Velocity Reviews

-   -   Eclipse and Central Point - are they any good? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t215553-eclipse-and-central-point-are-they-any-good.html)

Miss Perspicacia Tick 01-07-2005 11:16 AM

Eclipse and Central Point - are they any good?

I have read/heard nothing but good things about them. I am currently with
Wanadon't and the mailserver has gone down in my area (again!). I have just
about had enough (well I mean I have had enough) and want to switch to an
ISP that know what they're on about. Eclipse look a good deal (5pcm less
for 1Mbps, 5pcm more for 2Mbps).

The other one I was looking at was Control Point (they have an ad in the
current issue of PC Format) - they're even more reasonable, but they don't
do Usenet (Eclipse use Giganews) and offer Individual (which are text only).
They do 1Mbps for 25.50 and 2Mbps for 35.50 (IOW just 50p more a more for
2 than I'm currently paying Wanadon't for 1!).

I currently use a premium server (Ngroups) which have served me quite well,
but it's all extra expense (10pcm)...

So any opinions please? I called Eclipse this am and got straight through -
no queuing - which was fantastic and the guy I spoke to, Rob, knew exactly
what he was on about (which is more than can be said for Wanadon't).

So if you had a choice which would you go for - I am really looking for a
2Mbps service (and, before you ask, NTL and Telewest aren't available here -
we don't have cable, full stop).

ASDL Guide rates Eclipse as their best (CP isn't listed), but I want a
recommendation from someone with experience of them. Do they cap download
usage?

Thanks
--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on
salads.

Livewire 01-07-2005 11:37 AM

Re: Eclipse and Central Point - are they any good?

In article <WbuDd.3047$%K.1630@fe81.usenetserver.com>,
misstick@lancre.dw says...
> I have read/heard nothing but good things about them. I am currently with
> Wanadon't and the mailserver has gone down in my area (again!). I have just
> about had enough (well I mean I have had enough) and want to switch to an
> ISP that know what they're on about. Eclipse look a good deal (5pcm less
> for 1Mbps, 5pcm more for 2Mbps).
>
> The other one I was looking at was Control Point (they have an ad in the
> current issue of PC Format) - they're even more reasonable, but they don't
> do Usenet (Eclipse use Giganews) and offer Individual (which are text only).
> They do 1Mbps for 25.50 and 2Mbps for 35.50 (IOW just 50p more a more for
> 2 than I'm currently paying Wanadon't for 1!).
>
> I currently use a premium server (Ngroups) which have served me quite well,
> but it's all extra expense (10pcm)...
>
> So any opinions please? I called Eclipse this am and got straight through-
> no queuing - which was fantastic and the guy I spoke to, Rob, knew exactly
> what he was on about (which is more than can be said for Wanadon't).
>
> So if you had a choice which would you go for - I am really looking for a
> 2Mbps service (and, before you ask, NTL and Telewest aren't available here -
> we don't have cable, full stop).
>
> ASDL Guide rates Eclipse as their best (CP isn't listed), but I want a
> recommendation from someone with experience of them. Do they cap download
> usage?
>
> Thanks

I've got nothing other than more good things to add about Eclipse. I've
been with them for 2 years and have ,ever, never had a problem caused by
them rather than me. When I've rung for tech support (at normal landline
rates) they have been helpful and knowledgeable.

The only caveat is that they were been bought by Kingston
Telecommunications during last year. Kingston seem to be leaving well
alone at the moment, but I suppose it's possible things might change.

