Velocity Reviews

Rustiferion 02-05-2005 03:16 AM

I have been loading WinXP Home onto a brand-new HD from original Dell OEM
disks, and it's all gone fairly well - considering - except for one thing:
it can't "find" any of the drivers I've tried to install, even though the
path to the driver is given (and it's on the hard drive). I mean, none of
them. I get the same message for all: "Device not installed. Can't find
drivers." The ONLY one that installed was (thank goodness) the NIC driver
for the ethernet card, and only because it came with its own executable
installer.

What's wrong here? I don't remember having this problem with the other
machines on my LAN. Is there a workaround? Can I find where they are
supposed to go and manually copy them over, or something? I can't even
install the USB 2.0 driver so I can access my backup drive!

Dell 4550
512 RAM
200 GB Seagate HD
P4 266Mhz
Win XP Home (now SP2)

~Rusty

Toolman Tim 02-05-2005 03:19 AM

Re: Loading drivers in WXP

"Rustiferion" <no.reply@all.com> wrote in message
|I have been loading WinXP Home onto a brand-new HD from original Dell OEM
| disks, and it's all gone fairly well - considering - except for one thing:
| it can't "find" any of the drivers I've tried to install, even though the
| path to the driver is given (and it's on the hard drive). I mean, none of
| them. I get the same message for all: "Device not installed. Can't find
| drivers." The ONLY one that installed was (thank goodness) the NIC driver
| for the ethernet card, and only because it came with its own executable
| installer.
|
| What's wrong here? I don't remember having this problem with the other
| machines on my LAN. Is there a workaround? Can I find where they are
| supposed to go and manually copy them over, or something? I can't even
| install the USB 2.0 driver so I can access my backup drive!
|
| Dell 4550
| 512 RAM
| 200 GB Seagate HD
| P4 266Mhz
| Win XP Home (now SP2)
|
| ~Rusty

Do you have the Dell Drivers CD? It has what you need. Blue disc...wrapped
in plastic. The XP drivers do not include some of the newer hardware.

Rustiferion 02-05-2005 06:51 AM

Re: Loading drivers in WXP

"Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message

> "Rustiferion" <no.reply@all.com> wrote in message
> |I have been loading WinXP Home onto a brand-new HD from original Dell OEM
> | disks, and it's all gone fairly well - considering - except for one
> thing:
> | it can't "find" any of the drivers I've tried to install, even though
> the
> | path to the driver is given (and it's on the hard drive). I mean, none
> of
> | them. I get the same message for all: "Device not installed. Can't
> find
> | drivers." The ONLY one that installed was (thank goodness) the NIC
> driver
> | for the ethernet card, and only because it came with its own executable
> | installer.
> |
> | What's wrong here? I don't remember having this problem with the other
> | machines on my LAN. Is there a workaround? Can I find where they are
> | supposed to go and manually copy them over, or something? I can't even
> | install the USB 2.0 driver so I can access my backup drive!
> |
> | Dell 4550
> | 512 RAM
> | 200 GB Seagate HD
> | P4 266Mhz
> | Win XP Home (now SP2)
> |
> | ~Rusty
> |
> Do you have the Dell Drivers CD? It has what you need. Blue disc...wrapped
> in plastic. The XP drivers do not include some of the newer hardware.

That's where most of the drivers came from, (not that they are particularly
current, judging from the fact that the "Recovery" disk wasn't even SP1)
and they all unzipped to arcane-sounding folders like
"\dell\drivers\R40562", but I carefully kept track of which device drivers
went into which folders, and typed that into the "Include this folder in the
search" dialogue box. Still can't "find" them... (not me, I mean the New
Hardware Wizard...)

~Rusty

Toolman Tim 02-05-2005 04:19 PM

Re: Loading drivers in WXP

| "Toolman Tim" <no.spam.for.tcm@my.email.is.invalid> wrote in message
| >
| > "Rustiferion" <no.reply@all.com> wrote in message
| > |I have been loading WinXP Home onto a brand-new HD from original Dell
OEM
| > | disks, and it's all gone fairly well - considering - except for one
| > thing:
| > | it can't "find" any of the drivers I've tried to install, even though
| > the
| > | path to the driver is given (and it's on the hard drive). I mean,
none
| > of
| > | them. I get the same message for all: "Device not installed. Can't
| > find
| > | drivers." The ONLY one that installed was (thank goodness) the NIC
| > driver
| > | for the ethernet card, and only because it came with its own
executable
| > | installer.
| > |
| > | What's wrong here? I don't remember having this problem with the other
| > | machines on my LAN. Is there a workaround? Can I find where they are
| > | supposed to go and manually copy them over, or something? I can't
even
| > | install the USB 2.0 driver so I can access my backup drive!
| > |
| > | Dell 4550
| > | 512 RAM
| > | 200 GB Seagate HD
| > | P4 266Mhz
| > | Win XP Home (now SP2)
| > |
| > | ~Rusty
| > |
| > Do you have the Dell Drivers CD? It has what you need. Blue
disc...wrapped
| > in plastic. The XP drivers do not include some of the newer hardware.
| >

| That's where most of the drivers came from, (not that they are
particularly
| current, judging from the fact that the "Recovery" disk wasn't even SP1)
| and they all unzipped to arcane-sounding folders like
| "\dell\drivers\R40562", but I carefully kept track of which device drivers
| went into which folders, and typed that into the "Include this folder in
the
| search" dialogue box. Still can't "find" them... (not me, I mean the New
| Hardware Wizard...)
|
| ~Rusty

I hate their folder names too. Here's what I do (I have about 30 misc. Dells
at work): When the program starts to unpack the drivers, it asks you if the
folder name it's planning on using is okay, I add "NIC" or "VIDEO" or
"SOUND" or something like that to the end of the folder name. Then when I
need to install that driver, I use the browse button in the New Hardware
Wizard to locate the folder I need.

Of course, Dell has done different methods too over the past few years, and
may have changed again with the model you have, and that method may not
work. If you aren't given the option to select the folder when it unpacks
it's drivers. In that case, it's more difficult, as it leaves you in the
exact situation you are in now.

Here's two possibilities:

1) Go to each dell\drivers\xxxxx folder, and see if there is an "Install" or
"Setup" program in them. If there is, run that program. It is quite possible
that Dell copied the drivers to the HD still packed (zipped, whatever) and
so your drivers are still buried in a setup file. Then the New Hardware
Wizard should be able to find what it needs.

2) Go to the Dell website, http://support.dell.com and set up an account
using your systems service tag ID number on the case. Their website will
have all the drivers - and probably the updates - which you can download and
install. And those *will* ask you what folder you want them put in when you
run the setup - so you *can* name the folders with 'human identifiable
names'.