Velocity Reviews

-   -   WinXP Pro: Sharing permission questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t219827-winxp-pro-sharing-permission-questions.html)

Daniel 03-08-2005 12:42 AM

WinXP Pro: Sharing permission questions

I've been using XP Pro for a while now (2yrs) but still don't understand
their sharing permissions (appears like they tried to make it too user
friendly & made it too complicated to find what you're looking for....like a
company who tries to say they're improving the customer experience by giving
you an IVR that doesn't provide what you need & wont let you to a live rep).

How do I share folders & give password level access of read only with one
password or full with another? I see a bunch of nonsense of allowing
certain systems to have access & others not, or access based on domain
(which is REALLY HORRIBLE in explaining itself). I saw something about
letting you give access to certain rights but not others (read, create,
modify, delete, move, those kind of things).

Any good tips on sharing (over a network) with WinXP? Or even how to
understand what they're talking about? Too many guides are just either
advertisements that let you know it may be possible, or information that is
only helpful to someone who already knows about it & therefore has no need
to be reading it anyway.

There are 10 types of people in this world...
....those who understand binary & those who don't.

Rob K 03-08-2005 01:15 AM

Re: WinXP Pro: Sharing permission questions

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:07:02 -0600, Daniel wrote:

<snip>

> I'm not sure what you're saying....

You should be, you're being trolled.
Hint: irrelevant cross-posting.

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13
vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy.

owldo @ PAX 03-08-2005 01:25 AM

Re: WinXP Pro: Sharing permission questions

Sharing comes more into play when used on a Network. Over a LAN when using
Active Directory with individual passwords. Administrators can grant sharing
or security level access to Users, Groups, or Individuals, to files,
folders, documents, apps, programs, even specific computers etc. For me
Network Security Protocol is one of the hardest things to understand. If you
are not exsposed to it constantly it's tough to learn. It is not something
that is easily explained, and the home user really dosen't need all these
features. There are a lot of aspects of XP Pro that are geared towards
Networking, and all apps for it are exsposed to you wheather you need it or
not.
--
owldo@(trash)hotmail.com
Take out the trash to reply!

Daniel 03-08-2005 09:22 PM

"owldo @ PAX" <owldo@(trash)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sharing comes more into play when used on a Network. Over a LAN when using
> Active Directory with individual passwords. Administrators can grant

sharing
> or security level access to Users, Groups, or Individuals, to files,
> folders, documents, apps, programs, even specific computers etc. For me
> Network Security Protocol is one of the hardest things to understand. If

you
> are not exsposed to it constantly it's tough to learn. It is not something
> that is easily explained, and the home user really dosen't need all these
> features. There are a lot of aspects of XP Pro that are geared towards
> Networking, and all apps for it are exsposed to you wheather you need it

or
> not.
> --

Can you provide any more info about it (& I can try to understand & learn
it) or at least some GOOD tutorials/documentation/instructions on it that
isn't geared towards people who know enough to not need to read it anyways
while at the same time does explain the information I'd like to learn? I do
have a small LAN (currently with my multiple systems & my sister who lives
here too & another friend of mine that has a system here, makes 5-6 systems,
not all running XP though, but XP systems are Pro). I'd like to allow
myself on my other systems to have access, & restrict access to certain
folders to certain others & give types of permission to some & types to
others...let one read & add, but let another only read, while another has
full, and that's a per person/profile even if they have profiles on more
than 1 system.

Example:
UserA has permission to read only from any system (though may only have
access to system E).
UserB has read & add permissions (on systems A, B, C, & D).
UserC (systems A-E) has full access.
All are residential profiles, not pulling them from a server (like a
business), here the "server" is a cable modem router.

owldo @ PAX 03-09-2005 12:10 AM

Re: WinXP Pro: Sharing permission questions

Here are some links that I found, be very careful when applying settings.
Read all information thoroughly and make sure you understand it before you
proceed! Good Luck!

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xpperm/xpPerm1.htm

http://search.microsoft.com/search/r...in+Windows+XP+

Daniel 03-11-2005 06:52 AM

> Here are some links that I found, be very careful when applying settings.
> Read all information thoroughly and make sure you understand it before you
> proceed! Good Luck!
>
> http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xpperm/xpPerm1.htm

http://search.microsoft.com/search/r...w=en-us&qu=Des
cription+of+File+Sharing+and+Permissions+in+Window s+XP+

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../filesharing.m
spx

Thanks for the links....not had a chance to read them yet (may print them &
take them to work Saturday, which I often have time to read this kind of
stuff) but I'm sure it will be pretty helpful at least strongly assisting in
what I need.