Velocity Reviews

-   -   IE 6 character encoding persistently wrong (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t218908-ie-6-character-encoding-persistently-wrong.html)

Maria 02-22-2005 08:34 PM

IE 6 character encoding persistently wrong

Using W98SE, IE6 SP1

Character encoding goes wrong all the time, choosing wrong character sets,
losing special characters like and and etc. plus showing red-x's instead
of pics.

Setting ENCODING to automatic or fixed does not help; encoding will change to
wrong
character set.

Re-installed and repaired IE6 SP1.

On my laptop with identical software all goes well.

Any suggestions how to cure?

Is there a smart setting somewhere overriding the proper behaviour, causing the
problem?

Maria

why? 02-22-2005 09:38 PM

Re: IE 6 character encoding persistently wrong

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:34:04 +0100, Maria wrote:

>Using W98SE, IE6 SP1
>
>Character encoding goes wrong all the time, choosing wrong character sets,

All pages using speial characters or only a specific site?

>losing special characters like and and etc. plus showing red-x's instead

Little Red X issues have been covered before in 24hshd, try searching
old posts.

Look at some of these
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...=2005&safe=off
as that's just a bit long , the shorter version is
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2DC2498A

>of pics.
>
>Setting ENCODING to automatic or fixed does not help; encoding will change to

Which fixed option?

>wrong
>character set.
>
>Re-installed and repaired IE6 SP1.
>
>On my laptop with identical software all goes well.

Does the View / Encoding list look the same?

>Any suggestions how to cure?
>
>Is there a smart setting somewhere overriding the proper behaviour, causing the
>problem?

Most of the time it's the webpage author not correctly specifying
character encoding and entity's.

Some times looking at the source of the page can gives clues.

I was having a look at this yesterday after a similar question.

You could try setting fonts for each language.

(Using , English UK Windows 2000 setup, in case menus are different)

Tools / Options / General / Fonts pick each language and set the font.

You may have to find a suitable font and download it.

As you say the other system is okay, still compare settings and
installed fonts on each system.

Here is a test page,
http://www.unicode.org/iuc/iuc10/x-utf8.html
to show UTF-8 working.