Velocity Reviews

-   -   Computer won't recognize a DVD (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t220795-computer-wont-recognize-a-dvd.html)

hwr 03-24-2005 03:45 PM

Computer won't recognize a DVD

I tried sending this before, but don't see that it went through. I
apologize if it appears twice.
===========================
My DVD drive (old-timer...not a writer) won't work. It will recognize and
utilize CD's, but not DVD's. With a DVD in the drive, get the error message
DRIVE NOT ACCESSIBLE. I ran the drive's installation program again (It
advised me that "Previous installation is OK"), but the same results as to
recognizing a DVD.

This leaves me helpless installing a program from a DVD.

Thanks for help.

hwr
(I would appreciate a copy of any reply being sent to
HenryRit@Comcast.net.)

pengulin 03-24-2005 11:53 PM

Re: Computer won't recognize a DVD

Seems to be a failing drive. If I understand you correctly, it is failing
to read the contents of the DVD media (as opposed to being able to read the
contents of the disk, but not being able to play a movie).

Failure to read media usually indicates drive failure, unless it is just one
particular disk. If you haven't done so yet, try other DVDs. If it doesn't
read any DVDs, you have a failing drive. The fact that the drive reads
contents from a cdrom doesn't detract from this view, because the drive
contains a different read head for cdroms.