Velocity Reviews

-   -   internet sharing problems - Linksys router (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t216396-internet-sharing-problems-linksys-router.html)

Ladydeb 01-18-2005 03:51 PM

internet sharing problems - Linksys router

Hi there
I have been trying for 2 months to get a shared internet connection going,
using a Linksys cable DSL Router. I have a blueyonder broadband connection.
Trouble is when both pc's are hooked up to the router, neither will go
on-line. Both pc's recognise each other and recognise the router, but will
not connect to the internet.
Anyone have any ideas as to why?
I realise that this post is a bit technically vague, but I don't know a
great deal regarding computing and you intelligent folk out there seem to
know oodles.
Many thanks
In much anticipation
Debbie

Yddap 01-18-2005 04:15 PM

Re: internet sharing problems - Linksys router

In news:PfaHd.40$vC1.28@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
Ladydeb <me9@privacy.net> opined very noisily:
> Hi there
> I have been trying for 2 months to get a shared internet connection
> going, using a Linksys cable DSL Router. I have a blueyonder
> broadband connection. Trouble is when both pc's are hooked up to the
> router, neither will go on-line. Both pc's recognise each other and
> recognise the router, but will not connect to the internet.
> Anyone have any ideas as to why?
> I realise that this post is a bit technically vague, but I don't know
> a great deal regarding computing and you intelligent folk out there
> seem to know oodles.
> Many thanks
> In much anticipation
> Debbie

Try a post in " blueyonder.self-help.networking" you will find people with
the same or similar
set up to yours
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

SIXTHPISTOL 01-18-2005 04:19 PM

Re: internet sharing problems - Linksys router

I am a bit worried about interacting with anything blueyonderish, as I have
been informed that if they know you are connection sharing they may try to
charge you extra for your connection. I have no idea if this is true, but
thought it sensible to avoid blueyonder if possible. If its not true then,
yeah, thanks a lot, I will give it a go.
|Many thanks Yddap.
Debbie
news:ICaHd.13011$GG1.9431@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...

Yddap 01-18-2005 04:25 PM

Re: internet sharing problems - Linksys router

In news:pGaHd.91$vC1.25@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
SIXTHPISTOL <nowhere@flowerpower.com> opined very noisily:
> I am a bit worried about interacting with anything blueyonderish, as
> I have been informed that if they know you are connection sharing
> they may try to charge you extra for your connection. I have no idea
> if this is true, but thought it sensible to avoid blueyonder if
> possible. If its not true then, yeah, thanks a lot, I will give it a
> go.
>> Many thanks Yddap.

Blueyonder do not mind you using a Router they just do not support the use
of it
that is why the NG I pointed you to was a " users self help " one
:-)
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Duane Arnold 01-18-2005 05:30 PM

Re: internet sharing problems - Linksys router

"Ladydeb" <me9@privacy.net> wrote in

> Hi there
> I have been trying for 2 months to get a shared internet connection
> going, using a Linksys cable DSL Router. I have a blueyonder broadband
> connection. Trouble is when both pc's are hooked up to the router,
> neither will go on-line. Both pc's recognise each other and recognise
> the router, but will not connect to the internet.
> Anyone have any ideas as to why?
> I realise that this post is a bit technically vague, but I don't know
> a great deal regarding computing and you intelligent folk out there
> seem to know oodles.
> Many thanks
> In much anticipation
> Debbie

What IP(s) are the machines getting from the router? The machines can be
timing out and defaulting to an IP that will allow access on the LAN
between the machines, but since the machines didn't get an IP from the
router, they are not going to be able to access the Internet. So, what IP
(s) do the machines have when you go to the Command Prompt and enter
IPconfig /all?

Duane :)