Velocity Reviews

-   -   Printing problem from IE6/OE6 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t216639-printing-problem-from-ie6-oe6.html)

Trent SC 01-22-2005 01:26 AM

Printing problem from IE6/OE6

An odd situation has arisen with a colleague's PC - a fairly bog standard
Dell running XP Home (SP1 with all the updates, save SP2). It has an Epson
Colour Stylus 600 attached which prints quite happily from every program
except OE6 and IE6. I recall that the two programs used to use the same
printing engine and presume this is still the case, especially as OE has no
print setup options.
When I click on the print icon in either app, nothing happens, and clicking
on File > Print or File > Page Setup (in IE) also has no effect.
Interestingly, File > Print Preview in IE produces a preview window, but
without any contents, and it takes a great deal to get out of that and close
IE.
Also, I can see the version number of OE from Help > About, but the same
menu option in IE produces the standard window with a blank where the
version number should go. If it's relevant, OE is version 6.2800
IE5 used to have a repair option from inside Add/Remove Programs, but this
options appears to have gone walkabout in IE6.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should try to get this back
and working again? I'm loathe to dig around the registry to reset it so
that I can reinstall IE (fear of the registry), but if that's my only
option, I guess I'll have to. And my colleague is insistent that she wants
to stick to IE, so while she has the option of printing out from Opera,
which is working fine, she does still want IE & OE to be working.
Many thanks in advance.

Trent© 01-25-2005 01:25 AM

Re: Printing problem from IE6/OE6

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:26:10 -0000, "Trent SC" <trent@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>An odd situation has arisen with a colleague's PC - a fairly bog standard
>Dell running XP Home (SP1 with all the updates, save SP2). It has an Epson
>Colour Stylus 600 attached which prints quite happily from every program
>except OE6 and IE6. I recall that the two programs used to use the same
>printing engine and presume this is still the case, especially as OE has no
>print setup options.

You need to have the preview pane turned on...or a message opened...in
order to see the print options.

>When I click on the print icon in either app, nothing happens,

Do you have any programs running in the background that block opening
of a new window?

>Also, I can see the version number of OE from Help > About, but the same
>menu option in IE produces the standard window with a blank where the
>version number should go. If it's relevant, OE is version 6.2800

That is not the latest version...if you typed that number correctly.

The version I have is 6.00.2800.1123

>Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should try to get this back
>and working again?

I don't think I read from you whether this problem has devoloped...or
whether the printer has NEVER printed properly.

So...

Besides the above, make sure that printer can print the fonts that are
showing on the page.

Good luck...let us know.

Have a nice one...

Trent©