Velocity Reviews

-   -   Monitor display shakes after sleeping (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t221233-monitor-display-shakes-after-sleeping.html)

Julie P. 04-01-2005 12:39 AM

Monitor display shakes after sleeping

I tried switching to 1024 x 768 display resolution recently on my 17"
Gateway2000 CrystalScan monitor. I use Windows XP Home. I didn't like the
results, so I switched back to 800 x 600.

Ever since then, after sleeping, or starting up after turned off, the
monitor display shakes along the border of the window for about a minute or
two, then stops. This never used to happen until I did the switch above.

I went back and checked my monitor settings, and played around with things,
but there was really nothing that fixed the problem. I know when I first
switched back to 800x 600, my monitor asked me a question, like what Hertz I
wanted. It offered me two choices, but I didn't know what to choose, so it
made the choice for me. Now it says it is at 60 Hz. Don't know if this has
anything to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Julie

Unk 04-01-2005 12:42 AM

Re: Monitor display shakes after sleeping

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:39:59 -0500, "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I tried switching to 1024 x 768 display resolution recently on my 17"
>Gateway2000 CrystalScan monitor. I use Windows XP Home. I didn't like the
>results, so I switched back to 800 x 600.
>
>Ever since then, after sleeping, or starting up after turned off, the
>monitor display shakes along the border of the window for about a minute or
>two, then stops. This never used to happen until I did the switch above.
>
>I went back and checked my monitor settings, and played around with things,
>but there was really nothing that fixed the problem. I know when I first
>switched back to 800x 600, my monitor asked me a question, like what Hertz I
>wanted. It offered me two choices, but I didn't know what to choose, so it
>made the choice for me. Now it says it is at 60 Hz. Don't know if this has
>anything to do with it.
>
>Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
>
>Julie

Yes, it has. Try the other setting.

Julie P. 04-01-2005 12:44 AM

"Unk" <not@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:39:59 -0500, "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I tried switching to 1024 x 768 display resolution recently on my 17"
>>Gateway2000 CrystalScan monitor. I use Windows XP Home. I didn't like the
>>results, so I switched back to 800 x 600.
>>
>>Ever since then, after sleeping, or starting up after turned off, the
>>monitor display shakes along the border of the window for about a minute
>>or
>>two, then stops. This never used to happen until I did the switch above.
>>
>>I went back and checked my monitor settings, and played around with
>>things,
>>but there was really nothing that fixed the problem. I know when I first
>>switched back to 800x 600, my monitor asked me a question, like what Hertz
>>wanted. It offered me two choices, but I didn't know what to choose, so it
>>made the choice for me. Now it says it is at 60 Hz. Don't know if this has
>>anything to do with it.
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
>>
>>Julie
>>

> Yes, it has. Try the other setting.

I will, but it does not always come up. It only asks me randomly what Hertz
I want. I switched to 800 x 600 before, and it did not ask me that time.

Julie P. 04-01-2005 12:54 AM

"Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Unk" <not@aol.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:39:59 -0500, "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I tried switching to 1024 x 768 display resolution recently on my 17"
>>>Gateway2000 CrystalScan monitor. I use Windows XP Home. I didn't like the
>>>results, so I switched back to 800 x 600.
>>>
>>>Ever since then, after sleeping, or starting up after turned off, the
>>>monitor display shakes along the border of the window for about a minute
>>>or
>>>two, then stops. This never used to happen until I did the switch above.
>>>
>>>I went back and checked my monitor settings, and played around with
>>>things,
>>>but there was really nothing that fixed the problem. I know when I first
>>>switched back to 800x 600, my monitor asked me a question, like what
>>>Hertz I
>>>wanted. It offered me two choices, but I didn't know what to choose, so
>>>it
>>>made the choice for me. Now it says it is at 60 Hz. Don't know if this
>>>has
>>>anything to do with it.
>>>
>>>Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
>>>
>>>Julie
>>>

>> Yes, it has. Try the other setting.

> I will, but it does not always come up. It only asks me randomly what
> Hertz I want. I switched to 800 x 600 before, and it did not ask me that
> time.

Ok, I found where you can change the Hertz settings. I have a choice from 60
to 120 Hz. What should I choose?

Thanks!

pee1son 04-01-2005 01:03 AM

> "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Unk" <not@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes, it has. Try the other setting.

>> I will, but it does not always come up. It only asks me randomly what
>> Hertz I want. I switched to 800 x 600 before, and it did not ask me that
>> time.
>>

> Ok, I found where you can change the Hertz settings. I have a choice from
> 60 to 120 Hz. What should I choose?
>
> Thanks!

Go for 120 hz at 800 x 600. Your system will look right to you at the higher
resolution 1024 x 768 if you simply click the advanced button on the Display
Properties Settings Tab and select large fonts. You will have to restart the
system after, but you will be pleased with the results.Try it.

