Velocity Reviews

-   -   help with Gigabyte bios flash (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t216337-help-with-gigabyte-bios-flash.html)

gooch 01-17-2005 08:14 PM

help with Gigabyte bios flash

fitting a sempron 2600 onto a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ mobo..
Gigabyte's site has a bios download available to support
sempron processors... I 've downloaded the file
but the instructions on how to install the update (an html
page) is mostly question marks... jibberish...
the page that offers the link is
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...7VM400M-RZ.htm

I've never done this before and i'd rather use their instructions..I
found another site with vague instructions on how to do it but
sod that... can anyone get that html link to work or direct me
to some idiot proof guide...
(really enjoying my first build !.coffee/fag/coffee/fag/coffee./...)

why? 01-17-2005 08:38 PM

Re: help with Gigabyte bios flash

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:14:43 +0000 (UTC), gooch wrote:

>fitting a sempron 2600 onto a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ mobo..
>Gigabyte's site has a bios download available to support
> sempron processors... I 've downloaded the file
> but the instructions on how to install the update (an html
> page) is mostly question marks... jibberish...

That's a nice way to describe another language.

> the page that offers the link is
>http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...7VM400M-RZ.htm

which you are point out is the one just above the table - How to
reflash M/B BIOS?
http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...oReflash_1.htm
which is also in English.

HTML to TXT of the previous URI

GIGABYTE - How To Reflash MB BIOS?

Home > Support > Motherboard > BIOS > How to reflash MB BIOS

About updating BIOS...
The whole BIOS updating procedure should be treated with extreme
caution. If you do not encounter any system instability or bugs with the
current BIOS version, we suggest that you keep it. If you determine to
flash BIOS, you are taking a personal risk of BIOS flash failure. Please
contact your supplier or our distributors/resellers for further remedy
in case system crashes unfortunately because of BIOS flash failure.

Before you begin...

1. Please make sure the BIOS version you want to flash matches your
motherboard model.
2. If your BIOS is flash protected, please do not enable BIOS Flash
Protection under Advanced CMOS Setup (AMI BIOS) or Advanced BIOS
Features (AWARD BIOS) in BIOS menu.
3. Never interrupt when you BIOS is being updated.

Three BIOS Flash Utilities...
We provide three BIOS flash utilities at our website. Below are the
overviews.
1 :
A BIOS flash utility embedded in Flash ROM. Not all motherboards
have the Q-Flash™, please use @BIOS™ or DOS flash utility to
update BIOS if your motherboard does not have Q-Flash™.

Features-- With this utility, you only have to stay in the BIOS menu
when you want to update BIOS. No need to enter DOS or O.S. mode.
Caution-- Make sure you have a functional floppy disk with the
correct BIOS version for your motherboard.

Download PDF User Guide
2 :
A Windows-based BIOS live update utility.

Features-- @BIOS™ helps you search for, download, and then
update the latest BIOS in Windows operating system.
Caution-- Make sure your O.S. environment is stable.

Download PDF User Guide
3 : DOS Flash utility

Features-- The flash utility is a combination of AMI and AWARD BIOS
flash utility. You can use it with both AMI and AWARD BIOS.
Caution-- Make sure you have a functional DOS boot disk with the
correct BIOS version for your motherboard.

Download PDF User Guide

You will need to view these PDF files with Acrobat Reader.

======== end of paste============

Maybe you mean it's one of the PDF files you downloaded?

I have always likes the DOS method, a simple boot disk with the BIOS and
Flash utility.

>I've never done this before and i'd rather use their instructions..I
>found another site with vague instructions on how to do it but
> sod that... can anyone get that html link to work or direct me
> to some idiot proof guide...
>(really enjoying my first build !.coffee/fag/coffee/fag/coffee./...)

Me

gooch 01-17-2005 08:47 PM

Re: help with Gigabyte bios flash

ok... managed to get the html page up and think i'll use '@bios' i got
with the mobo to effect the update..
but will my new system boot with the bios it has since it doesn't
support the sempron ?

why? 01-17-2005 09:22 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:47:58 +0000 (UTC), gooch wrote:

>ok... managed to get the html page up and think i'll use '@bios' i got
>with the mobo to effect the update..

Read the PDF carefully, for some daft reason the BIOS is downloaded off
the internet, then you are asked to update while connected to the
internet you can't loose connection at this point or it's a dead system.

>but will my new system boot with the bios it has since it doesn't
>support the sempron ?

I would boot using the current CPU, upgrade the BIOS to get Sempron
support then upgrade the CPU.

Me

Billy 01-18-2005 06:48 AM

"gooch" <wilson.desoto@bttbroadand.comn> wrote in message
> ok... managed to get the html page up and think i'll use '@bios' i got
> with the mobo to effect the update..
> but will my new system boot with the bios it has since it doesn't
> support the sempron ?

How do you know which BIOS you currently have? Rev 4 should have Sempron
support.

If you can get that far you can flash the BIOS.
http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...shbios_dos.pdf