Velocity Reviews

-   -   File Names with spaces in them? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t221386-file-names-with-spaces-in-them.html)

Mike Cox 04-03-2005 11:01 AM

File Names with spaces in them?

I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory locations.
The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for instance "C:
\Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files" without the space? I
also have to contend with the fact that it requires paths to be written the
UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/" which complicates matters even more.

I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
\Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. How
would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?

FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :-)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?= 04-03-2005 11:06 AM

Re: File Names with spaces in them?

Mike Cox wrote:

> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory locations.
> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for instance "C:
> \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files" without the space? I
> also have to contend with the fact that it requires paths to be written the
> UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/" which complicates matters even more.
>

> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. How
> would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
>
> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :-)

Read the FAQ, ask your question(s) in the Apache NG's, and as far as
building Apache to run with windows, use the Win32 builds, i.e.
apache_2.0.53-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi

Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV 04-03-2005 11:50 AM

Mike Cox wrote:
> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
> locations.
> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
> instance "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
> which complicates matters even more.
>

> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
> How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
>
> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :-)

c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the other
hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any hassle.
--
- Frank DeLucca -

MS-MVP (Not confirmed, yet)

* 04-03-2005 11:53 AM

Re: File Names with spaces in them?

Hi Mike Cox, You told me:
> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
> locations.
> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
> instance

'the program'? What ****ing 'program'? Apache? Something else? What? You
less than vague cretin?

> "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
> which complicates matters even more.
>

> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
> How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
>
> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :-)

Try enclosing the filename in double quotes and use forward slashes.

ServerRoot "C:/Mike Cox/is a/****tard"

Alias /****tard "C:/Mike Cox/is a/****tard"

for ex****ingample.

Read the Windows version of httpd.conf, for ex****ingample.

"C:/Mike Cox/is a/****tard"
"C:/Mike Cox/is a/****tard/who knows **** all"

If 'the program' still fails to recognise spaces, use the DOS short path.
See DIR /X, for ex****ingample.

You have spent too much time in cola. Linux makes you ****ing stupid.

Jeff_Relf 04-03-2005 12:16 PM

My lawyers eat your types for lunch.

Hi Check_Kiter, You told Mikie: << Hi Mike Cox, You told me: >>

Unless I see your royalty check in the mail soon,
my lawyers will be contacting your lawyers.

P.S. My lawyers eat your types for lunch.

( ha ha... it's a joke )

DC 04-03-2005 01:31 PM

Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
> Mike Cox wrote:
>> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
>> locations.
>> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
>> instance "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
>> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
>> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
>> which complicates matters even more.

>> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
>> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
>> How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?

>> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :-)

> c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the other
> hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any hassle.

Are you royalty, per chance? Else, who the hell is *we*?

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com

Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV 04-03-2005 02:14 PM

DC wrote:
> Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
>> Mike Cox wrote:
>>> I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory
>>> locations.
>>> The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for
>>> instance "C: \Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files"
>>> without the space? I also have to contend with the fact that it
>>> requires paths to be written the UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/"
>>> which complicates matters even more.

>>> I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:
>>> \Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.
>>> How would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?

>>> FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :-)

>> c:\program%20files might work. We haven't tested this, but on the
>> other hand, we do recommend you use the 8.3 convention to avoid any
>> hassle.

> Are you royalty, per chance? Else, who the hell is *we*?

FYI, *we* are the largest software company in the world. You might have
heard from us, or you will soon. *We* also recommend you to stop using Linux
RIGHT NOW, because it's an inferior Operating System and there are no
Service Pak's available for it. BTW, KDE and Gnome sucks.
--
- Frank DeLucca -

MS-MVP (Not confirmed, yet)

why? 04-03-2005 02:54 PM

Re: File Names with spaces in them?

x-post trimmed to 24hshd.

On 3 Apr 2005 13:01:21 +0200, Mike Cox wrote:

>I have the Apache web Server that reads a file for directory locations.
>The problem is that the program doesn't understand spaces, for instance "C:

What program?

>\Program Files\" How do I write "C:\Program Files" without the space? I

So it's you writing LFNs or the program reading them?

Get the program to use 8.3 format?

Read the manual for the PHP code and see why it's having problems with
LFNs.

Use something else that parses LFN's correctly and pass them back into
the PHP code.

As with any webserver / scripting it's *always best to avoid spaces &
stuff like !"$ and uppercase in paths and filenames.

>also have to contend with the fact that it requires paths to be written the
>UNIX way of "C:/Program Files/" which complicates matters even more.

Also easy although it's been years since doing that.

You should IIRC be able to use either / or \ as long as you stick to the
same methos all the way throughout.

>I think there is an escape charcter something along the lines of "C:

Duh! try \\ if not that www.google.com

PHP guide
.... The escape character is a backslash ( \ ) and it tells the PHP
parser to just
print and not read the character that follows the escape character. ...

>\Program/?Files" but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. How
>would I even write it if Apache wants it the UNIX way?
>
>FYI I'm trying to get PHP to work on Apache 1.3.x on Win2k. :-)

Lots of PHP books, mailing lists and forums, and even some newsgroups.
Check other sources.

Me

DC 04-03-2005 05:13 PM

You are such a ****ing ****.

Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV 04-03-2005 08:20 PM

DC wrote:
> Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV wrote:
>> DC wrote:

>>> Are you royalty, per chance? Else, who the hell is *we*?

>> FYI, *we* are the largest software company in the world. You might
>> have heard from us, or you will soon. *We* also recommend you to
>> stop using Linux RIGHT NOW, because it's an inferior Operating
>> System and there are no Service Pak's available for it. BTW, KDE
>> and Gnome sucks.

> You are such a ****ing ****.

Thanks, you illiterate bucket of radioactive haemorrhoids.

--
- Frank DeLucca -

MS-MVP (Not confirmed, yet)