-nos1eep\

PennyWise@DerryMaine.Gov 04-01-2005 01:13 AM

Re: Monitor display shakes after sleeping

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:54:05 -0500, "Julie P."
<jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote:

|>> I will, but it does not always come up. It only asks me randomly what
|>> Hertz I want. I switched to 800 x 600 before, and it did not ask me that
|>> time.
|>>

|>Ok, I found where you can change the Hertz settings. I have a choice from 60
|>to 120 Hz. What should I choose?

Where you change your HZ click on the option to hide resolutions your
monitor can't use; Then select the highest allowable.

Too high a HZ can destroy your monitor, and a google of yours shows 75
being the highest possible.

Julie P. 04-01-2005 01:20 AM

"pee1son" <anything@anywhere.com> wrote in message

> "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Unk" <not@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> I will, but it does not always come up. It only asks me randomly what
>>> Hertz I want. I switched to 800 x 600 before, and it did not ask me that
>>> time.
>>>

>> Ok, I found where you can change the Hertz settings. I have a choice from
>> 60 to 120 Hz. What should I choose?
>>
>> Thanks!

> Go for 120 hz at 800 x 600. Your system will look right to you at the
> higher resolution 1024 x 768 if you simply click the advanced button on
> the Display Properties Settings Tab and select large fonts. You will have
> to restart the system after, but you will be pleased with the results.Try
> it.
>
> -nos1eep\

Thanks! I will try 120 Hz. And I did try 1024 x 768 for a while. The problem
is that many pages, such as cnn.com, are not optimized for that resolution,
so it only takes up about 70% of the page! Also, I did try larger fonts, but
then the words appear in a way that the web designer did not intend, in
regards to breaks and spacing. And there are some things where you cannot
adjust the fonts. I know, it sounds stupid, but things like this irritate
me. :)

Julie

Julie P. 04-01-2005 01:41 AM

<PennyWise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message

> that
> |>>

> |>Ok, I found where you can change the Hertz settings. I have a choice
> from 60
> |>to 120 Hz. What should I choose?
>
> Where you change your HZ click on the option to hide resolutions your
> monitor can't use; Then select the highest allowable.

I didn't see that option there at all.

> Too high a HZ can destroy your monitor, and a google of yours shows 75
> being the highest possible.

Thanks! I just switched it to 75, as well as 1024 x 768 with 120 DPI to make
the fonts larger!

pee1son 04-01-2005 01:43 AM

> "pee1son" <anything@anywhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Ok, I found where you can change the Hertz settings. I have a choice
>>> from 60 to 120 Hz. What should I choose?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Go for 120 hz at 800 x 600. Your system will look right to you at the
>> higher resolution 1024 x 768 if you simply click the advanced button on
>> the Display Properties Settings Tab and select large fonts. You will have
>> to restart the system after, but you will be pleased with the results.Try
>> it.
>>
>> -nos1eep\
>>

> Thanks! I will try 120 Hz. And I did try 1024 x 768 for a while. The
> problem is that many pages, such as cnn.com, are not optimized for that
> resolution, so it only takes up about 70% of the page! Also, I did try
> larger fonts, but then the words appear in a way that the web designer did
> not intend, in regards to breaks and spacing. And there are some things
> where you cannot adjust the fonts. I know, it sounds stupid, but things
> like this irritate me. :)
>
> Julie

whatever, your choice, fwiw, I run 1280 x 1024 @ 100 hz and see no conflicts
or distortion.

-nos1eep\

Julie P. 04-01-2005 01:44 AM

Re: Monitor display shakes after sleeping

"Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "pee1son" <anything@anywhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Ok, I found where you can change the Hertz settings. I have a choice
>>> from 60 to 120 Hz. What should I choose?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Go for 120 hz at 800 x 600. Your system will look right to you at the
>> higher resolution 1024 x 768 if you simply click the advanced button on
>> the Display Properties Settings Tab and select large fonts. You will have
>> to restart the system after, but you will be pleased with the results.Try
>> it.
>>
>> -nos1eep\
>>

> Thanks! I will try 120 Hz. And I did try 1024 x 768 for a while. The
> problem is that many pages, such as cnn.com, are not optimized for that
> resolution, so it only takes up about 70% of the page! Also, I did try
> larger fonts, but then the words appear in a way that the web designer did
> not intend, in regards to breaks and spacing. And there are some things
> where you cannot adjust the fonts. I know, it sounds stupid, but things
> like this irritate me. :)
>
> Julie

Ok, I see you meant change the DPI? I just switched to 1024 x 768 and 120
DPI with 75 Hz. when I last tried 1024 x 768, I had previously tried
changing the font size via IE6, and that produced bad results. But the 120
DPI instead of 96 seems better, although it takes a lot of getting used to,
since everything looks different now. My eyes are hurting a little. :)