got the App''
>
> The thing is, i have a upgrade winME Disk i used to put WinME on my Comp.

You need the CD that you installed MS Office from.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

127.0.0.1 05-22-2005 02:01 PM

Re: Have lost ALL MS Office Apps by messing with Registry - Help Please

"Sultan" <sultanofcyber@mungedmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9655DE26CE62Asultanofcyberhotmail@204.153. 244.170...
> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in
>

>> "Fred-C-" <fred-C@nospam> wrote in message
>>>I tried to get rid of a program out of the ADD/Remove programs in

> that
>>> specific list.. I didn't think i had 'Office Premium' so i went to
>>> the registry and deleted the data in the 'uninstall' string.
>>> NOW I cannot accesss ANY of the following: FRONTPAGE,WORD,EXCEL,
>>> etc...

> If he has an pirated copy of Office then justice has been served.

that depends...
who's the pirate? microsoft or the consumer?

you can google most of microsoft's unlawful practices.
stealing from thieves isn't what i consider a bad thing.

-a|ex

Toolman Tim 05-22-2005 02:09 PM

"127.0.0.1" <get.rooted@localhost> wrote in message
news:Hg0ke.8672$w21.4595@newsread3.news.atl.earthl ink.net...

> "Sultan" <sultanofcyber@mungedmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9655DE26CE62Asultanofcyberhotmail@204.153. 244.170...
>> "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in
>>

>>> "Fred-C-" <fred-C@nospam> wrote in message

>> that
>>>

>> If he has an pirated copy of Office then justice has been served.
>>

> that depends...
> who's the pirate? microsoft or the consumer?
>
> you can google most of microsoft's unlawful practices.
> stealing from thieves isn't what i consider a bad thing.

Maybe not to you, but stealing from theives is *still* stealing.