Velocity Reviews

-   -   Canon scanner problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t220960-canon-scanner-problem.html)

R L Tosswill 03-27-2005 09:45 AM

Canon scanner problem

Every half-dozen or so scans, my Canoscan freezes in mid scan. 300dpi, no memory
problems, random occurrence. Have to restart every time. Checked that my driver
is the same as the download offered by Canon.
Has anyone any ideas?

Richard

JANA 03-27-2005 11:57 AM

Re: Canon scanner problem

Try the scanner on different USB ports, and see if it does the same thing.
Look in the System Info, and go to the IRQ's. See what is being shared by
the USB ports. A scanner can be critical to IRQ sharing, and or conflicts.

Sometimes these problem are fixed by putting the scanner on an active
(powered) USB hub. The hub acts like a timer buffer, and allows for longer
port timeouts in case there are any delays from the way the system is
addressing the USB ports. There was an issue about this from HP, and a few
other manufactures.

Sometimes there is a problem where the port is too fast for the scanner. The
active USB hub will slow things down for it. Sometimes the scanner software
can have timing issues under some conditions.

If you do not find a USB port that works properly with your scanner, try
putting the scanner on an active USB hub. The try different USB ports from
the computer to the hub. If this does not work, then you have to start
getting in to the IRQ sharing of the USB ports in the computer.

Scanner tips:
http://www.scantips.com/chap3b.html

Newsgroups:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...=Search+Groups

--

JANA
_____

philo 03-27-2005 11:59 AM

Re: Canon scanner problem

R L Tosswill wrote:
> Every half-dozen or so scans, my Canoscan freezes in mid scan. 300dpi, no memory
> problems, random occurrence. Have to restart every time. Checked that my driver
> is the same as the download offered by Canon.
> Has anyone any ideas?
>
> Richard

could be a mechanical problem

°Mike° 03-27-2005 12:04 PM

Re: Canon scanner problem

Connections? Faulty scanner?

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:45:54 +0100, in
<a40d41tek0id64e0tbifgu6snnbslmftgl@4ax.com>
R L Tosswill scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

VX99 03-27-2005 12:33 PM

Re: Canon scanner problem

lubricate the sle

--
VX9
VX99's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1119

recruit2112 03-27-2005 01:56 PM

Re: Canon scanner problem

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 05:59:02 -0600, philo wrote:

> R L Tosswill wrote:
>> Every half-dozen or so scans, my Canoscan freezes in mid scan. 300dpi, no memory
>> problems, random occurrence. Have to restart every time. Checked that my driver
>> is the same as the download offered by Canon.
>> Has anyone any ideas?
>>
>> Richard

> could be a mechanical problem

I've had a variation on this. Make sure all your cables are seated
correctly, and reboot. Depending on the environment you could have some
corrosion on your connectors.

R L Tosswill 03-28-2005 01:23 PM

Re: Canon scanner problem

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:57:00 -0500, "JANA" <jana@ca.inter.net> wrote:

>Try the scanner on different USB ports, and see if it does the same thing.

He wrote a whole lot more that I didn't understand, but I didn't need to - his
first suggestion worked like a charm. Thank you.

And thank you to everyone else who replied. In an increasingly greedy world, the
kindness of those who frequent such newsgroups as this stands out.

Colossa 12-04-2012 12:09 PM

My Scanner doesn't work properly. Like for example:
I put the plug on my computer and I was about to select "Scan" But it isn't lighting up which means it's not plugged. Please tell me what to do!