Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need to "shred" hardive..need software. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t220105-need-to-shred-hardive-need-software.html)

Xeno Chauvin 03-12-2005 09:48 PM

Need to "shred" hardive..need software.

Have several hard drives I need to over write to get
data off. Have tried a google but not much there under "shredder".
Are overwrite programs known by another name?
Once had a program from some company (infraworks?) in
Austin Texas but can't seem to find them either.
Suggestions for programs or how to search.
Thanks
Xeno

Toolman Tim 03-12-2005 09:50 PM

Re: Need to "shred" hardive..need software.

"Xeno Chauvin" <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> Have several hard drives I need to over write to get
> data off. Have tried a google but not much there under "shredder".
> Are overwrite programs known by another name?
> Once had a program from some company (infraworks?) in
> Austin Texas but can't seem to find them either.
> Suggestions for programs or how to search.
> Thanks
> Xeno

Search for "wipedisk" or "wipedisk.exe"

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 03-12-2005 09:55 PM

Xeno Chauvin wrote:

> Have several hard drives I need to over write to get
> data off. Have tried a google but not much there under "shredder".
> Are overwrite programs known by another name?
> Once had a program from some company (infraworks?) in
> Austin Texas but can't seem to find them either.
> Suggestions for programs or how to search.

Boot N Nuke (DBAN is part of the National Nuclear Security
Administration suite of security tools)
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Autoclave works well too, but is no longer supported (not that it
matters much).

Plato 03-12-2005 10:14 PM

Xeno Chauvin wrote:

> Have several hard drives I need to over write to get
> data off. Have tried a google but not much there under "shredder".
> Are overwrite programs known by another name?

Search for ZERO fill utilties. Brings the HDD back to factory defaults.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Chiron Paixos 03-13-2005 01:26 PM

Re: Need to "shred" hardive..need software.

Just to name a few nice ones:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
--
Never give up the fight for freedom - a fight which, though it may never end, is the most ennobling known to man. (R. Reagan)