Velocity Reviews

-   -   Deleting Registry Keys (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t219270-deleting-registry-keys.html)

Buckwheat 02-27-2005 08:01 PM

Deleting Registry Keys

About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was wreaking
havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus removal
tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after running
Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the infection
remaining on my machine.

The file path is:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4

I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
wondering if I
can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it with
something else?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 02-27-2005 08:09 PM

Re: Deleting Registry Keys

Buckwheat wrote:
> About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was wreaking
> havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus removal
> tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after running
> Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the infection
> remaining on my machine.
>
> The file path is:
>
> HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
> indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
>
> I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
> wondering if I
> can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it with
> something else?

I'd back up the registry and delete that part. I assume that you've
gotten rid of the .com file itself?

127.0.0.1 02-27-2005 09:40 PM

Re: Deleting Registry Keys

"Buckwheat" <bucktheduck2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was
> wreaking
> havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus removal
> tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after
> running
> Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the infection
> remaining on my machine.
>
> The file path is:
>
> HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
> indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
>
> I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
> wondering if I
> can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it with
> something else?

delete it...

in most cases, deleting non essentials will reset it to default registry
settings

just don't delete the hive...

-a|ex

THEOLDONE 02-27-2005 10:18 PM

Deleting Registry Keys

This should help

http://home.comcast.net/~entreken/regedit.html

<snip>

philo 02-27-2005 10:19 PM

Re: Deleting Registry Keys

"Buckwheat" <bucktheduck2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was

wreaking
> havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus removal
> tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after

running
> Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the infection
> remaining on my machine.
>
> The file path is:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
> indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
>
> I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
> wondering if I
> can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it with
> something else?

although editing the registry can be dangerous
that xxxtoolbar entry is one you can just plain delete

Vanguard 02-28-2005 12:48 AM

Re: Deleting Registry Keys

"Buckwheat" <bucktheduck2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was
> wreaking
> havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus
> removal
> tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after
> running
> Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the
> infection
> remaining on my machine.
>
> The file path is:
>
> HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
> indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
>
> I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
> wondering if I
> can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it
> with
> something else?

You sure you didn't use Spybot or SpywareBlaster to add domains to your
Restricted Sites security zone? I use both of those utilities.
SpywareBlaster lets you add its long list of "bad" sites into the
Restricted Sites security zone. Spybot has its Immunize feature that
does the same thing. A value of 4 means that domain is in the
Restricted Sites security zone.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 02-28-2005 02:22 AM

Re: Deleting Registry Keys

Vanguard wrote:
> "Buckwheat" <bucktheduck2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was
>> wreaking
>> havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus removal
>> tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after
>> running
>> Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the infection
>> remaining on my machine.
>>
>> The file path is:
>>
>> HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
>>
>> indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
>> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
>>
>> I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
>> wondering if I
>> can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it
>> with
>> something else?
>>

> You sure you didn't use Spybot or SpywareBlaster to add domains to your
> Restricted Sites security zone? I use both of those utilities.
> SpywareBlaster lets you add its long list of "bad" sites into the
> Restricted Sites security zone. Spybot has its Immunize feature that
> does the same thing. A value of 4 means that domain is in the
> Restricted Sites security zone.

I wondered about that too, but my registry entries from Spybot have a
different syntax, so maybe it was SWB.

Buckwheat 02-28-2005 12:12 PM

Re: Deleting Registry Keys

"Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> "Buckwheat" <bucktheduck2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was
> > wreaking
> > havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus
> > removal
> > tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after
> > running
> > Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the
> > infection
> > remaining on my machine.
> >
> > The file path is:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
> > indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> > Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
> >
> > I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
> > wondering if I
> > can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it
> > with
> > something else?
> >

> You sure you didn't use Spybot or SpywareBlaster to add domains to your
> Restricted Sites security zone? I use both of those utilities.
> SpywareBlaster lets you add its long list of "bad" sites into the
> Restricted Sites security zone. Spybot has its Immunize feature that
> does the same thing. A value of 4 means that domain is in the
> Restricted Sites security zone.

I don't know.
FWIW,when I open this key from regedit there are probably a couple hundred
websites listed beneath this key.
Is that what you mean?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 03-02-2005 03:59 AM

Re: Deleting Registry Keys

Buckwheat wrote:
> "Vanguard" <use_ReplyTo@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>>You sure you didn't use Spybot or SpywareBlaster to add domains to your
>>Restricted Sites security zone? I use both of those utilities.
>>SpywareBlaster lets you add its long list of "bad" sites into the
>>Restricted Sites security zone. Spybot has its Immunize feature that
>>does the same thing. A value of 4 means that domain is in the
>>Restricted Sites security zone.
>>

> I don't know.
> FWIW,when I open this key from regedit there are probably a couple hundred
> websites listed beneath this key.
> Is that what you mean?

The first time I went through a customer's registry and found a list a
mile long of some of the shittiest looking web addresses, I thought what
a creepy life they must have. Later I realized that it was just known
bad domains getting restricted by a good anti-spyware. Sounds like what
you have there.