Velocity Reviews

-   -   Will formatting a drive allways get rid of a virus? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t216031-will-formatting-a-drive-allways-get-rid-of-a-virus.html)

Sash 01-13-2005 11:02 AM

Will formatting a drive allways get rid of a virus?

I just had a terrible infection, and I want to know if formatting a hard
drive will 100% get rid of these viruses.

Thanks

David Hemingsley 01-13-2005 03:49 PM

Re: Will formatting a drive allways get rid of a virus?

Yes because it totally blanks your harddrive

Lookout 01-13-2005 04:04 PM

Re: Will formatting a drive allways get rid of a virus?

No because there are boot sector viruses. But chances are it isn't one
of those. I haven't seen one of those in years. Which virus was it and
why did/are you doing a format?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 01-13-2005 04:16 PM

Sash wrote:

> I just had a terrible infection, and I want to know if formatting a hard
> drive will 100% get rid of these viruses.
>
> Thanks

As lookout mentioned, formatting does not remove everything. Chances are
probably better than 99% that formatting will get rid of your virus, but
if you want that to be 100% sure then do a wipe of the drive. See the
link below:

http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/...-wipe-zap.html

Richard 01-13-2005 05:08 PM

"Rgr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
> Sash wrote:
>
> > I just had a terrible infection, and I want to know if formatting a hard
> > drive will 100% get rid of these viruses.
> >
> > Thanks

> As lookout mentioned, formatting does not remove everything. Chances are
> probably better than 99% that formatting will get rid of your virus, but
> if you want that to be 100% sure then do a wipe of the drive. See the
> link below:
>
> http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/...-wipe-zap.html

Good idea. Limited to 8 gigs though.
If it's a maxtor, they have a utility to reset the entire drive back to
factory settings.
Including partitions!
If you really want to clean house, that's the way to do it.

Plato 01-13-2005 05:24 PM

Sash wrote:

> I just had a terrible infection, and I want to know if formatting a hard
> drive will 100% get rid of these viruses.

Not if its a boot sector virus.

Martha H Adams 01-13-2005 08:03 PM

Re: Will formatting a drive allways get rid of a virus?

Where a computer virus is concerned, I'd want to sterilize the thing.
Two thoughts come to mind.

1) cat /dev/zero > hd whichever. After a long time cat complains it
can no longer write into the drive because it's full. Whatever used
to be in the drive, is now covered over.

2) run badblocks -w on all the drive. Badblocks writes then reads
five cycles of data onto the drive, thereby killing whatever was
there.

I like badblocks because it both kills whatever is there, and
checks-out the drive's health.

*Be advised!* Both of my suggestions kill what's on the drive. If
you guess the least possibility you might want to fetch anything off
the drive, don't do these!

*And*, I'm an amateur at this stuff: my suggestions here might be
followed by much better down this thread, once something develops. So
don't stop here!

Cheers -- Martha Adams

Kleine Scheefgepoepte 01-13-2005 08:42 PM

Re: Will formatting a drive allways get rid of a virus?

Martha H Adams wrote:
<snip>

And what the **** are you telling me that for, eh?

Kleine Scheefgepoepte 01-13-2005 09:01 PM

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Martha H Adams wrote:
>> Where a computer virus is concerned, I'd want to sterilize the thing.
>> Two thoughts come to mind.
>>
>> 1) cat /dev/zero > hd whichever. After a long time cat complains it
>> can no longer write into the drive because it's full. Whatever used
>> to be in the drive, is now covered over.
>>
>> 2) run badblocks -w on all the drive. Badblocks writes then reads
>> five cycles of data onto the drive, thereby killing whatever was
>> there.
>>
>> I like badblocks because it both kills whatever is there, and
>> checks-out the drive's health.
>>
>> *Be advised!* Both of my suggestions kill what's on the drive. If
>> you guess the least possibility you might want to fetch anything off
>> the drive, don't do these!
>>
>> *And*, I'm an amateur at this stuff: my suggestions here might be
>> followed by much better down this thread, once something develops. So
>> don't stop here!
>>
>> Cheers -- Martha Adams

> I didn't have a ****ing clue, either.

Well at least you've got the balls to admit it.

Peter 01-13-2005 09:05 PM

Re: Will formatting a drive allways get rid of a virus?

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:03:19 +0000 (UTC), mha@TheWorld.com (Martha H
Adams) wrote:

>Where a computer virus is concerned, I'd want to sterilize the thing.
>Two thoughts come to mind.
>
>*Be advised!* Both of my suggestions kill what's on the drive. If
>you guess the least possibility you might want to fetch anything off
>the drive, don't do these!

Two other ideas:

Using the 'rescue' floppy or similar:
fdisk /MBR

This will re-write the master boot code taking any viruses with it.

Reboot then using fdisk, remove all partitions, this will clear the
boot records.
Then re-format.

A quicker way in Linux (after loading a Linux system off floppy or
CD), and one that is 'reversible' if you know how:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=100

This will wipe the first 100 sectors and will 'clean' the first
partition (whether FAT16 or FAT32. The second copy of the FAT remains
intact enabling 100% reconstruction if need be.

Remember that MS's FORMAT has a nasty habit of not writing a fresh
boot sector at the start of the partition if one exists already. This
applies even if the partition length defined in the boot sector is
longer than that defined in the Partition Table (this being a recipie
for disaster if not immediately then later).