Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to open a .pst file? (non email) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t221753-how-to-open-a-pst-file-non-email.html)

hugh jass 04-09-2005 01:51 PM

How to open a .pst file? (non email)

I created a pst file in Outlook 2002. Wasn't using it for email, just for
tasks and calendar.
Then I installed Outlook 2003 and couldn't open the file.
Now I go back to Outlook 2002 and can't seem to open the file there either.
Is there an easy way to read this file?
I'd prefer to do it without dilly-dallying with the Outlook software. I've
learned my lesson - won't bother trying to archive tasks with .pst files.
Thanks in advance,
hj

riddick 04-09-2005 02:22 PM

Re: How to open a .pst file? (non email)

news:r5R5e.27389$Fy3.1786637@news20.bellglobal.com ...

http://www.mailnavigator.com/read_dbx_file.html
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm

Old Gringo 04-09-2005 02:27 PM

hugh jass wrote:
> I created a pst file in Outlook 2002. Wasn't using it for email, just for
> tasks and calendar.
> Then I installed Outlook 2003 and couldn't open the file.
> Now I go back to Outlook 2002 and can't seem to open the file there either.
> Is there an easy way to read this file?
> I'd prefer to do it without dilly-dallying with the Outlook software. I've
> learned my lesson - won't bother trying to archive tasks with .pst files.
> Thanks in advance,
> hj

By typing {opening pst files} in the address bar of FireFox, this is
what I came up with in the blink of an eye:
http://www.mailnavigator.com/reading...pst_files.html

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

MrGrumpy 04-09-2005 02:28 PM

Re: How to open a .pst file? (non email)

The pst can only be opened in OL.
A pst created in OL2003, in unicode format, can only be read in OL2003
To create a OL2003 pst in 'old' format you have to specifically create a new
pst in the old format.
OL can only open a pst that is saved to a hd, with read only flag off. - OL
requires read/write permissions to a pst -
To open a pst, within OL, File/Open/Data File (or Personal Folders pst -
depends on OL version)
If pst cannot be opened run the repair tool on it - scanpst.exe - you may
have to run several times.
Only one OL can exist on a sys.
Do NOT overwrite any existing pst - Do NOT import a pst, open it within OL

hugh jass 04-09-2005 02:29 PM

Re: How to open a .pst file? (non email)

Thanks for this - though it looks like these links are for fixing corrupt
pst files. This might be too much effort and not end up working in the end.

All I want to do is find a 'text editor' that can read the pst format so I
can retrieve the information I typed into it. Or, if not a text editor,
then a workaround of some sort.
A hierarchichal list in Word would be just fine.
Any ideas anyone?

trout 04-09-2005 02:47 PM

Then you can't be too concerned over your loss, you ****ing fool.

--
This is my signature. If my post does not contain
this signature it's probably a forgery. Beware

hugh jass 04-09-2005 02:57 PM

Re: How to open a .pst file? (non email)

Thanks for all the detail. The pst file was created in OLl2002, not 2003.
Had no luck opening it in OL2002 or OL2003.
Thnx.

hugh jass 04-09-2005 02:58 PM

Re: How to open a .pst file? (non email)

atleast I'm f**kin.
you are just a fool.
How do I know? You waste time responding as below.

MrGrumpy 04-09-2005 04:30 PM

Re: How to open a .pst file? (non email)

I'll leave the rest to your post in ms.OL ng

news:g3S5e.27541$Fy3.1807508@news20.bellglobal.com ...

MrGrumpy 04-09-2005 04:31 PM

Re: How to open a .pst file? (non email)

There is no work around
A pst can ONLY be opened in OL

news:uFR5e.14880$6k4.1146086@news20.bellglobal.com ...