Velocity Reviews

-   -   Compaq (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t221312-compaq.html)

Bruce 04-02-2005 09:59 AM

Compaq

A friend asked me to take a look at their Compaq 2000 Pentium 2 MMX as the
sound card wasn't working.

To cut it short I ended up doing a clean reinstall of the OS ,replacing the
Floppy drive as it was rattling like mad and the sound card. Now the FDD
will only read 748kb discs and wantsto format the 1.44 mgb to that, the
system doesn't detect either the new or old sound card. I suspect the BIOS
but none of the keys seem to stale the Compaq flash screen.

Any ides how to access the BIOS.

Best Wishes
Bruce
( Illegitimi non carborundum est )

Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV 04-02-2005 11:36 AM

Re: Compaq

Bruce wrote:
> A friend asked me to take a look at their Compaq 2000 Pentium 2 MMX
> as the sound card wasn't working.
>
> To cut it short I ended up doing a clean reinstall of the OS
> ,replacing the Floppy drive as it was rattling like mad and the sound
> card. Now the FDD will only read 748kb discs and wantsto format the
> 1.44 mgb to that, the system doesn't detect either the new or old
> sound card. I suspect the BIOS but none of the keys seem to stale the
> Compaq flash screen.
>
> Any ides how to access the BIOS.
>
> Best Wishes
> Bruce
> ( Illegitimi non carborundum est )

On most Compaq systems, hitting F10 at startup will get you into the BIOS.
--
- Frank DeLucca -

MS-MVP (Not confirmed, yet)

S W 04-02-2005 11:54 AM

Re: Compaq

"Bruce" <brucefalcon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:V1u3e.12170$r47.10439@fe3.news.blueyonder.co. uk...

> A friend asked me to take a look at their Compaq 2000 Pentium 2 MMX as
> the
> sound card wasn't working.
>
> To cut it short I ended up doing a clean reinstall of the OS ,replacing
> the
> Floppy drive as it was rattling like mad and the sound card. Now the FDD
> will only read 748kb discs and wantsto format the 1.44 mgb to that, the
> system doesn't detect either the new or old sound card. I suspect the BIOS
> but none of the keys seem to stale the Compaq flash screen.
>
> Any ides how to access the BIOS.
>
> Best Wishes
> Bruce
> ( Illegitimi non carborundum est )

Hit F10 when there's a flashing block cursor in the top right part of the
screen, that should do it.

Regards

ifonly 04-02-2005 11:58 AM

Re: Compaq

Check on Compaq website, or watch the screen sometimes the message goes by
quickly. Compaq always puts bios/utilities stuff on a small portion of the
hard disk.

doS 04-02-2005 02:34 PM

Re: Compaq

No they dont.

Rob 04-02-2005 03:16 PM

Re: Compaq

Bruce wrote:
> A friend asked me to take a look at their Compaq 2000 Pentium 2 MMX as the
> sound card wasn't working.
>
> To cut it short I ended up doing a clean reinstall of the OS ,replacing the
> Floppy drive as it was rattling like mad and the sound card. Now the FDD
> will only read 748kb discs and wantsto format the 1.44 mgb to that, the
> system doesn't detect either the new or old sound card. I suspect the BIOS
> but none of the keys seem to stale the Compaq flash screen.
>
> Any ides how to access the BIOS.
>
> Best Wishes
> Bruce
> ( Illegitimi non carborundum est )

You get into the bios by pressing F10 when you see the square flashing
block in the top rh corner - however on the Deskpro 2000 (which I assume
you have) it runs the setup program from a special partition on the hdd
- if you've deleted this it won't work. You will need to download the
setup and diags floppys from their website.

I guess if the fdd is broken you may have a problem though.

Rob

Plato 04-02-2005 09:16 PM

Re: Compaq

doS wrote:

> No they dont.
>
> > Check on Compaq website, or watch the screen sometimes the message goes by
> > quickly. Compaq always puts bios/utilities stuff on a small portion of
> > the
> > hard disk.

Sure they did on the majority of their older systems. IT was a way to
save money on buying bios's. If for example, you zero'd the drive, you'd
no longer have access to your bios, unless you used one of their
rompacks that came on 1.44s. Stupid pc company.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato 04-02-2005 09:16 PM

Re: Compaq

ifonly wrote:

> Check on Compaq website, or watch the screen sometimes the message goes by
> quickly. Compaq always puts bios/utilities stuff on a small portion of the
> hard disk.

Yes that's true for many older systems.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato 04-02-2005 09:16 PM

Re: Compaq

Bruce wrote:

> A friend asked me to take a look at their Compaq 2000 Pentium 2 MMX as the
> sound card wasn't working.
>
> To cut it short I ended up doing a clean reinstall of the OS ,replacing the
> Floppy drive as it was rattling like mad and the sound card. Now the FDD
> will only read 748kb discs and wantsto format the 1.44 mgb to that, the
> system doesn't detect either the new or old sound card. I suspect the BIOS
> but none of the keys seem to stale the Compaq flash screen.
>
> Any ides how to access the BIOS.

Often when the big cursor is in the upper hand corner while booting you
hit f10, or try delete.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/