Velocity Reviews

-   -   IT professional? What makes a good Tech? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t223255-it-professional-what-makes-a-good-tech.html)

Paul Kersey 05-06-2005 01:21 PM

IT professional? What makes a good Tech?

Got talked into a short-term project recently that required a skill set I as
yet don't have. Recruiter was anxious to get the postion filled. It was
pretty humilating. (Basically, got kicked from the project.)
The thing that really got me, was the hit my confidence took. Since I got my
A+/Network+ work has been piece meal and not always in the same areas.
Experience seems to be hard to come by or maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

What's a good way to keep the skills sharp and confidence high, when the
work is not consistent?
What makes a good Tech?

PK

why? 05-06-2005 06:07 PM

Re: IT professional? What makes a good Tech?

On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:21:52 GMT, "Paul Kersey" <Paul
Kersey@nospamaol.com> wrote:

The C.Bronson character?

>Got talked into a short-term project recently that required a skill set I as
>yet don't have. Recruiter was anxious to get the postion filled. It was
>pretty humilating. (Basically, got kicked from the project.)
>The thing that really got me, was the hit my confidence took. Since I got my
>A+/Network+ work has been piece meal and not always in the same areas.

Those are useful?

>Experience seems to be hard to come by or maybe I'm not trying hard enough.
>
>What's a good way to keep the skills sharp and confidence high, when the
>work is not consistent?

Build up a network at home, wired , wireless, Windows , Linux , FTP ,
mail, DNS servers etc. You don't need to make those visible public
services just know how to configure them make them work.

Windows NT4 Server (lots of businesses never upgraded) , Win 2000 / 2003
Servers , Windows desktop clients.

>What makes a good Tech?

Linux/Unix/Solaris , Windows (multiple versions) , DNS , WINS,
Networking, Security, Wireless, LAN and WAN, Cisco , Routing, fault
finding, software tool sets for disgnostics. IIS/Apache, PHP, Perl.
Office Apps , VBA. Firewalls hardware / software.

It usually takes 7-9 weeks to be asked about 80% of the stuff on the
list. Then it starts all over again.

I am told also good people skill / business understanding , but I am not
going to change that soon.

On top of that a well thumbed set of O'Reilly books covering many of the
topics above.

Me

Keme 05-09-2005 05:34 PM

Paul Kersey wrote:
> Got talked into a short-term project recently that required a skill set I as
> yet don't have. Recruiter was anxious to get the postion filled. It was
> pretty humilating. (Basically, got kicked from the project.)
> The thing that really got me, was the hit my confidence took. Since I got my
> A+/Network+ work has been piece meal and not always in the same areas.
> Experience seems to be hard to come by or maybe I'm not trying hard enough.
>
> What's a good way to keep the skills sharp and confidence high, when the
> work is not consistent?
> What makes a good Tech?
>
> PK

Tech skills can be acquired alone, through reading and experimenting
with a few computers, routers etc. Hard work if you're in a
"professional vacuum", but possible.

Listening (identifying the customer's needs) and fault detection are two
important skills often overlooked, and not easily learnt through
exercises. Just bear them in mind always.