Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firefox Receives Another Security Update (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t220791-firefox-receives-another-security-update.html)

Old Gringo 03-24-2005 02:59 PM

Firefox Receives Another Security Update

http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)
--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

Martin Harran 03-24-2005 05:03 PM

Re: Firefox Receives Another Security Update

"Old Gringo" <oldgringo747-noworkie-jet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3BA0e.3089$yq2.1985@newssvr12.news.prodigy.co m...
> http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)

And I'd say expect more as Firefox becomes more and more popular and the
dickheads focus on it more.

People forget that a big part of the reason that IE has had so many
vulnerabilities exposed is that being the dominant browser, it is the
obvious target for the dickheads.

Old Gringo 03-24-2005 05:10 PM

Martin Harran wrote:
> "Old Gringo" <oldgringo747-noworkie-jet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:3BA0e.3089$yq2.1985@newssvr12.news.prodigy.co m...
>
>>http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)

> And I'd say expect more as Firefox becomes more and more popular and the
> dickheads focus on it more.
>
> People forget that a big part of the reason that IE has had so many
> vulnerabilities exposed is that being the dominant browser, it is the
> obvious target for the dickheads.

Totally agree with you on that one.

Perce P. Cassidy 03-24-2005 07:29 PM

Re: Firefox Receives Another Security Update

It was on Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:03:09 +0000, that Martin Harran contributed:

> "Old Gringo" <oldgringo747-noworkie-jet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:3BA0e.3089$yq2.1985@newssvr12.news.prodigy.co m...
>> http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)

> And I'd say expect more as Firefox becomes more and more popular and the
> dickheads focus on it more.

Not very likely.

"On Tuesday, Mozilla president Mitchell Baker predicted that Firefox won't
suffer nearly as many security flaws as Internet Explorer and that the
increasing popularity of the open-source browser won't change that."

"..only seven of the flaws in Firefox were considered "highly severe,"
compared with nine in Internet Explorer."
- Security technology provider Symantec -

> People forget that a big part of the reason that IE has had so many
> vulnerabilities exposed is that being the dominant browser, it is the
> obvious target for the dickheads.

That is just another myth. Most of the things that are being fixed in
FireFox are /potential/ exploits, which NO one has yet figured out how to
use.
- Mozilla's Chris Hofmann -

Graham P. Filderson 03-24-2005 07:32 PM

Re: Firefox Receives Another Security Update

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:59:11 GMT, Old Gringo
<oldgringo747-noworkie-jet@yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)

Thanks

Old Gringo 03-24-2005 07:51 PM

Graham P. Filderson wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:59:11 GMT, Old Gringo
> <oldgringo747-noworkie-jet@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)

> Thanks

Good way to get the word out here, and you are welcome.

Martin Harran 03-24-2005 09:29 PM

"Perce P. Cassidy" <ballmer@my.rooted.ass> wrote in message
> It was on Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:03:09 +0000, that Martin Harran contributed:
>

>> "Old Gringo" <oldgringo747-noworkie-jet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:3BA0e.3089$yq2.1985@newssvr12.news.prodigy.co m...
>>> http://tinyurl.com/4ew7e (update info.)

>> And I'd say expect more as Firefox becomes more and more popular and the
>> dickheads focus on it more.

> Not very likely.

Are you a betting man ?

123 03-25-2005 04:23 AM

Martin Harran wrote:

> People forget that a big part of the reason that IE has had so many
> vulnerabilities exposed is that being the dominant browser, it is the
> obvious target for the dickheads.

False. IE has "zones" that can be disabled whereas Firefox doesn't.
IE uses ActiveX whereas Firefox doesn't. That's two examples of why
IE is targetted more whereas Firefox isn't -- there's simply nothing
in Firefox that can be disabled ("zones") or exploited (ActiveX).

Further, it's been shown that the popularity of something doesn't
always make it a target -- Apache (non-Microsoft) is more popular
and widespread than Microsoft's IIS, but IIS has way more security
holes than Apache (source: http://tinyurl.com/6hx38).

elaich 03-25-2005 06:05 AM

Re: Firefox Receives Another Security Update

"Martin Harran" <nospam@martinharran.com> wrote in

> People forget that a big part of the reason that IE has had so many
> vulnerabilities exposed is that being the dominant browser, it is the
> obvious target for the dickheads.

That's the old Microsoft line. I say it's totally bogus.

There are "dickheads" working just as hard to exploit Firefox, as well as
Linux, because of the challenge and the notoriety they would receive in the
hackers realm if they managed to exploit them.

The fact is that the code is inherently more secure. This latest Firefox
exploit was found in the "legacy" code - that is, the old Netscape/Mozilla
code that predates Firefox. That's roughly similar to an IE exploit being
caused by some old leftover Mosaic code that's buried deep inside.

And, as usual, they fixed it immediately. Microsoft would be hemming and
hawing around over it, trying to decide if it's worth a patch, and trying
to figure out if they could wait and include it in the next Service Pack.