Velocity Reviews

-   -   Icon location in Windows XP? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t222792-icon-location-in-windows-xp.html)

Sseadoubleyou 04-28-2005 06:49 AM

Icon location in Windows XP?

Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating system
icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

Troy Piggins 04-28-2005 07:44 AM

Re: Icon location in Windows XP?

* Sseadoubleyou wrote:
> Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating
> system icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

Think it's c:\windows\system32\shell.dll or shell32.dll

--
T R O Y P I G G I N S
e : usenet@piggo.com

Brian 04-28-2005 11:17 AM

"Troy Piggins" <usenet@piggo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> * Sseadoubleyou wrote:
> > Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating
> > system icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

> Think it's c:\windows\system32\shell.dll or shell32.dll
>
> --
> T R O Y P I G G I N S
> e : usenet@piggo.com

is that so? are you able to tell him how to get the .ico out of a DLL?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 04-28-2005 12:47 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:17:56 +0200, "Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote:

|>"Troy Piggins" <usenet@piggo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
|>>
|>> Think it's c:\windows\system32\shell.dll or shell32.dll
|>>
|>> --
|>> T R O Y P I G G I N S
|>> e : usenet@piggo.com

|> is that so? are you able to tell him how to get the .ico out of a DLL?

Any program here http://tinyurl.com/d4xjc that uses the keyword
extract should.

--
The Eagle Nebula image release on Hubble's 15th birthday
http://tinyurl.com/982nm (space.com)

JANA 04-28-2005 01:15 PM

Re: Icon location in Windows XP?

For basic XP Icons.

Try this one: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll

--

JANA
_____

Frodo_333 12-12-2007 04:37 PM

This one works fine...

Loup0999 02-16-2009 08:40 PM

Freeware

You should try a freeware called Resource Hacker.

It lets you decompile and recompile system files so you can edit the content!
You can hack every logo in the system by replacing them with your own bitmaps!

Replace avi files to create your own animations (progress bar, etc)
Search Google for "resource hacker" AND tutorials and get more info. 8)

wguru 02-12-2010 10:14 PM

is everyone getting the ms finger?

when right-clicking on a given folder, selecting to choose a different icon for it, why would that button only open the system32 folder (as opposed to the actual shell32.dll)?

I've never seen this happen before, and I've used Win98, XP's and even Vista Ho-Prem SP3, but my fresh reinstall of an Acer AOA150 (using the hidden partition's backed software) doesn't get me to the dll, just it's folder.

Sort of like asking for directions to somewhere specific and someone just points.

Educationalist 11-21-2010 11:34 PM

Icon shells

Also \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\pifmgr.dll has a nice assortment of icons.

I like the wizard's cap & wand.
:wink:

PS: shell.dll is not an icon collection as are shell32 and pifmgr

kg1016 04-22-2011 06:40 PM

finding icons in windows xp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sseadoubleyou (Post 1074575)
Anyone know where the default location/folder is for the operating system
icons for Windows XP? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

try here: C:\program files\WinUtilities\icons