Velocity Reviews

-   -   Toshiba laptop/notebook - no sound at all (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t217946-toshiba-laptop-notebook-no-sound-at-all.html)

frankg 02-09-2005 12:56 AM

Toshiba laptop/notebook - no sound at all

xp pro
toshiba satelitte

No sound at all - not even windows system sounds.
Cant play audio cd's.
The mute checkbox and volume slider are greyed out.
The device manager> sound,video, game controllers list> seems to be ok (no
exclamations).
All say 'device working properly'.
It's like theres no sound card installed.
I ran Aida 32 (personal) and the Sound was identified as Intel bla, bla, bla
audio controller.
I assume this is a sound chip integrated on the motherboard.
The laptop has built in speakers.
Windows Updates>custom>hardware updates >didn't reveal anything.

The only thing I can think of is to go to Toshiba support and look for a
Sound driver and run it. Maybe it got corrupted ?
Any other suggestions to try?

Toolman Tim 02-09-2005 01:24 AM

Re: Toshiba laptop/notebook - no sound at all

"frankg" <sorry@stoppingspam.com> wrote in message
news:wcdOd.3314$504.470309@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
| xp pro
| toshiba satelitte
|
| No sound at all - not even windows system sounds.
| Cant play audio cd's.
| The mute checkbox and volume slider are greyed out.
| The device manager> sound,video, game controllers list> seems to be ok (no
| exclamations).
| All say 'device working properly'.
| It's like theres no sound card installed.
| I ran Aida 32 (personal) and the Sound was identified as Intel bla, bla,
bla
| audio controller.
| I assume this is a sound chip integrated on the motherboard.
| The laptop has built in speakers.
| Windows Updates>custom>hardware updates >didn't reveal anything.
|
| The only thing I can think of is to go to Toshiba support and look for a
| Sound driver and run it. Maybe it got corrupted ?
| Any other suggestions to try?

How about hotkeys on the keyboard? My Dell has a "Fn" key...if I press that,
and "End", the sound is totally turned off.

frankg 02-09-2005 02:13 AM

====================================
> How about hotkeys on the keyboard? My Dell has a "Fn" key...if I press

that,
> and "End", the sound is totally turned off.

=====================================
Really, the sound is permanently turned off - and the volume control greyed
out etc. ?
Control Panel>Sounds and audio devices> all greyed out?

If so, I wonder which keys are the same on a Toshiba.
I'm asking here on behalf of a friend who is less knowledgeable than
myself - it's not actually my laptop/notebook.

Toolman Tim 02-09-2005 03:31 AM

news:WkeOd.3354$504.483995@news20.bellglobal.com.. .

| > | xp pro
| > | toshiba satelitte
| > |
| > | No sound at all - not even windows system sounds.
| > | Cant play audio cd's.
| > | The mute checkbox and volume slider are greyed out.
| > | The device manager> sound,video, game controllers list> seems to be ok
| (no
| > | exclamations).
| > | All say 'device working properly'.
| > | It's like theres no sound card installed.
| > | I ran Aida 32 (personal) and the Sound was identified as Intel bla,
bla,
| > bla
| > | audio controller.
| > | I assume this is a sound chip integrated on the motherboard.
| > | The laptop has built in speakers.
| > | Windows Updates>custom>hardware updates >didn't reveal anything.
| > |
| > | The only thing I can think of is to go to Toshiba support and look for
| > | Sound driver and run it. Maybe it got corrupted ?
| > | Any other suggestions to try?
| ====================================
| > How about hotkeys on the keyboard? My Dell has a "Fn" key...if I press
| that,
| > and "End", the sound is totally turned off.
| =====================================
| Really, the sound is permanently turned off - and the volume control
greyed
| out etc. ?
| Control Panel>Sounds and audio devices> all greyed out?
|
| If so, I wonder which keys are the same on a Toshiba.
| I'm asking here on behalf of a friend who is less knowledgeable than
| myself - it's not actually my laptop/notebook.

On my Dell the keys are marked - either symbols or words - speakers for
sound, "suspend", "LCD/CRT", etc. for all the different Fn options.

When I do the Fn/Speaker off, the volume control only goes to "mute", it
doesn't totally disable them...so that may not be the issue.

My next suggestion is to go to the Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices.
Check the Audio tab to see if the correct devices are selected as default.

Toolman Tim 02-09-2005 03:31 AM

Re: Toshiba laptop/notebook - no sound at all

"frankg" <sorry@stoppingspam.com> wrote in message
news:WkeOd.3354$504.483995@news20.bellglobal.com.. .

| > | xp pro
| > | toshiba satelitte
| > |

Gumby 10-25-2006 07:55 PM

This is responding to an old post, but this is for others who encountered the same problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite XP A75 notebook that had the exact same symptoms. The volume control was greyed out, but the OS thought the audio device was working properly. This happened after I did a virus scan and cleaned up some malware. It seems that the RealTek driver installer program alcupd.exe was infected and refused to work correctly or be overwritten by reinstalling the device drivers. The installer would always crash 80% thru. My solution was to remove file alcupd.exe (or rename it) then reinstall the drivers. My sound works fine now. Hope this saves someone grief. Good luck.

Bob in NC 04-16-2010 01:57 AM

Toshiba Laptop Audio Service Not Running

This fixed my problem on a Toshiba A215-S7416 Laptop:

Start>Run services.msc
Find Windows Audio
If it is started, then I don't know what to tell you
If it is not started, do the following
Right click and select properties
Click Dependencies Tab
Note the list "This service depends on the following system components"
Click OK and find those components in the list and see if they are started.
If they are not, then right click and select start.
Now return to Windows Audio and right click and select start

rangel_4u 02-22-2011 12:15 PM

hello there

I had TOSHIBA SATELLITE U305 and it seem to had problems with sound
it happens many times to lost sound suddenlly-no audio is installed
so finnally i found a solution - the problem is not with drives
i just open my laptop and found where isa sound card and i discovered that its seem to have bad connection with mainboard
just in case you check all the connecctions and the problem is solved
The sound card is sittuated near the jack for headphones
This is the way to check the problem - don't waste you time to discharge you sound , reinstall drivers , go back to previous points and so..
good luck
R K

nikki.marks 03-10-2012 10:16 PM

I have lost my sound twice. I have my Toshiba laptop for about two years and it only recently started happening. I caledl tech support, what a waste of time. I fixed it by doing a system restore to the last time I remember having sound. I almost want to say it has something to do with updates; firefox and windows. I am not sure. I will investigate the hotkey angle though. Thanks.