Velocity Reviews

-   -   Does anyone use Panda AV Platinum 7.0? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t220311-does-anyone-use-panda-av-platinum-7-0-a.html)

Julie P. 03-16-2005 06:00 AM

Does anyone use Panda AV Platinum 7.0?

I just signed up with Panda and installed Panda AV Platinum 7.06.01.

The problem is I cannot do a full system scan. After it gets done scanning
"files", when it gets to the "documents" part, it pauses and a pop-up window
asks me to configure Microsoft Outlook, but I do not use that, so I click
cancel. Then it starts to scan again, but suddenly stops after about 5
seconds, and the scan window suddenly closes!

Then when I try to do a scan of just Outlook Express, it stops after about 5
seconds too!

The main screen says I have never completed a full system scan and I should
do it, even though I have tried to do this three times now!

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, with no luck.

Any ideas?

It's also refusing to update with new definitions. Panda's knowledge base
seems to say this error is actually a lie, and the server is just busy. But
it kept on checking for updates every 5 minutes and getting the error, so I
finally just turned off automatic updates.

Thanks!

Julie

Jerry G. 03-16-2005 07:03 AM

Re: Does anyone use Panda AV Platinum 7.0?

Why did you go with Panda, when there are some very well known big names out
there?

You should be asking the Panda support these questions. It sounds like there
is a misconfiguration or they have a serious bug.

--

Jerry G.
======

Julie P. 03-16-2005 08:58 AM

"Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why did you go with Panda, when there are some very well known big names
> out
> there?

Thanks Jerry. Because Panda is the number 2 rated AV program out there,
second to only Kaspersky:

http://www.software-antivirus.com/pr...us-review.html

J.

Avengerę 03-16-2005 11:15 AM

Re: Does anyone use Panda AV Platinum 7.0?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 03:58:34 -0500, "Julie P."
<jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Why did you go with Panda, when there are some very well known big names
>> out
>> there?
>>

>Thanks Jerry. Because Panda is the number 2 rated AV program out there,
>second to only Kaspersky:

Ahhh, I would think that NOD32 would be closer to the mark of a better
A/V than Panda.
--
Avengerę
I *HATE* Spam

Julie P. 03-16-2005 11:49 AM

"Avengerę" <shitfight@okay.coral> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 03:58:34 -0500, "Julie P."
> <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Why did you go with Panda, when there are some very well known big names
>>> out
>>> there?
>>>

>>Thanks Jerry. Because Panda is the number 2 rated AV program out there,
>>second to only Kaspersky:

> Ahhh, I would think that NOD32 would be closer to the mark of a better
> A/V than Panda.

NOD32 was ranked 9th in this study:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...e/report01.pdf

Avengerę 03-16-2005 12:45 PM

Re: Does anyone use Panda AV Platinum 7.0?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:49:22 -0500, "Julie P."
<jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Avengerę" <shitfight@okay.coral> wrote in message
>news:mc5g31d1icfl0udjg9qa3orpua4i38m339@4ax.com.. .
>> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 03:58:34 -0500, "Julie P."
>> <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>>Thanks Jerry. Because Panda is the number 2 rated AV program out there,
>>>second to only Kaspersky:

>> Ahhh, I would think that NOD32 would be closer to the mark of a better
>> A/V than Panda.
>>

>NOD32 was ranked 9th in this study:
>
>http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...e/report01.pdf

Hmmm, well check this page:
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archiv....xml?panda.xml

Then this page:
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archiv...s.xml?eset.xml

I know which one I'll use!!!
--
Avengerę
I *HATE* Spam

Nick 03-16-2005 09:04 PM

Re: Does anyone use Panda AV Platinum 7.0?

Dont understand the full system scan problem. The automatic update is a bit
strange sometimes...it doesnt work for a couple of days then its ok -
especially on Sundays for some weird reason!

Try uninstalling (make sure you know your passwords etc) and installing from
the website - I've had to do this once on three different computers with a
new install of Panda and they've been fine since.

Julie P. 03-17-2005 12:43 AM

"Nick" <nick@jimdigriz6.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dont understand the full system scan problem. The automatic update is a
> bit strange sometimes...it doesnt work for a couple of days then its ok -
> especially on Sundays for some weird reason!
>
> Try uninstalling (make sure you know your passwords etc) and installing
> from the website - I've had to do this once on three different computers
> with a new install of Panda and they've been fine since.

Thanks Nick. I actually did install it from the website two different times,
and clicked "Run" instead of "Save" when doing the download. It is the free
three-month trial version.

I also contacted customer support, and it has been 24 hours, and no response
yet! I wish they had forums like AVG, my old AV program.

Another problem is I could not use my FTP program because of the Panda
firewall. Even when I added to the exceptions list! But once I disabled the
Panda firewall, it worked fine!

So far I am not pleased with Panda. :(

J.

Julie P. 03-17-2005 12:43 AM

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:49:22 -0500, "Julie P."
> <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Avengerę" <shitfight@okay.coral> wrote in message
>>news:mc5g31d1icfl0udjg9qa3orpua4i38m339@4ax.com. ..

>>> Ahhh, I would think that NOD32 would be closer to the mark of a better
>>> A/V than Panda.
>>>

>>NOD32 was ranked 9th in this study:
>>
>>http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...e/report01.pdf
>>

> Hmmm, well check this page:
> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archiv....xml?panda.xml
>
> Then this page:
> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archiv...s.xml?eset.xml
>
> I know which one I'll use!!!

your're right Avenger! I will consider NOD.

J.

Julie P. 03-17-2005 12:57 AM

Re: Does anyone use Panda AV Platinum 7.0?

"Avengerę" <shitfight@okay.coral> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:49:22 -0500, "Julie P."
> <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Avengerę" <shitfight@okay.coral> wrote in message
>>news:mc5g31d1icfl0udjg9qa3orpua4i38m339@4ax.com. ..

>>> Ahhh, I would think that NOD32 would be closer to the mark of a better
>>> A/V than Panda.
>>>

>>NOD32 was ranked 9th in this study:
>>
>>http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...e/report01.pdf
>>

> Hmmm, well check this page:
> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archiv....xml?panda.xml
>
> Then this page:
> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archiv...s.xml?eset.xml
>
> I know which one I'll use!!!

Hi Avenger, I found this on another ng about NOD32. It has a clumsy
interface:

"> Thanks for replying. I tried Nod32 years ago and couldn't stand
> having to deal with 3 interfaces (all running in the system tray).
> Has this improved?

Yes. Version 2.x has eliminated any need for the separate interfaces
(no more separate POP3 scanner setup, etc.).

Almost four years ago, when I chose nod32 over several others
(including Panda, for which I still had a full year of support paid
for at the time), I found it better than the others in spite of the
rather clumsy v1 interface. Now, with v2, it is even better still,
in my opinion."