Miss Perspicacia Tick 01-07-2005 04:33 PM

Livewire wrote:
> In article <WbuDd.3047$%K.1630@fe81.usenetserver.com>,
> misstick@lancre.dw says...
>> I have read/heard nothing but good things about them. I am currently
>> with Wanadon't and the mailserver has gone down in my area (again!).
>> I have just about had enough (well I mean I have had enough) and
>> want to switch to an ISP that know what they're on about. Eclipse
>> look a good deal (5pcm less for 1Mbps, 5pcm more for 2Mbps).
>>
>> The other one I was looking at was Control Point (they have an ad in
>> the current issue of PC Format) - they're even more reasonable, but
>> they don't do Usenet (Eclipse use Giganews) and offer Individual
>> (which are text only). They do 1Mbps for 25.50 and 2Mbps for 35.50
>> (IOW just 50p more a more for 2 than I'm currently paying Wanadon't
>> for 1!).
>>
>> I currently use a premium server (Ngroups) which have served me
>> quite well, but it's all extra expense (10pcm)...
>>
>> So any opinions please? I called Eclipse this am and got straight
>> through - no queuing - which was fantastic and the guy I spoke to,
>> Rob, knew exactly what he was on about (which is more than can be
>> said for Wanadon't).
>>
>> So if you had a choice which would you go for - I am really looking
>> for a 2Mbps service (and, before you ask, NTL and Telewest aren't
>> available here - we don't have cable, full stop).
>>
>> ASDL Guide rates Eclipse as their best (CP isn't listed), but I want
>> a recommendation from someone with experience of them. Do they cap
>> download usage?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> I've got nothing other than more good things to add about Eclipse.
> I've been with them for 2 years and have ,ever, never had a problem
> caused by them rather than me. When I've rung for tech support (at
> normal landline rates) they have been helpful and knowledgeable.
>
> The only caveat is that they were been bought by Kingston
> Telecommunications during last year. Kingston seem to be leaving well
> alone at the moment, but I suppose it's possible things might change.

Thanks for that - but you didn't answer the main question - is monthly usage
capped? I get 30GBpcm with Wanadon't and I usually use around two-thirds of
that. Is Eclipse unlimited?
on salads.

Livewire 01-07-2005 05:34 PM

Re: Eclipse and Central Point - are they any good?

In article <FRyDd.3084$%K.762@fe81.usenetserver.com>, misstick@lancre.dw
says...
> Livewire wrote:
> > In article <WbuDd.3047$%K.1630@fe81.usenetserver.com>,
> > misstick@lancre.dw says...
> >> I have read/heard nothing but good things about them. I am currently
> >> with Wanadon't and the mailserver has gone down in my area (again!).
> >> I have just about had enough (well I mean I have had enough) and
> >> want to switch to an ISP that know what they're on about. Eclipse
> >> look a good deal (5pcm less for 1Mbps, 5pcm more for 2Mbps).
> >>
> >> The other one I was looking at was Control Point (they have an ad in
> >> the current issue of PC Format) - they're even more reasonable, but
> >> they don't do Usenet (Eclipse use Giganews) and offer Individual
> >> (which are text only). They do 1Mbps for 25.50 and 2Mbps for 35.50
> >> (IOW just 50p more a more for 2 than I'm currently paying Wanadon't
> >> for 1!).
> >>
> >> I currently use a premium server (Ngroups) which have served me
> >> quite well, but it's all extra expense (10pcm)...
> >>
> >> So any opinions please? I called Eclipse this am and got straight
> >> through - no queuing - which was fantastic and the guy I spoke to,
> >> Rob, knew exactly what he was on about (which is more than can be
> >> said for Wanadon't).
> >>
> >> So if you had a choice which would you go for - I am really looking
> >> for a 2Mbps service (and, before you ask, NTL and Telewest aren't
> >> available here - we don't have cable, full stop).
> >>
> >> ASDL Guide rates Eclipse as their best (CP isn't listed), but I want
> >> a recommendation from someone with experience of them. Do they cap
> >> download usage?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> > I've got nothing other than more good things to add about Eclipse.
> > I've been with them for 2 years and have ,ever, never had a problem
> > caused by them rather than me. When I've rung for tech support (at
> > normal landline rates) they have been helpful and knowledgeable.
> >
> > The only caveat is that they were been bought by Kingston
> > Telecommunications during last year. Kingston seem to be leaving well
> > alone at the moment, but I suppose it's possible things might change.

> Thanks for that - but you didn't answer the main question - is monthly usage
> capped? I get 30GBpcm with Wanadon't and I usually use around two-thirds of
> that. Is Eclipse unlimited?

Hi

No it's not capped -- use it as you will!