Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem with Outlook 2003 - Need Help (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t220583-problem-with-outlook-2003-need-help.html)

Sidney Friedman 03-20-2005 07:57 PM

Problem with Outlook 2003 - Need Help

When trying to open up links received in Email in Outlook 2003 I recently
started getting the following message:

"The program must close to allow a previous installation
attempt to complete. Please restart"

1. I've restarted Outlook but still have the same problem
2. I've restarted my O.S. (XP Pro) but still have the same problem
3. I'm not aware of any incomplete installations
4. I've run various anti-virus, spyware programs without finding a cause
5. I've deleted all cookies and temp/tmp files and emptied my cache; still
have the same problem

I've tried running Outlook Express and have the same problem. Could this be
an operating system problem? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Frankin 03-20-2005 08:11 PM

Re: Problem with Outlook 2003 - Need Help

Hi,
Go to the office update page and install the updates. See if that helps.
just a thought.

Scraggy 03-20-2005 08:16 PM

Sidney Friedman wrote:
> When trying to open up links received in Email in Outlook 2003 I
> recently started getting the following message:
>
> "The program must close to allow a previous
> installation attempt to complete. Please restart"
>
> 1. I've restarted Outlook but still have the same problem
> 2. I've restarted my O.S. (XP Pro) but still have the same problem
> 3. I'm not aware of any incomplete installations
> 4. I've run various anti-virus, spyware programs without finding a
> cause
> 5. I've deleted all cookies and temp/tmp files and emptied my cache;
> still have the same problem
>
> I've tried running Outlook Express and have the same problem. Could
> this be an operating system problem? Any suggestions will be
> appreciated.

1.Is it fully updated? Help>Check for Updates
2.Have a look in Help>About>Disabled items anything there?
3.Use Help> Detect & Repair option?
--
I told his psychiatrist that everyone hates him. He said I was being
ridiculous - everyone hasn't met him yet. Rodney Dangerfield

Sidney Friedman 03-23-2005 09:54 PM

Re: Problem with Outlook 2003 - Need Help

Thanks for your reply "Scraggy".

I've tried to update but get the same error message. I've tried to access
Microsoft (online) help and get the same erroror message.
I've also "repaired" and reinstalled Office 2003 but still have the same
problem. I've even "Restored" my computer to a date well before this
problem started and this didn't work either. Any other good Ideas?

JANA 03-25-2005 11:52 PM

Re: Problem with Outlook 2003 - Need Help

I am wondering if you had a pervious version of Outlook installed, and you
did not uninstall it before doing a new full installation of Outlook.

It is important to uninstall previous software's if the new addition is a
full installation, and not a simple update.

You may have to uninstall the version you have, re-install the older
version, un-install the older version, and then re-install the new one
again. This is to make sure that the old version was properly cleaned out.

The cleanup can be done manually, but this involved going deep in to the
many
entries in the registry, and searching out for many files in various areas
on the hard disk. It is not a simple task to do this manually.

--

JANA
_____

news:3Bk%d.12272$DW.1587@newssvr17.news.prodigy.co m...