Velocity Reviews

-   -   Most cost efficient printer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t218323-most-cost-efficient-printer.html)

Pundit 02-13-2005 02:30 AM

Most cost efficient printer

Any ideas ?

Toolman Tim 02-14-2005 02:45 AM

Re: Most cost efficient printer

"Pundit" <pundit@mail.com> wrote in message
news:6vOdndZOeelHkY3fRVn-gQ@rogers.com...
Any ideas ?

Several. First idea is DON'T post in HTML. That'll make a few people pretty
grumpy around here....(TINH)

Second, laser printers are the best bet for good output, lowest cost. But
that's B/W technology.

Third, when it comes to color, resolution and features are usually more
important than cost. But if cost is a primary factor, look for printers that
have ink tanks instead of cartridges. The difference is this: a cartridge
has the printhead embedded in it. When you replace the cartridge, you get a
new printhead, but they're more expensive. An 'ink tank' type of refill is
just that - the printer has a built-in print head, with tanks that are ink
only, so they cost less. Epson and Canon come to mind first as the ink tank
type, but not all models are like that. Canon, for instance, made some in
the past with a removable cartridge WITH ink tanks. You run low on black,
put in a new black tank. You run low on color, put in a new color tank. When
the printhead becomes clogged, or wears out (they all do eventually) you can
replace it. On Epsons, the printhead is built in and requires a repair
facility to change that.

At work, we use Epsons and HPs for the color printers, Lexmark and HPs for
the lasers.

Other than those tips, I'd be the last to suggest specific brands or models.

Toolman Tim 02-14-2005 02:47 AM

Re: Most cost efficient printer

"Pundit" <pundit@mail.com> wrote in message
Any ideas ?

Oh - one other thing...fix your clock - you're living in the past <g>

Ralph Wade Phillips 02-15-2005 12:47 AM

Re: Most cost efficient printer

Howdy!

"Pundit" <pundit@mail.com> wrote in message
Any ideas ?

Several. Don't post in HTML. What kind of printed output do you
need?

One of my customers is constantly checking - and currently, the
total cost per page for a laser printer is the Oki 4350.

RwP